Sponsored

Great fuel economy aside, I'm pretty satisfied with the hybrid powertrain.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is great advice in theory, but in many situations impractical. Most of the time when I "need" heat it is because the windshield is frozen/snow covered/foggy.

All this time spent idling and warming is the first time I have seen where an argument for a larger battery makes more sense. I am spending a lot more time above 60% charge these days. BUT that just means that I can spend more time coasting though! Still have not seen below 40MPG despite changing tires and weather. I am impressed.
Why would you say these things? I'm not following your logic here.

A) Using the blower vents on a cold engine with temperature set to a high number is like trying to heat your oven with the door open slightly. It will heat up eventually, but more slowly.

B) Has nothing to do with battery size. Heat is coming from burning gasoline, and gasoline only, unless you evoke the mythical "booster heater" that requires gasoline and electricity at the same time (can't run on battery alone) and rarely comes on because it's inefficient and special conditions must be met.
Sponsored

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Why would you say these things? I'm not following your logic here.

A) Using the blower vents on a cold engine with temperature set to a high number is like trying to heat your oven with the door open slightly. It will heat up eventually, but more slowly.

B) Has nothing to do with battery size. Heat is coming from burning gasoline, and gasoline only, unless you evoke the mythical "booster heater" that requires gasoline and electricity at the same time (can't run on battery alone) and rarely comes on because it's inefficient and special conditions must be met.
I hear you, and agree with the points you are making. We both understand how these trucks work far better than most.

What I am saying is that if I cannot see out of the windshield I have no ability to drive until the coolant temp needle moves. It is frequently the case that I have to wait until my window defrosts before I can leave. This leaves the engine to idle simply to create heat. It does charge up to ~66% or so during this time but with all the time spent running (again, to create heat) it could charge a larger battery.

I agree generally that the battery is the perfect size for its application. This is the first time since I have been monitoring charge levels that I have consistently run into a situation where I am frequently hitting the charge limits of the HVB. Simply to create heat.

I used to have a fiesta that I could make the temp needle move down simply by changing the blower speed if temps are cold enough…

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I get the best hybrid fuel economy in spring and fall. Not a huge difference in MPG though (3-4 MPG?)

The hybrid heat comes on very quickly in the dead of winter, very comfy. I have never had a heated steering wheel before and I like it.
The heated steering wheel is GREAT. Heated seats are nice too. Wish it was more on the back than the bottom (sore back) but it's wonderful too!

Saltwater Cowboys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 1500, 23 CG XTL Lux, 24 SB Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Tows my 1500 lb boat like it's not even there. Towed a much heavier 6x12 trailer full of household goods for a short distance and barely felt that. Zero hesitation when I punch the go pedal. I love this little trucklette! If the hybrid drivetrain can go 300k miles I'll be really impressed.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I hear you, and agree with the points you are making. We both understand how these trucks work far better than most.

What I am saying is that if I cannot see out of the windshield I have no ability to drive until the coolant temp needle moves. It is frequently the case that I have to wait until my window defrosts before I can leave. This leaves the engine to idle simply to create heat. It does charge up to ~66% or so during this time but with all the time spent running (again, to create heat) it could charge a larger battery.

I agree generally that the battery is the perfect size for its application. This is the first time since I have been monitoring charge levels that I have consistently run into a situation where I am frequently hitting the charge limits of the HVB. Simply to create heat.

I used to have a fiesta that I could make the temp needle move down simply by changing the blower speed if temps are cold enough…
Much clearer (for me) what you're saying now. Makes sense

I routinely drive the last mile in EV so I park with a HV battery under 40% knowing that the empty capacity will be recharged during the warmup. I like it to do two things at once. (Versus just warm up.) A habit I formed with the 2005 Escape which did not allow you to pull away in EV. A cold engine always ran from the key turn. With the Maverick it is not necessary to park with a low battery. But I still do out of 14 years of habit. Maverick will let you draw down the battery first thing, BEFORE the engine starts.

