Sponsored

Windshield Alignment Pin - Rattle Silenced…finally.

E30andrew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's how would have described mine. It was a constant "clicking" with the passenger side being more noticeable. As soon as I had the pins pulled, the windshield has been silent.
Thanks, it has definitely gotten a bit annoying after only a few days hearing it. Did you have it done at the dealership? how long did it take? Would be great to not have to leave it at the dealership for a few days.
Sponsored

mdl20813

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks, it has definitely gotten a bit annoying after only a few days hearing it. Did you have it done at the dealership? how long did it take? Would be great to not have to leave it at the dealership for a few days.
I had to have my windshield replaced a couple months ago so I took it back to the glass place. They had the pins out and everything put back together in 15-20 min.

stretch119

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone have any video/audio of what this 'rattle' sounds like? I noticed while driving the last few days there would be an audible 'tick' or 'click' coming from what sounds like the passenger side of my windshield. I wouldnt call it a rattle, but more like a click occasionally. Is that what this is?
Mine sounded like a passenger side “tick” or “click” as well. I followed the instructions in the post that @GTBuzz shared above and removed the passenger side alignment pin. The passenger side noise is completely gone.

Now that the passenger side is so quiet, I’ve noticed that I seem to get an occasional click from the drive side as well. I may repeat the process on the driver side tonight. It only took about 15min, so it’s very easy.

OP
OP
Braderick

Braderick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT, RAV4 Hybrid, KIA EV6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I felt more comfortable melting the short pin off. I used an automotive panel removal tool to separate the glued base from the windshield. Other assorted tools as needed. Heavy use of silicone pads everywhere…the iron gets super hot.
Ford Maverick Windshield Alignment Pin - Rattle Silenced…finally. IMG_8065

Ford Maverick Windshield Alignment Pin - Rattle Silenced…finally. IMG_8060

Ford Maverick Windshield Alignment Pin - Rattle Silenced…finally. IMG_7964

Ford Maverick Windshield Alignment Pin - Rattle Silenced…finally. IMG_7968

Ford Maverick Windshield Alignment Pin - Rattle Silenced…finally. IMG_7967

Ford Maverick Windshield Alignment Pin - Rattle Silenced…finally. IMG_7969

Added for context…
Ford Maverick Windshield Alignment Pin - Rattle Silenced…finally. IMG_7963

Last edited:

Sponsored

kkreit01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick, '17 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So you melted it first, in order to loosen the glue from the windshield? Then the whole thing popped off?

OP
OP
Braderick

Braderick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT, RAV4 Hybrid, KIA EV6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Melted the pin off between the metal and plastic base. (The metal pin locator is easy to bend downwards if more space needed.) Plastic base was separated from glass using automotive pry tool. Pulled the base out with small hook tool. Veery, very, very carefully.
It’s risky…so any efforts made are an individual’s owndecision.
I’m happy with my results, and thought it a less risky method than a saw blade, nor did I want the windshield pulled/replaced.

Ford Maverick Windshield Alignment Pin - Rattle Silenced…finally. 1682177396081

Last edited:

JME42

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I felt more comfortable melting the short pin off. I used an automotive panel removal tool to separate the glued base from the windshield. Other assorted tools as needed. Heavy use of silicone pads everywhere…the iron gets super hot.
IMG_8065.jpeg

IMG_8060.jpeg

IMG_7964.jpeg

IMG_7968.jpeg

IMG_7967.jpeg

IMG_7969.jpeg

Added for context…
IMG_7963.jpeg
Removed the alignment pins over the weekend exactly as described here and am happy to report the cold weather rattle noise on both sides is now completely gone!

tkammen270

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav, 92 Legacy, 05 WRX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have had this noise for one year. It drives me crazy in the cold. Finding this thread is a miracle. I plan on removing the pins today. Below is a video of the sound I have been hearing.

Blu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What about just wrapping it in some foam rubber instead of cutting it?

Sponsored

tkammen270

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav, 92 Legacy, 05 WRX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did not cut the pins. I was only getting the noise from the passenger side. I pried on the metal a little and maybe moved it a eighth of an inch and no more noise. A lot easier than cutting it. If the noise comes back I will address it again. I'm just happy to know what is causing the noise.

clos0791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Alto Blue AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What about just wrapping it in some foam rubber instead of cutting it?
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe wrapping the pin with foam or rubber tape?

deej

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick 2.0 Lariat, AWD, 4K, Lux, BAP, HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe wrapping the pin with foam or rubber tape?
I've been thinking maybe squirt a little silicon sealant around it to stop it from moving?

jcosh84

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did not cut the pins. I was only getting the noise from the passenger side. I pried on the metal a little and maybe moved it a eighth of an inch and no more noise. A lot easier than cutting it. If the noise comes back I will address it again. I'm just happy to know what is causing the noise.
thank you! This has been driving me insane since I purchased the truck. I’ve tried so many things to get it to work and nothing has been effective. Today I was about to go ahead and start cutting the pins off when I saw your comment about bending the metal and it absolutely worked and if it comes back like you said, I’ll address it then. Taking a set of needle nose and just bending it back-and-forth pinching the pin or even just providing space is the solution for now.

Last edited:

jcosh84

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well that was short lived. It’s back and it’s worse than before. I’m literally going to lose my mind. Every dealership around me doesn’t even want to take my appointment because they said they’ve never heard of my issue and don’t want to sign up for a witch hunt.

** came home after a maddening drive of “ticking” and got out the heat gun- pry tools and multi.

pulled A-pillar, looked up its right there. Hit with some heat. Pried loose, and cut in half. Next update is if it’s fixed.
Sponsored

Last edited: