Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Taurus Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I figure the unibody construction leaves little open room. Will we be able to install a winch behind the front bumper?
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
If someone designs and markets one, I don’t see why not.

MarkG

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
If there is a market for it I am sure an aftermarket manufacturer would make a replacement bumper that would accommodate a winch.

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I started a small conversation about wishes for a hidden winch in the sema measurement post Dont know how hidden it can me due to cooling ducts are so low on Maverick. Someone posted a picture of how creative they have gotten with winches on Subarus

Time will tell once the experts get ahold of a Maverick on how “hidden” it can be

Reactions: JJC
OP
OP

jonathan1994

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Taurus Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So the hybrid will have more room since it's not intercooled?

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have seen this on other off-road vehicles. A 2" trailer hitch (pipe) welded or bolted to the front frame and the 2" hitch sticking out in front of a bumper several inches. Harbor Freight and others sell a winch mounting plate that goes into the 2" hitch in the front and that you attach a winch to....so the winch is easy to attach and remove....probably not a good idea to ride down the interstate with a winch mounted...but this works to get someone out of a ditch with a portable winch mountable to front or rear. Would be useful for someone with only Front/2 Wheel drive. People use the portable winch mount from HF on the rear hitch all the time, who don't want a winch mounted permanently.

All of the above depends on finding a piece of the frame that will not cause interference when doing service work. On the front it does not have to be centered.

Last edited:

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
I figure the unibody construction leaves little open room. Will we be able to install a winch behind the front bumper?
Are you getting an FX4 with tow hooks? I want to believe somehow, some way the tow hooks are bolted (not welded) to the unibody frame. If so it would then involve a little creative fabricating (i.e. welding) of a u-shaped 2" front hitch receiver mount and bolting it at the tow hook positions, then using a 5-8K or whatever winch and quick-mount plate. I know that's not the type of winch and mount you're looking for but don't see why that wouldn't work. You could also run it off your rear hitch receiver if desired. Running cables/anderson-type connectors to front and rear a PITA but gives max. flexibility, rigged it this way on my Kaw. UTV and it worked a treat.
Ford Maverick Winch in front bumper? tow hook

I was surprised that Curt makes a front hitch receiver mount for the (unibody) Honda Ridgeline CURT Trailer Hitches & Towing Accessories Installation Instructions (carid.com) but when mounted it looks VERY low to the ground and even if Curt eventually made one for the Maverick not sure I'd use it.

Reactions: JJC

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
Are you getting an FX4 with tow hooks? I want to believe somehow, some way the tow hooks are bolted (not welded) to the unibody frame. If so it would then involve a little creative fabricating (i.e. welding) of a u-shaped 2" front hitch receiver mount and bolting it at the tow hook positions, then using a 5-8K or whatever winch and quick-mount plate. I know that's not the type of winch and mount you're looking for but don't see why that wouldn't work. You could also run it off your rear hitch receiver if desired. Running cables/anderson-type connectors to front and rear a PITA but gives max. flexibility, rigged it this way on my Kaw. UTV and it worked a treat.
tow hook.jpg

I was surprised that Curt makes a front hitch receiver mount for the (unibody) Honda Ridgeline CURT Trailer Hitches & Towing Accessories Installation Instructions (carid.com) but when mounted it looks VERY low to the ground and even if Curt eventually made one for the Maverick not sure I'd use it.
I have a 2" front receiver for my '11 Ranger. It would be nice if I could adapt it to the existing toe hook mounts.

Unclemud

First Name
Vhris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I would be very interested in a front mount receiver hitch (or duals at the tow hook mounting points) for a platform for bikes or a short cargo box.

Sponsored

StrangeScience

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Front tow hooks are bolted on, at least they are on the Bronco Sport. I'd assume same part/mounting method on the Maverick.
1629395729282.png
Ford Maverick Winch in front bumper? {filename}

The shaft is screwed and then bolted in the correct, clocked position. A three-piece mount in front of the existing plastic bumper could be fabricated.

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
While I’m sure someone will eventually make a mount my take is if you want a winch you already bought the FX4 package so you have tow hooks.
It’s not hard to use a turfer winch or pulls-all to get out if you have a pull point on the truck…like a hook or something.

Fredvon4

Banned
Banned
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep grand cherokee
I would bet any truck with ACC and or Park sense, has very limited options for anything out front. In some of the photos above are a cell phone shaped item, most likely the ACC RADAR transceiver

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT -Hot Chili Red - 4k Tow Fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The problem I keep running into is the intercooler and trans cooler. The only way I can see getting a winch in front is to build supports that bolt back into the body with some rectangular tube that can be bolted or pinched but pinching will cause the body members to distort and what that will do to the straightness of the front end is questionable. Welding tubes into the front end may be the only way to make it happen in a way that doesn't pull the body out of parallel. Still working on how to make it happen. Would have been nice to have the entire front of the truck built separately more like a 71 Camaro or the early unibody designs where the front suspension was bolted to the body section as a unit with a reinforcing frame.