Sponsored

Why do you want a Maverick?

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
So, I've been thinking about the idea that the bed will be steel and part of the structure. The Ridgeline and Santa Cruz, which are the only other unibody trucks in the US market both use composite beds. The Maverick will definitely have a plastic or composite bed rail of some kind based on those spy photos of the body structure. I just can't help thinking that Ford will do something with the bed other than steel.

Of course, I also predicted that the gull wing tailgate would be a "thing." I could be wrong about the composite bed too.
Seems to me a carefully engineered steel bed would more likely have a higher payload and the Santa Cruz is 660 lbs.
Sponsored

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
I either want the Maverick or the upcoming Santa Cruz because I have a passion for fly fishing, and having to put wet dirty waders and gear in the trunk of my CHR is very frustrating. Having a bed to use for this without the cost or size of a mid/full size pickup seems like a no brainer for my lifestyle personally. I am also a college baseball player so putting my dirty baseball bag and clothes in the bed would be much better than keeping it inside my car.
Agreed. There are lots and lots of dirty, smelly, squishy things that you just don't want inside of even an old car, not to mention volatile things such as gasoline.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My wife hates jerry cans in the car. Putting 100lb propane tanks are illegal in the car but I do it anyways. I have crap that needs to go to the dump that is odd-sized but not exceptionally heavy. I have a 17' boat I need to tow, under 3500 lbs. With a vented cap and rubber mat I can put wet muddy dogs in the back. You can't do that with any CUV.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Probably more limited by horsepower, the F150 Supercrew's payload is 1760-2640 depending on engine.

Seems to me a carefully engineered steel bed would more likely have a higher payload and the Santa Cruz is 660 lbs.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
back to the title of this topic- I'm not exactly sure I WANT the Maverick specifically, as I am interested in the possibility of a basic truck like vehicle that is smaller than our F-150- which is great for towing our travel trailers, horse trailer, dump & Home Depot runs and other real truck stuff. It's more of a specialty vehicle for us (I don't think we ever had passengers in back seat in 3+ years so far), but not suitable for throwing a motorcycle in and heading out for a few hours or the day. It's just TOO big for me to easily climb in and out and load the bikes up a steep ramp.

My daily driver is the Grand Cherokee and I try to keep that 1 clean and well maintained as my primary people mover and around town and long trip vehicle. It has ample space behind the rear seat for groceries, suitcases, couple bags of mulch, etc. and with rear seats down has been known to carry our dogs, multiple 2x4s, boxed furniture needing assembly, and even a mini-fridge or large TV- but there are still times I'd like to carry bags of concrete, some stepping stones, motorcycle engines, full gas cans and other dirty stuff I don't want inside messing up the upholstery and leaving smells.

That's where the use for a compact pick up would shine with open bed for dirty or oversized stuff I can toss in the bed with no worries and it's a bonus if the cabin and ride are suitable as a daily driver and around town vehicle with good mileage too. I'm hopeful the Maverick could be that vehicle, but won't really know until I can review actual specs and capabilities and get my hands on 1 for a test drive. I know which options I DON'T want already, so just have to patiently wait this out until Maverick, new Ranger & Frontier hit dealers.

*EDIT* OK, after reviewing specs, options, pricing I DO WANT the Maverick :cool:(y) Checked all my boxes, except for bed length and I'll just have to find a work around like cycle trailer if I can't wedge it in the bed at an angle.

Last edited:

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As the 5 door hatchback and station wagon markets die in the US, this fills a need better than an SUV for me. It needs to haul dogs, camping gear and Kayaks, an occasional load from the hardware store, and get good enough mileage that it is reasonable to commute in 60 miles a day. Not many affordable suvs out there boast anywhere near this trucks capability and as my Sportwagen goes the way of the dodo…I was on Escape and then this dropped. Pretty excited to read more about it.

