Sponsored

Will The XLT Hybrid hold better value than the AWD?

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
RAV4 Hybrids value didn't tank when the RAV4 Prime came out, so I don't see it causing a huge drop in value. A Maverick Plug in will cost significantly more than the standard hybrid. A full electric might, but that again would be a big price bump. You'd be looking at a $40-60k price tag for a full electric.
I said at an affordable price. Everyone is rapidly investing in battery technology and prices continue to decline. The RAV4 prime is excellent but also equivalently pricey. It is worth noting Toyota holds its value across the board much better than Ford and is expected to last longer.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

your numbers are pretty extreme, but they can be easily used to determine the correct course of action.
Not extreme at all. That's what replacement hybrid batteries cost in non-plug in Toyota Hybrids (installed). The price of battery packs is expensive, due to the materials used. In any case all of your scenarios are based on the assumption that you buy something just to trade it in/sell it, that won't be the case for every owner. For some it will be worth more to replace the battery and keep the vehicle on the road than not. Nobody who is planning to sell the vehicle is going to buy a new battery before doing so. Typically you see a large influx of used hybrids come onto dealer lots just before or after the battery warranty runs out, so that would be the second owners problem. If you buy a vehicle based on what it might be worth in 8-10 years, that's kind of odd to me. A vehicle is for use, it's not an investment, what you get out of it is worth far more than the cash value, IMO. If anything the bad buy is the 2.0 EB, the resale value of gas vehicles will likely tank over the next 10 years as electric and alternative fuel vehicles take over the market. At the same time fossil fuel prices will continue to rise with taxes and disinvestment in drilling occurs.

I said at an affordable price. Everyone is rapidly investing in battery technology and prices continue to decline. The RAV4 prime is excellent but also equivalently pricey. It is worth noting Toyota holds its value across the board much better than Ford and is expected to last longer.
Prices for batteries have not dropped significantly in recent years, due to the valuable materials involved. A 1.1kwh battery simply costs less than 14.1kwh battery that plug-in hybrids typically use. Even with new technology coming, which always costs more for a while, it wont be seen in consumer goods for at least 10-15 years at best due to that cost. By that time the 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrids won't be worth much anyway due to the typical mileage vehicles get in that time.

In terms of price, I used the RAV4 Hybrid vs Prime as an example, to show that there will be a price jump between models, and that the introduction of one will not cause the price of the other to drop significantly, not right away. If the plug-in models become the standard model, and somehow they can price it at $20K USD, sure. That is highly unlikely in the short term though.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What makes you think the battery will only last 8 years? They are warrantied that long, doesn't mean they will die at 7 years and 364 days. Plenty of hybrids on the road older than that with original batteries. The average life span should be 10-15 years for these batteries. Got over 150k miles on my 2008 Camry Hybrids original battery (vehicle was built in August 2007), and it is still chugging along. Plenty of Toyota Hybrids out there with over 200k miles on them. The 1.1-1.5kw batteries usually cost $5-10k depending on the chemistry of the battery, and how new the vehicle is. If it dies under warranty, it's not the owners problem.

As to whether it's worth replacing, that is up to the owner. A $5-8k battery is a lot cheaper than a $19-30k new vehicle. There is more to absolute value than just resale value. Usability is a value in and of itself.

RAV4 Hybrids value didn't tank when the RAV4 Prime came out, so I don't see it causing a huge drop in value. A Maverick Plug in will cost significantly more than the standard hybrid. A full electric might, but that again would be a big price bump. You'd be looking at a $40-60k price tag for a full electric.
I think the F150 electric starts at 40k. I doubt the Maverick world be that much.

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not extreme at all. That's what replacement hybrid batteries cost in non-plug in Toyota Hybrids (installed). The price of battery packs is expensive, due to the materials used. In any case all of your scenarios are based on the assumption that you buy something just to trade it in/sell it, that won't be the case for every owner. For some it will be worth more to replace the battery and keep the vehicle on the road than not. Nobody who is planning to sell the vehicle is going to buy a new battery before doing so. Typically you see a large influx of used hybrids come onto dealer lots just before or after the battery warranty runs out, so that would be the second owners problem. If you buy a vehicle based on what it might be worth in 8-10 years, that's kind of odd to me. A vehicle is for use, it's not an investment, what you get out of it is worth far more than the cash value, IMO. If anything the bad buy is the 2.0 EB, the resale value of gas vehicles will likely tank over the next 10 years as electric and alternative fuel vehicles take over the market. At the same time fossil fuel prices will continue to rise with taxes and disinvestment in drilling occurs.

Prices for batteries have not dropped significantly in recent years, due to the valuable materials involved. A 1.1kwh battery simply costs less than 14.1kwh battery that plug-in hybrids typically use. Even with new technology coming, which always costs more for a while, it wont be seen in consumer goods for at least 10-15 years at best due to that cost. By that time the 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrids won't be worth much anyway due to the typical mileage vehicles get in that time.

