Sponsored

Will The XLT Hybrid hold better value than the AWD?

Stumblios

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2023 ford bronco sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Eastern Canadian here, and it is my opinion that unless you live deep in one of the big southern cities, TO. VAN. you will be better off with the awd mainly for road security. From a stats point in Canada you are more likely to get in winter accident if you dont have 4x4 or AWD.
That said if I lived in TO or VAN I would consider get the hybrid because the winter isn't as bad in the south and the roads are cleared pretty quick in the big cities
Sponsored

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It wasn't that long ago that the ports were plugged up with ships full of oil looking for a place to unload, and gas was < $1.00 at Costco for a brief time. Now the ports are plugged up with ships full of Chinese chips and gas is > $3.00 headed to $4. If the gas prices are $4.00 or higher the hybrid will be more valuable, and if they approach $1.00 again the EB AWD will be more valuable. Every hands a winner as long as you know when to hold and when to fold.

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
I think it will hold better value next 5 10 years. We are in a transition to electric vehicles with hybrid in the mix. I think the legacy auto makers are going to be in for a big surprise. . . From my observation Ford is the only one moving in the right direction and might not be fast enough. If you watch any of Monro's videos I think he is correct. His prediction half of vehicles on the road will be ev by 2028.

Just to edit, I'm in Canada and although would like awd, fwd with good snow tires will do really well in winter. I once passed a Rang Rover which was driving sideways up a snowy hill with its summer tires on. I was driving front wheel drive Corolla with snows and had no problem.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It wasn't that long ago that the ports were plugged up with ships full of oil looking for a place to unload, and gas was < $1.00 at Costco for a brief time. Now the ports are plugged up with ships full of Chinese chips and gas is > $3.00 headed to $4. If the gas prices are $4.00 or higher the hybrid will be more valuable, and if they approach $1.00 again the EB AWD will be more valuable. Every hands a winner as long as you know when to hold and when to fold.
I think the days of gasoline at $1.XX are over for good, and it only goes up from here. We own our last two fully ICE vehicles right now. The Maverick hybrid will replace the Forte, and somewhere down the line a full EV will replace our G70.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Per Ford: MSRP starting at $39,974 -- so yeah, the F-150 Lightning starts at 40k
Strange, I'd never seen that page before! Guess the preview thing I'd seen was talking about a specific high end trim.

Edit: Guess I was confused. On Ford.ca (I'm in Canada) I found a similar page, but Ford lists it starting at $68k! Wow, huge price jump just going slightly north. Of course the Maverick starts at just over $25k here as well, so everything is more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Strange, I'd never seen that page before! Guess the preview thing I'd seen was talking about a specific high end trim.
Yeah, the 40k version is the bare bones "Work truck" version they expect to only sell to commercial customers

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually without getting into your math you have already made a glaring error that effect most of us that live in colder environments Although some EV’s have improved the HVAC with a heat pump many still don’t have this option.
Gosh, what a glaring error! I'm really sorry that I didn't include your specific cold weather or specific gas mileage in my calculations. I mean, you didn't mention them in yours either, but I should have known you were thinking about them. Mea Culpa.:cry:

That said, you actually do have to get into the math. And a few other things.

(1) The Leaf EV, with a resistance heater running at full output constantly all year, loses about 25% of its range (see article below). If you expect to burn 61 kwh/day in and EV that would mean about 4,000 miles a month. At your 31.7 mpg rate, that would be about $500 in gas per month versus about $300 for electricity.

(2) EVs are switching to heat pumps. They are about 3 times as efficient as resistance heaters.

(3) If you really think these calculations are bad (which they could be), maybe you could "get into the math" and explain how you came up with your estimate. That would help.

Charged EVs | A closer look at why heat pumps are dominating EV HVAC systems - Charged EVs

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMO, it will hold it's value. I think the mechanical parts if the hybrid have potential to last longer and cost less to own than the EB parts. That being said, will it hold value? 🤷‍♂️ Time will tell.

Any similar vehicles to compare it to? Maybe you could find a used FWD escape? although, right now, any lemon is holding value.
With inflation as it stands today a cooler with 4 wheels will hold its value.
Splitting hairs at this point.

You want to your investment to increase in value buy gold and land.
A sprinkle of crypto wont hurt.😇

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You want to your investment to increase in value buy gold and land.
A sprinkle of crypto wont hurt.😇
Also, Twinkies. You can't go wrong with Twinkies. If you buy some Twinkies now and keep the packages sealed, your great-great-great-grandchildren can eat them in the next century.

And, come the apocalypse, Twinkies will be worth their weight in ... Twinkies, I guess.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It wasn't that long ago that the ports were plugged up with ships full of oil looking for a place to unload, and gas was < $1.00 at Costco for a brief time. Now the ports are plugged up with ships full of Chinese chips and gas is > $3.00 headed to $4.
It's like being on a see-saw.

