Why do you want a Maverick?

Dan_E26

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus
I just want a bed, without all the other truck things that come with the bed. I don't need BOF construction, I don't need 7K+ towing capacity, I don't really need 4x4, I don't want some behemoth for when I'm parking in tight spots. BUT, I move big, bulky stuff around pretty often, namely an 8x10 bass speaker cab and my 12 foot kayak. A bed would make schlepping my things a whole lot easier

BigB

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul
My first truck was an S10, and I currently have an S10 and blazer. I just love the size of it. I'm ready to have a modern mini truck, and the time is nearly here for an upgrade.
My first first truck was an S10 too, 84 extended cab. It was my first ride and I wish I still had it.

Reactions: Doc

BigB

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul
I miss having a small truck and grew up during the minitruckin’ craze. I would like to have a small truck to haul stuff from Home Depot, get good mpgs, and easy to get in and out of, not everyone wants a tall truck.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
So, I went from a 3 row crossover (Ford Freestyle) to a small 4 door sedan (Chevy Volt). I've hauled sacks of concrete and 8 foot fence posts with the Volt. I love the Volt. But If I have one complaint, it is just a little too small. I like the idea of the versatility of a small truck. As others have said, mid size trucks are too big. I'd love something like an old single cab Datsun/Nissan 720 pickup with 2 wheel drive. Right now it looks like the Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz are going to be the vehicles to fill that slot. In an ideal world I'd be able to buy something like the Alfa Wolf: https://www.alphamotorinc.com/wolf
But realistically that is not going.to make it to market and if it did, it would be far more expensive than a Maverick or Santa Cruz.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Speaking of bedlining, it would be nice if the Maverick had a lined bed like my Sport Trac does, but I've not seen anything about that. I also like the non-carpeted rubber floor in the Trac.
I would bet the Maverick will have a composite bed like the Ridgeline and Santa Cruz. I suspect we will see more trucks do that.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Hmm ... those spy shots sure do show a metal bed on the bare white metal body. I find that curious. Ford has been using aluminum beds on the F150 for a while now. If they did that on the Maverick it would still mean having to put in a separate piece or pieces for the bed. I would think a composite bed would be both cheaper and lighter. I guess I'll have to add bed liner to my list of things I want. I think I'd probably want to go spray in as opposed to drop in since it looks like the bed will have plastic side rails.

oljackfrost

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Hmm ... those spy shots sure do show a metal bed on the bare white metal body. I find that curious. Ford has been using aluminum beds on the F150 for a while now. If they did that on the Maverick it would still mean having to put in a separate piece or pieces for the bed. I would think a composite bed would be both cheaper and lighter. I guess I'll have to add bed liner to my list of things I want. I think I'd probably want to go spray in as opposed to drop in since it looks like the bed will have plastic side rails.
Because the Maverick is a unit body, the steel bed floor is part of the structure and strength of the vehicle. Maverick is intended to be lower priced, something which composite and aluminum are not. Maybe Ford will have an optional factory spray in bedliner like the larger trucks.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Composite would certainly be lighter, but it wouldn't be cheaper than steel. Not many structural materials are cheaper than steel. It's just so abundant and mass produced. Plus it's easy to work with.

STDriver03

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Sport Trac
I would bet the Maverick will have a composite bed like the Ridgeline and Santa Cruz. I suspect we will see more trucks do that.
My '03 Ford Explorer Sport Trac has a composite bed and it's been just fine. Nice not to have to go to the extra expense of a bed liner and no rust is a plus!

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Composite would certainly be lighter, but it wouldn't be cheaper than steel. Not many structural materials are cheaper than steel. It's just so abundant and mass produced. Plus it's easy to work with.
So, I've been thinking about the idea that the bed will be steel and part of the structure. The Ridgeline and Santa Cruz, which are the only other unibody trucks in the US market both use composite beds. The Maverick will definitely have a plastic or composite bed rail of some kind based on those spy photos of the body structure. I just can't help thinking that Ford will do something with the bed other than steel.

Of course, I also predicted that the gull wing tailgate would be a "thing." I could be wrong about the composite bed too.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
No composite beds for me...:)