On the CA coast I have no snow, and frost, only a handful of days a year.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Tows my 1500 lb boat like it's not even there. Towed a much heavier 6x12 trailer full of household goods for a short distance and barely felt that. Zero hesitation when I punch the go pedal. I love this little trucklette! If the hybrid drivetrain can go 300k miles I'll be really impressed.
The 05 Escape Hybrids had no problem reaching 400K miles, so the Maverick shouldn't have any issue with that provided that you don't take 30 years to drive 300K. Pretty sure mine will rust away before then.

Saltwater Cowboys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The 05 Escape Hybrids had no problem reaching 400K miles, so the Maverick shouldn't have any issue with that provided that you don't take 30 years to drive 300K. Pretty sure mine will rust away before then.
Will take me less than 10 at current rates. I picked it up a month ago Saturday and have about 3500 on the clock. Lots of miles for field service work. That’s why I wanted good fuel economy and a vehicle that can haul something.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Will take me less than 10 at current rates. I picked it up a month ago Saturday and have about 3500 on the clock. Lots of miles for field service work. That’s why I wanted good fuel economy and a vehicle that can haul something.
I have a 1.3 mile commute each way daily. First 10 days I had 2500 miles on mine because of a road trip. I will only average 6,000-9,000 miles a year including our road trips.

OP
OP
Pikey87

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What are you at now for miles? What kinda MPG are you seeing?

Sponsored

Saltwater Cowboys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What are you at now for miles? What kinda MPG are you seeing?
I'm on a work/vacation trip to Wisconsin and it's almost all interstate miles going 70-80. Truck is packed full of tools, hunting gear, and 400 lbs of quick crete. Also a piece of metal blew out of a dump truck hauling scrap and damaged my bumper, which makes me very sad.

Ford Maverick Great fuel economy aside, I'm pretty satisfied with the hybrid powertrain. IMG_2600

Ford Maverick Great fuel economy aside, I'm pretty satisfied with the hybrid powertrain. IMG_2581

OP
OP
Pikey87

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll hit 11k miles tomorrow, and I still remain satisfied with my mav. Any complaints I have would need sub 23k price asterisks next to them 🤣 I'm gonna post my good and bad because why not? Merry Christmas everyone ⛄🍻

Good:
Fuel economy is fantastic, I'm always over 40mpg, and remain over 40mpg even with snow tires and remote start runtime.

The ride and handling are much better than I expected, especially considering the cost and impressive payload capacity. Also, the seats are very comfortable.

The turning circle is stellar, this thing is stupidly easy to parallel park in tight spots, and I really appreciate that maneuverability when I'm turning around at narrow trailheads/ back roads.

The bed is juuuusssst long enough to fit my large mountain bike with the tailgate up. And I absolutely love the drop in bed liner, I know lots of you prefer the spray in, but I like the plastic because it's much better for sliding heavy boxes/cases in/out.

Bad:
The infotainment system is trash, and that's being nice, and taking price into account. It glitches almost every other day. No excuse for such poor quality.

Like a lot of you, I had the deep sleep issues, and my dealers service department was a disorganized mess, but in the end they replaced the battery and reflashed some modules and it's been perfect since.

The Ford pass app is subpar at best, but it was a complete surprise to me that I could remote start my truck 🤣 figured I'd throw that nitpick in since my negatives are pretty low. I guess I'll also throw my 16 month wait in here too.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it, and I hope it lasts and remains reliable for a long time.

OP
OP
Pikey87

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You know, I've looked mine over pretty well over the 11 months I've had it, and I do get very strong future rust bucket vibes. There are gaps and salt catching areas everywhere you look. My dad used to drive those old Subaru brats, and those things all rotted away 🤣 time will tell.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You know, I've looked mine over pretty well over the 11 months I've had it, and I do get very strong future rust bucket vibes. There are gaps and salt catching areas everywhere you look. My dad used to drive those old Subaru brats, and those things all rotted away 🤣 time will tell.
But at the same time, the bottom of this truck is covered with shielding unlike any other vehicle I have owned.
Sponsored