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've gone from Cybertruck to F-150 Lightning.... and now am at the Maverick. My current vehicle is a van, and served its purpose when my kids were young. It's now on its last legs and I need a replacement, preferably a BEV truck. I was settling in on the Lightning for next year, but its just too expensive and its just 1st gen of the BEV truck market, so I changed my mind when I looked at the Maverick. It is super fuel efficient and will be a good general small hauler for my purposes for now. In a few years I'll trade it in for a BEV... which will have more choices better range and lower prices.

superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
I've gone from Cybertruck to F-150 Lightning.... and now am at the Maverick. My current vehicle is a van, and served its purpose when my kids were young. It's now on its last legs and I need a replacement, preferably a BEV truck. I was settling in on the Lightning for next year, but its just too expensive and its just 1st gen of the BEV truck market, so I changed my mind when I looked at the Maverick. It is super fuel efficient and will be a good general small hauler for my purposes for now. In a few years I'll trade it in for a BEV... which will have more choices better range and lower prices.
Are you me? This (with the exception of the cyber tuck) sounds exactly like the thought process I’ve gone through over the last few months.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you me? This (with the exception of the cyber tuck) sounds exactly like the thought process I’ve gone through over the last few months.
Same-ish. Bronco (base, 2-door ordered) > F-150 Lightning (base) > Maverick (Lariat w/lux). Will probably hold out on the Lightning as well. Don’t really need that much truck anyway. It’s too dang big.

Sponsored

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lol! I sure do love the Lightning... but its huge! and expensive. It won't fit in my garage... and I don't really need that big of a truck yet.

superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Lol! I sure do love the Lightning... but its huge! and expensive. It won't fit in my garage... and I don't really need that big of a truck yet.
All true. I also wonder if you’re better waiting for 2 years on the lightning while they figure out how to get better range and charging speeds on it. A lightning that I would want will literally be almost twice the price of a Maverick equipped how I want. I could buy a Maverick and throw it away in three years and buy a second one and still be even money compared to a lightning...

Syrinx Priest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500,Jeep Cherokee, Audi A4
WHAT? That's all it takes to get X-plan pricing? So I did a quick search and it looks like the only requirement is you must wait 90 days. Actual Mustang ownership isn't required. Spend $35 to save thousands? Almost too good to be true!
"thousands" Really? Please elaborate. Like you said "to good to be true"... Dont think im questioning you its the system i dont trust. In my experience when people say thousands it turns out to be 500.... not bad but not 1000s

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For our needs this may fit the bill. My history with pickups starts early age 14 with a ‘31 Model A Ford pickup. The box was 4 ‘ or so, kinda reminds me of the Maverick pictures I’ve seen. Numerous 48 to 55 Chevrolet and GMC trucks all good rigs as it was tough to kill them just look at how many survived. First new rig 1981 Toyota short bed with 5 speed, 22R eng. could not be happier except the cab since I am 6’2. It’s still on the road in my area! Numerous Ford and Chevrolet work trucks and all ran and ran.
One of my company Chevrolets was still on the road @ 755k when I left the company.

The Maverick at this juncture in our retired lives may be the choice. Fully aware of what it is offering and not expecting it to do the job I expected from the other rigs in my life. Sized for a garage, crew cab, decent comfort hopefully, and a fair choice of levels as to what you want to build for your needs. I hope it matches all of our expectations......
Ford should be proud of the recent additions to their line up. Now if we can get the chips in order to crank out the Broncos and Mavericks ✔

A last thought. The bed height is what is needed for most folks that don’t need a 4x4 .... so many of the new rigs have a bed lift height that is not realistic for loading many grab and go items. 😅

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All true. I also wonder if you’re better waiting for 2 years on the lightning while they figure out how to get better range and charging speeds on it. A lightning that I would want will literally be almost twice the price of a Maverick equipped how I want. I could buy a Maverick and throw it away in three years and buy a second one and still be even money compared to a lightning...
if this thing takes off like I suspect it will, it should bring really good used market and trade in values. No need to throw it away.
Sponsored