Sponsored

Would you buy an extended warranty? Maintenance contract?

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Picked up my Lariat today and the dealer tried to sell me a 7 year 100k warranty for $3400. Would you buy an extended warranty? Is that price reasonable?

another option was to buy an extended maintenance contract that covers all scheduled maintenance for the first 100k miles for $3000. Is that worth it?
No.

One thing you need to know about extended warranties is that the merchants who sell them have tremendous profit margins. For them, they literally just buy the service contract from another company, process a small bit of paperwork, and then try to mark it up by thousands. The dealer finance department is a huge profit center for the dealer, they can make way more there than they do on the vehicle sale itself, between extended warranties, high interest loans, insurance products, etc.

It's not just car warranties that are like that. When Best Buy sells you an extended warranty on your DVD (??), they have a huge profit margin built in there, for instance.

Depending on your risk tolerance and your personal experience with products being defective, it's up to you if an extended warranty is worth it. Just not at the prices your dealer quoted. The only option worth considering is Ford Protect, which is the official factory extended warranty. Since it's a Ford product, it's valid at any Ford dealer across the US and Canada (should you find yourself up there).

Some dealers choose to forgo the hundreds/thousands in profit per warranty, to instead sell them in huge volumes online, direct to consumer. Zeigler Ford, Flood Ford, Granger Ford. Those are just a few examples. They'll often charge only $50-100 over their cost, which is more than reasonable. Those are the dealers you'll want to buy it from, if you go that route. Get some quotes from those dealers and make your own decision.

Granger does have their own post on here about their offer:

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...-50-over-dealer-cost-from-granger-ford.11954/
Sponsored

V-blue Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep Cherokee and 2006 F-150 2022 Maverick EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No. Dealer had it on the contract and talked me into getting it, even tho I didn't really want it. $3300.00. I have since cancelled it and they sent a check to the bank, which reduced my loan balance by that much. Not worth it to me. The plan wasn't through Ford either.

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid, 2013 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like others have already said, it depends on you.

If you want an extended warranty, DO NOT get it from the dealer, they will always upcharge a lot. Go to Floodford, Granger or Zeigler. They sell the actual Ford Certified extended warranty pretty much at cost. But you have to use the warranty at Ford Dealerships only. You can't take it to your local shade tree mechanic.

Avoid third party warranties that say you can take it to any shade tree mechanic. Those are usually more expensive, and those companies can go out of business.

If you plan to sell/trade your vehicle after a couple years. I wouldn't bother getting one. You won't have the vehicle long enough to use the extended warranty, and most vehicles nowadays don't have many problems their first few years anyway.

I plan to get one, only because I always keep my vehicles for 15 years or so. I take care of my vehicles, take them in at every schedule maintenance cycle, drive conservatively and don't drive them into the group. So they always last me for a long time. For me, having that extra piece of mind is worth it.

OP
OP

tborr123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Planning to get a Ford ESP warranty through Granger. Question: the quote they gave me excludes exterior/interior lights (a $70 reduction on the premium) and also excludes the key copy and first day car rental (don't care about these two). My question: are lights enough of a concern on a Maverick that I should spring for that coverage?

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i'LL ADMIT it is tempting....had a minor display screen problem, that ended up being under warranty....cable came unplugged under the dash. Dealer Service advisor informed me that anything not under warranty would have a $183 charge just to raise the hood and plug in their diagnostic computer...no work but all non-warranty service has to receive that charge.

The days of the shade tree mechanic are over the hill...we will all be dependent on our Local Authorized Ford Dealer for almost everything, except tires, brake pads, etc. What the dealer dont make on truck sales they will make up on those $183 charges.

Sponsored

RonR1959

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EXACTLY. When the finance guy pitched me a 100,000 warranty I asked my him if this covered me until 136,000 miles or is he really pushing a 64,000 mile warranty? You could tell by the look on his face that his you-know-what puckered.
That’s why I never, ever buy an extended warranty!! If only others would realize that and educate themselves on Economics 101.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EXACTLY. When the finance guy pitched me a 100,000 warranty I asked my him if this covered me until 136,000 miles or is he really pushing a 64,000 mile warranty? You could tell by the look on his face that his you-know-what puckered.
Well, you can get a 150,000 mile Ford ESP if that's what you want.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, you can get a 150,000 mile Ford ESP if that's what you want.
Yep. Not really sure what the problem is. Standard practice on extended warranties is to advertise the new duration, not how much it adds. When you buy an 8 year, 150,000 mi ESP, it’s very clear that the warranty now ends at the earlier of 8 years or 150,000 mi. No need to state how much is added to the 3/36 and 5/60 warranties, let alone get 8/100 Hybrid/electric power train component warranties where applicable.

