Sponsored

Will Mavericks powertrain efficiency forever rule the "new" Compact hybrid truck class?

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pie in the sky, concept vehicle that would have made for comparison: Tarok, a VW. Seemed like a Subaru Brat, Hyundai Santa Cruz type of beach car. But there had been some kind of Ford/Volkswagen corporate truck alliace recently. So who knows? Would have been interesting at least.
Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 Ranger, ā€˜22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford's definitely ahead of the competition here, but there are some strong contenders - like Darnon says, Hyundai's already got the hybrid powertrains in the SUVs on the same platform as the Santa Cruz, so it's not a big leap.
Thereā€™s a hybrid Santa Fe. AWD, 1.6 l turbo, 226 hp, 6 speed shiftable, 32 mpg EPA combined. Quite a different beast.

Ford & Toyota cross-licensed their hybrid technology, so theyā€™re more similar.

I donā€™t know about complexity/reliability of a combined turbo/hybrid.

OP
OP

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
None of them...just like the Rav4 hybrid (totally stripped base model starts at $29k). They all start in the $30k range (the Kia is the cheapest, it also gets the best mileage). Pretty odd isolating the Rav4 hybrid as the only Maverick competitor, when it doesn't meet your criteria either - in fact, the kia and hyundai would be closer.

There really isn't a Maverick competitor.
True!
I picked the rav4 as a competitor because for me it comes closest, and it's excellent resale value after 100K miles. I like the Rav4 efficient All Wheel Drive system! But still it doesn't compete very well, Nothing else does.

Kelli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not so much costwise.
Agree, cost wise it would cost more I'm sure knowing Honda. It would be worth a look at any rate.

Sponsored

Kelli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking Kia could give it a good shot, but for me that Hyundai bed would need to grow!
Kia is to Hyundai as Mercury (or now Lincoln) was to Ford. In other words, they already have it. It's called Santa Cruz. :)

Ranger5.0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Lexus IS350 F Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford's definitely ahead of the competition here, but there are some strong contenders - like Darnon says, Hyundai's already got the hybrid powertrains in the SUVs on the same platform as the Santa Cruz, so it's not a big leap.

I'd love to see Toyota come out with a RAV4 Prime (plug-in hybrid, AWD, 300 hp) based small pickup. I don't imagine it would happen in the next few years though.
I've been wanting a Prime based truck ever since we got our Prime last year. That would make for one hell of a truck.

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Toyota would consider $20-25% higher price for similar product as being competitive.
The bar has been set for the competitionā€¦ I think we will see honest competition by fall 23

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been wanting a Prime based truck ever since we got our Prime last year. That would make for one hell of a truck.
Damn you actually got a Rav-4 Prime? I thought they were fake based on the availability lol.

How do you like it?

Sponsored

Ranger5.0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Lexus IS350 F Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
is, soft ride. QUOTE="clavicus, post: 351867, member: 721"]
Damn you actually got a Rav-4 Prime? I thought they were fake based on the availability lol.

How do you like it?
[/QUOTE]

Haha, we got one at the right time. It was April of last year. We have no complaints about it. The electric range is more than enough on most occasions. We had been averaging about 62mpg overall, but that dropped a bit recently after loading it down with about a 1600 pound trialer for a 400 mile trip. Power is absolutely great. Charging is simple . It's quiet, smooth, soft ride........just make this a truck version, PLEASE!!!!

We just had it ceramic coated 10 days ago.

Ford Maverick Will Mavericks powertrain efficiency forever rule the "new" Compact hybrid truck class? Screenshot_20220803-070544-423

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 Ranger, ā€˜22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Re: Toyota Quality - our 2019 RAV4 (first model year on a new platform) had to have the entire gas tank replaced, along with the fuel pump and gauge. A while later they replaced another fuel pump. The gas tank wasnā€™t a warranty fix. They called it something like a Customer Satisfaction Service. You couldnā€™t fill the tank all the way, it was always about three gallons short. I donā€™t know why they replaced the fuel pump the second time.

The Maverick is also a first model year product, so having a bad harness connection isnā€™t that bad, and the recall over the transaxle flammage is based on other similar Ford models, not necessarily the Mav.

So, one must wonder about paying the premium for Toyota ā€œquality.ā€

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like the styling of the Santa Cruz but the two deal killers there were lack of a hybrid and a substantially higher price. If they dealt with those things and also could deliver a vehicle in under 6 months I'd be buying a Santa Cruz. I'm doubtful however that will happen soon​

OP
OP

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Kia is to Hyundai as Mercury (or now Lincoln) was to Ford. In other words, they already have it. It's called Santa Cruz. :)
This is a thread on the 2.5 Hybrid Forum!
Actually the Santa Cruz does compare with a 22 Ford Model; The 1922 Model A coupe also had a conventional drive train and a Rumble Seat! (some editorial license may have been used here))
When H/K comes out with a hybrid "truck" I will give it serious consideration!

Last edited:

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hyundai's hybrids are competitive in fuel efficiency. Payload capacity of the Santa Cruz is also about equal or better although there was the whole thing about the 660 lb bed load notice that I don't know what the outcome was. And the bed is a little smaller dimensionally. Interior space: on paper they trade blows although I haven't sat in a Santa Cruz to appreciate where one beats out the other. Standard tow rating is higher.
Only a four foot bed
I'm sure GMC is 'trying' to come up with a competitor. But do they have any factories in Mexico? If the Mav weren't so cheap I don't know they'd sell as well!!
Oh according to our President GM is ā€˜leading the world in EVā€ and the produce 21 EV cars (not models) in 2021
Sponsored