In terms of price, I used the RAV4 Hybrid vs Prime as an example, to show that there will be a price jump between models, and that the introduction of one will not cause the price of the other to drop significantly, not right away. If the plug-in models become the standard model, and somehow they can price it at $20K USD, sure. That is highly unlikely in the short term though.
It’s always good to hear alternative views of subjects such as these. I’m not against EV, but only pointing out questions I would ponder When making large purchases. I installed solar on my house roughly 12 months ago and it has been a good investment. We get over 300 days of sun per year and I have a roof that in nearly perfect To capture the sun. The interesting fact on EV is the additional power that they require On current demand. I currently use roughly 20KWH per day with no EV, the estimated daily millage I drive would require 90% of. 68Kw battery. That would indicate roughly 3x my typical usage. My concern with the reduction of fossil fuels is where do we get the power. The utility grib isn’t prepared for it and much of the nation wouldn’t benefit from solar. Lastly, older homes don’t have a electrical service rated for a sizable service..

anyway, thIngs I consider as we move to this new age of EV.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Per your thread the 15 year vehicle is still only worth est 3k to 5k plus the cost of the new $10k battery.
FWIW, I just looked up a remanufactured 1.1 kwh battery for the Ford Escape and it was $2,449. I think that's the route people are more likely to follow. 2010-2013 Ford Escape Hybrid Battery - Best Hybrid Batteries

the estimated daily millage I drive would require 90% of. 68Kw battery. That would indicate roughly 3x my typical [20KWH per day] usage.
90% of a 68 kwh battery per day is about 61 kwh usage per day. I guess the way to look at it would be to compare the cost of that additional electricity to the cost of buying gas. (I'm ignoring the cost of installing a charger, etc., because you were just talking about KWH usage.)

Gas: The average EV gets 2.9 mi/kwh. At that rate, 61 kwh a day equals about 5,400 miles per month. At 28 mpg, that's 192 gallons of gas per month -- about $750 per month at current prices. I assume that's about what you are already paying to drive 65,000 miles a year.

EV: That 61 kwh per day is about 1855 kwh per month. KWH prices vary from state to state, ranging from 10 cents in Washington to 23 cents in California. Using 17 cents per kwh, 1885 kwh is about $316 a month. About half of what you are paying now for gas.

(Check my figures. I've been wrong before... today, actually.):sneaky:

My concern with the reduction of fossil fuels is where do we get the power. The utility grib isn’t prepared for it and much of the nation wouldn’t benefit from solar. Lastly, older homes don’t have a electrical service rated for a sizable service..
Those are good reasons why it would be impractical to switch everyone to EV overnight. Fortunately, that's not what is likely to happen. The transition away from fossil fuels is and will remain slow and partial. The energy grid needs updating and that seems to be in the works. Older homes are slowly being renovated. The future comes slowly.

Meanwhile, here in Arizona they are putting in one massive solar field after another and tying them into the existing grid -- so change is coming.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The matter of the hybrid being more popular is undisputed but value is a tricky subject. One thing for sure is that supply drives demand.

The hybrid being the lower-cost, standard model almost guarantees that it will be in greater supply driving down it’s price. Think every pool and lawn company running around with one.

It is my opinion that the AWD will have less supply and increasing it’s resale price.

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
I think the unexpected interest in hybrids over ecoboost Maverick orders, along with the announcement that hybrids were sold out earlier this month for the 2022 model year bode well for future values in secondary markets. The same way the number of people ordering XLT’s with the luxury package, suggests that it’s a more popular trim and those features will be more sought after in the secondary market.

There may be some preferences in your local market that you have to consider. If most vehicles have AWD, or 4wd in your area and yours doesn’t that may hurt the hybrid’s value. Local preferences can easily override aggregated preferences, especially if those features are deemed necessary due to something like driving conditions.

It’s a new vehicle launch, even though they’re using existing parts/technology, so any problems on down the line may change perceptions and preferences. Ford‘s overall tend to hold their values rather well but we will have to wait and see if problems creep up in one engine configuration and drive over the other.

Last edited:

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

FWIW, I just looked up a remanufactured 1.1 kwh battery for the Ford Escape and it was $2,449. I think that's the route people are more likely to follow. 2010-2013 Ford Escape Hybrid Battery - Best Hybrid Batteries

90% of a 68 kwh battery per day is about 61 kwh usage per day. I guess the way to look at it would be to compare the cost of that additional electricity to the cost of buying gas. (I'm ignoring the cost of installing a charger, etc., because you were just talking about KWH usage.)

Gas: The average EV gets 2.9 mi/kwh. At that rate, 61 kwh a day equals about 5,400 miles per month. At 28 mpg, that's 192 gallons of gas per month -- about $750 per month at current prices. I assume that's about what you are already paying to drive 65,000 miles a year.

EV: That 61 kwh per day is about 1855 kwh per month. KWH prices vary from state to state, ranging from 10 cents in Washington to 23 cents in California. Using 17 cents per kwh, 1885 kwh is about $316 a month. About half of what you are paying now for gas.

Those are good reasons why it would be impractical to switch everyone to EV overnight. Fortunately, that's not what is likely to happen. The transition away from fossil fuels is and will remain slow and partial. The energy grid needs updating and that seems to be in the works. Older homes are slowly being renovated. The future comes slowly.