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What I think is as important as cost is what's covered. Powertrain 29, base care 84, extra care 113 and premium 100+ components. What I found is extra is the beginning of hi tech things and premium is essentially bumper-to-bumper.

In a nut shell; base is the XL plan, extra has the main power/instrument/ACC/securicode, cruise type coverage (XLT plan) and premium=Lariat Lux.

The rising costs are 120, 140 and 280 dollars. I'm leaning extra because the premium covers a lot of stuff my XLT isn't equipped with. I'm also going with the $200 deductible because I'll pony up for small stuf and consider an ESP for high dollar value parts & repairs.

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Planning to get a Ford ESP warranty through Granger. Question: the quote they gave me excludes exterior/interior lights (a $70 reduction on the premium) and also excludes the key copy and first day car rental (don't care about these two). My question: are lights enough of a concern on a Maverick that I should spring for that coverage?
From what I've heard on the forum here and what is provided in the brochure Ford will replace any failed external lighting to include LED lights. The front LED headlights are not owner maintainable which means the whole housing has to be replaced. Cost for one headlamp exceeds $1000. I thought I saw that cost closer to $1200 on another post. Light coverage would be worth the $70 on the Maverick.

I am so on the fence about all of this. I can get an 8yr/100k extended warranty with lights, key service, and 1st day rental plus an 8yr/100k maintenance plan from Granger for $3,275. I plan to hold on to the Maverick that long so it may be worth it. I've had seven other Fords over the years. Five of those seven I kept past 100k miles. One I had the extended warranty on and never used it. One of the six that I didn't have the extended warranty on cost me a $1600 engine repair bill at 65k miles. It's a quandary for me...

Sponsored

DeezTrucks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Sonata, 2002 Subaru WRX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't feel like it's worth the extra money, I had an extended warranty on my current car and I went past the mileage within 2 years. I'm getting my Maverick from Ted Russell solely because they include a lifetime Powertrain warranty for free. I've heard better purchasing experiences at other local dealers (Lance Cunningham Ford) but they don't offer the Powertrain included from what I know.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't feel like it's worth the extra money, I had an extended warranty on my current car and I went past the mileage within 2 years. I'm getting my Maverick from Ted Russell solely because they include a lifetime Powertrain warranty for free. I've heard better purchasing experiences at other local dealers (Lance Cunningham Ford) but they don't offer the Powertrain included from what I know.
Blowing past the mileage allotment in 2 years, I know people like that. To quote a song I heard, for them "Driving is like a spiritual cleanse."

Anyhow, about specific dealers that offer lifetime powertrain coverage or lifetime oil changes, I'm wary of basing a purchasing decision on coverage like that because I don't plan to be living in the same place in 2 years, or maybe even in 10.

It would be a very different story if that coverage was usable at any Ford dealership, of course.

DeezTrucks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Sonata, 2002 Subaru WRX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Blowing past the mileage allotment in 2 years, I know people like that. To quote a song I heard, for them "Driving is like a spiritual cleanse."

Anyhow, about specific dealers that offer lifetime powertrain coverage or lifetime oil changes, I'm wary of basing a purchasing decision on coverage like that because I don't plan to be living in the same place in 2 years, or maybe even in 10.

It would be a very different story if that coverage was usable at any Ford dealership, of course.
It is usable at any Ford dealership. That's the kicker.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So when you said "I'm getting my Maverick from Ted Russell solely because they include a lifetime Powertrain warranty for free.", you mean that that powertrain warranty is usable at any Ford dealer nationwide?

The ones I've looked into, that stuff is dealer-specific, since it's not a Ford service contract.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good luck getting a dealer to honor another dealers "lifetime warranty". How exactly would that work?
Sponsored