Why do you want a Maverick?

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
So, I went from a 3 row crossover (Ford Freestyle) to a small 4 door sedan (Chevy Volt). I've hauled sacks of concrete and 8 foot fence posts with the Volt. I love the Volt. But If I have one complaint, it is just a little too small. I like the idea of the versatility of a small truck. As others have said, mid size trucks are too big. I'd love something like an old single cab Datsun/Nissan 720 pickup with 2 wheel drive. Right now it looks like the Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz are going to be the vehicles to fill that slot. In an ideal world I'd be able to buy something like the Alfa Wolf: https://www.alphamotorinc.com/wolf
But realistically that is not going.to make it to market and if it did, it would be far more expensive than a Maverick or Santa Cruz.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Speaking of bedlining, it would be nice if the Maverick had a lined bed like my Sport Trac does, but I've not seen anything about that. I also like the non-carpeted rubber floor in the Trac.
I would bet the Maverick will have a composite bed like the Ridgeline and Santa Cruz. I suspect we will see more trucks do that.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Hmm ... those spy shots sure do show a metal bed on the bare white metal body. I find that curious. Ford has been using aluminum beds on the F150 for a while now. If they did that on the Maverick it would still mean having to put in a separate piece or pieces for the bed. I would think a composite bed would be both cheaper and lighter. I guess I'll have to add bed liner to my list of things I want. I think I'd probably want to go spray in as opposed to drop in since it looks like the bed will have plastic side rails.

OP
OP
oljackfrost

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmm ... those spy shots sure do show a metal bed on the bare white metal body. I find that curious. Ford has been using aluminum beds on the F150 for a while now. If they did that on the Maverick it would still mean having to put in a separate piece or pieces for the bed. I would think a composite bed would be both cheaper and lighter. I guess I'll have to add bed liner to my list of things I want. I think I'd probably want to go spray in as opposed to drop in since it looks like the bed will have plastic side rails.
Because the Maverick is a unit body, the steel bed floor is part of the structure and strength of the vehicle. Maverick is intended to be lower priced, something which composite and aluminum are not. Maybe Ford will have an optional factory spray in bedliner like the larger trucks.

Sponsored

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would bet the Maverick will have a composite bed like the Ridgeline and Santa Cruz. I suspect we will see more trucks do that.
My '03 Ford Explorer Sport Trac has a composite bed and it's been just fine. Nice not to have to go to the extra expense of a bed liner and no rust is a plus!

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m looking for a crew cab truck that costs under $26k. I want a Ford. I’ve looked endlessly and the only trucks available in my range have 60k+ miles on them. So the Maverick is my only hope.
Ditto.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Composite would certainly be lighter, but it wouldn't be cheaper than steel. Not many structural materials are cheaper than steel. It's just so abundant and mass produced. Plus it's easy to work with.
So, I've been thinking about the idea that the bed will be steel and part of the structure. The Ridgeline and Santa Cruz, which are the only other unibody trucks in the US market both use composite beds. The Maverick will definitely have a plastic or composite bed rail of some kind based on those spy photos of the body structure. I just can't help thinking that Ford will do something with the bed other than steel.

Of course, I also predicted that the gull wing tailgate would be a "thing." I could be wrong about the composite bed too.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
No composite beds for me...:)

Sponsored
OP
OP
oljackfrost

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I've been thinking about the idea that the bed will be steel and part of the structure. The Ridgeline and Santa Cruz, which are the only other unibody trucks in the US market both use composite beds. The Maverick will definitely have a plastic or composite bed rail of some kind based on those spy photos of the body structure. I just can't help thinking that Ford will do something with the bed other than steel.

Of course, I also predicted that the gull wing tailgate would be a "thing." I could be wrong about the composite bed too.
Both the Ridgeline and Santa Cruze have the underfloor storage so the composite is a cover. They have steel underneath for structural strength. I think their beds may be shallower to make room for the underfloor storage.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
But don't we want some weight over the rear wheels? Especially the fwd version

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Today's steel isn't the steel of 1990. It's stronger and more rust resistant, while still being repairable.

DomN7

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota CHR
I either want the Maverick or the upcoming Santa Cruz because I have a passion for fly fishing, and having to put wet dirty waders and gear in the trunk of my CHR is very frustrating. Having a bed to use for this without the cost or size of a mid/full size pickup seems like a no brainer for my lifestyle personally. I am also a college baseball player so putting my dirty baseball bag and clothes in the bed would be much better than keeping it inside my car.
Sponsored