Meanwhile, here in Arizona they are putting in one massive solar field after another and tying them into the existing grid -- so change is coming.

Actually without getting into your math you have already made a glaring error that effect most of us that live in colder environments Although some EV’s have improved the HVAC with a heat pump many still don’t have this option. Only in 2020 did the Tesla all in the Model Y and late 2020 in the model 3. HVAC without a heat pump can eat 50% of your range. This also comes into effect as the temp drops below 430F degrees making the heat pump less and less efficient . I believe as the HVAC system improves I would guess a EV will be in my future plans. In my environment the math works out about the same as the EV vs gas when you consider power usage, replacement cost of the Battery, and remote charging. I really enjoy the full torque through the speed range thus super snappy. I also like the idea of the whole house backup with the EV battery.

not that I’ve driven too many miles yet with the Mav. Currently, I’m getting 31.7 MPG (Only 3.1K per month towards work miles) It seems like it will do even better once I get some miles on it. I recently had a similar 2.0L turbo that was averaging 33 mostly highway.

AREA52

First Name
MikShea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XL
I'm wondering....

A truck should should at least have those 2 advantages :

1 - Towing capacity
2 - 4x4 or AWD

It's not the case for the hybrid version...

Only 2k towing and CVT front wheel drive.

But there I am looking to buy the Hybrid version. I have to say that I live in (North) Canada where the winters are crazy and I don't tow much.

So, am I crazy to look into the Hybrid version???

In my country, will it hold it's value???

They say that Hybrid and Electric cars are the futur! But is it a bad idea to buy an hybrid truck with no AWD and only 2k towing capacity???
No! Buy the 2.0 AWD for CA unless you work for Green Peace and need the resume

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think the F150 electric starts at 40k. I doubt the Maverick world be that much.
The F-150 Lightning (full electric) is not $40k. Most of the early reviews were saying it would start around $80k USD range. Looking at Ford's website the Hybrid F-150 starts at $60k in the King Ranch Edition, not available in lower trims.

Last edited:

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The F-150 Lightning (full electric) is not $40k. Most of the early reviews were saying it would start around $80k USD range. Looking at Ford's website the Hybrid F-150 starts at $60k in the King Ranch Edition, not available in lower trims.
Per Ford: MSRP starting at $39,974 -- so yeah, the F-150 Lightning starts at 40k

Error

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux 360 Roof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My jeep wrangler jku 2016 worth almost the same as the maverick xlt 2022.

so i might trade the wrangler for the maverick,

i know the wrangler hold its value pretty well. Jeep don't over produce and flood the market,, their factory only produce enough jeep for the demands, unlike toyota or any asian cars….

ev cars lose value like crazy, and battery will become cheaper in the future.

it is a very tough decision. Gas price will probably double by 2035… try to imagine paying 6$ per gal ($3-4/L)

we are in the middle of a change.. so it is very difficult to predict.

if you decide to sell your gas truck in 2028.. is anyone going to buy it knowing they can get a full ev pickup truck for $25-30k ? Because trust me.. even ford will comeup with an ev maverick.
your truck may become a collectible but expensive to run.

but if you're buying an ev car today,, there isn't many choices to choose from. Eveything is expensive. And battery degradation makes the ev like a disposable vehicle. replacing an 8 years old ev battery cost like $10k+
ive yet seen any 2013 Leaf owner doing that.. computer/ dash and technology being outdated on their 2013 nissan leaf, most leaf owners prefer to change their car… the get something with better range….
that's why today's ev are sort of disposable vehicle.

imagine ….you spend $50k on an ev, and 3 years later that nice ev only worth $25k …ouch. You decide to keep it but apple or any phone corp decide to change some technology.. that technology might not be compatible with old ev… you may need to buy a new ev just to use that new phone technology..

so it is a tough choice,, which one will hold its value best.. a 2022 ev or a maverick hybrid.. if you find the answer let me know!

Last edited:

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It comes down to this... Are you buying the truck for yourself, or the next owner?

Get what you need, not what somebody else does
I guess it is relevant for people who cycle through cars every 2-3yrs, but that certainly isn't me. My crystal ball says, based on current demand and lack of a true competitor (likely at least until '24), the hybrid should hold its very really well if you intend to sell in the next few years.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm wondering....

A truck should should at least have those 2 advantages :

1 - Towing capacity
2 - 4x4 or AWD

It's not the case for the hybrid version...

Only 2k towing and CVT front wheel drive.

But there I am looking to buy the Hybrid version. I have to say that I live in (North) Canada where the winters are crazy and I don't tow much.

So, am I crazy to look into the Hybrid version???

In my country, will it hold it's value???

They say that Hybrid and Electric cars are the futur! But is it a bad idea to buy an hybrid truck with no AWD and only 2k towing capacity???
I don’t think it’s a bad idea. I think with a set of good all terrain tires the hybrid will do just fine in the winter. I have had 4 wheel drive SUVs for the past 14 years and have a hybrid xlt on order.
Sponsored