According to the Wall Street Journal last week, "global supply-chain woes are beginning to recede." And a couple of days ago they reported that "oil prices fell more than 11%" on fears of the new COVID variant.

Prices always rise over time, but it's hard to say whether current supply and price issues are the new normal or just part of a cycle.

The only thing I am fairly certain of is that -- if the supply chain and oil price situation eases -- people will not relax and say "Wow, this is great." Instead, they will move on to the next thing that the media suggests might well be the end of the world as we know it.

Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's like being on a see-saw.

According to the Wall Street Journal last week, "global supply-chain woes are beginning to recede." And a couple of days ago they reported that "oil prices fell more than 11%" on fears of the new COVID variant.

Prices always rise over time, but it's hard to say whether current supply and price issues are the new normal or just part of a cycle.

The only thing I am fairly certain of is that -- if the supply chain and oil price situation eases -- people will not relax and say "Wow, this is great." Instead, they will move on to the next thing that the media suggests might well be the end of the world as we know it.
Supply chain issues are a tail wind for earnings… when was it in best interest of the monopolies to make room for more supply. Hummm never. This fabricated supply chain issues are just that. You will never go back to the days of multiple suppliers for the same part. Never will you be able to walk in a show room and buy good and services with your Twinkies.
The old world is dead and anyone thinking otherwise may just as well bite the bullet.
ps how did land, gold and alternate forms of monies compared to a crapy sweet item used to explain holding onto things that will not go down in value?

Your truck or the cooler with 4 wheels will hold more value then your weekly paycheck. Or retirement payout or SS installments.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Supply chain issues are a tail wind for earnings… when was it in best interest of the monopolies to make room for more supply. Hummm never. This fabricated supply chain issues are just that. You will never go back to the days of multiple suppliers for the same part. Never will you be able to walk in a show room and buy good and services with your Twinkies.
The old world is dead and anyone thinking otherwise may just as well bite the bullet.
ps how did land, gold and alternate forms of monies compared to a crapy sweet item used to explain holding onto things that will not go down in value?
First... maybe modify your reply so it points to the post you are replying to. Otherwise, people will wonder why you are ranting about Twinkies when they should be laughing at my Twinkie jokes.

Second... you seem sure the old world is dead and current supply chain issues were created by an evil monopolistic conspiracy. That's fine with me. Hey, I believe in Twinkies. Who am I to criticize?

Third... and most important... how can you call a Twinkie a "crappy sweet item"? I'm sorry, but that's going too far. I demand pistols at dawn! (Immediately after my latte and breakfast Twinkie, of course.)
Ford Maverick Will The XLT Hybrid hold better value than the AWD? 1638130091804

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Gosh, what a glaring error! I'm really sorry that I didn't include your specific cold weather or specific gas mileage in my calculations. I mean, you didn't mention them in yours either, but I should have known you were thinking about them. Mea Culpa.:cry:

That said, you actually do have to get into the math. And a few other things.

(1) The Leaf EV, with a resistance heater running at full output constantly all year, loses about 25% of its range (see article below). If you expect to burn 61 kwh/day in and EV that would mean about 4,000 miles a month. At your 31.7 mpg rate, that would be about $500 in gas per month versus about $300 for electricity.

(2) EVs are switching to heat pumps. They are about 3 times as efficient as resistance heaters.

(3) If you really think these calculations are bad (which they could be), maybe you could "get into the math" and explain how you came up with your estimate. That would help.

Charged EVs | A closer look at why heat pumps are dominating EV HVAC systems - Charged EVs
No worries, you seem to want to be is disagreement. I see the pros and cons in each gas and EV. My view is what I found when trying to find my next vertical.
Good luck in finding someone to argue with, I’m sure you will be able to find someone.

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

First... maybe modify your reply so it points to the post you are replying to. Otherwise, people will wonder why you are ranting about Twinkies when they should be laughing at my Twinkie jokes.

Second... you seem sure the old world is dead and current supply chain issues were created by an evil monopolistic conspiracy. That's fine with me. Hey, I believe in Twinkies. Who am I to criticize?

Third... and most important... how can you call a Twinkie a "crappy sweet item"? I'm sorry, but that's going too far. I demand pistols at dawn! (Immediately after my latte and breakfast Twinkie, of course.)
1638130091804.png
I see you want to argue with just about everyone, good for you…I would say anytime you can fit in Twinkie that’s a win.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see you want to argue with just about everyone, good for you…I would say anytime you can fit in Twinkie that’s a win.
You want to tell people that getting an EV will quadruple your home electric usage. Good for you.

@TheGriffin1313 wants to tell people the current supply chain issues are fabricated. Good for him.

I want to tell people they should be skeptical of such claims. So... good for me, right?
Sponsored