First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really what I want is a reasonably efficient small van that has gotten the "Outback" treatment to improve its performance on rocky or sandy dirt roads. Since no one seems to be building one, the Maverick seems like it might be the best compromise. I don't necessarily NEED a truck bed, but most mid-sized and smaller SUVs have relatively small rear cargo areas that are compromised by excessive sculpting or having a third row of seats that is difficult remove. If the Maverick offers efficient space and two comfortable rows along with reasonable efficiency, that is a likely fit for me.

With the truck form, I will enjoy being able to toss my mountain bike over the tailgate for day to day stuff rather than having to put on a rack.
Spotted something I see and wonder about. Why would you want to put your bike "over the tailgate" rather than "in the bed?" I see trucks with padded tailgate covers and people carrying their bikes this way. I'm not sure I get it. Explain for a non-bicycle-carrying guy.
Sponsored

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Spotted something I see and wonder about. Why would you want to put your bike "over the tailgate" rather than "in the bed?" I see trucks with padded tailgate covers and people carrying their bikes this way. I'm not sure I get it. Explain for a non-bicycle-carrying guy.
Two reasons: First, modern bikes are pretty long, especially if you're on a larger size. A lot of bikes won't easily fit lengthwise in a short bed truck. Now you can probably wedge a lot I'm by turning wheels and going diagonal, but it's more of a pain, particularly with multiple bikes. Second, hanging them over the tailgate essentially keeps them in place. They're kind of wedged and unlikely to bounce around. If you put them straight in the bed, they can slide and bounce around a lot more unless you put some sort of rack in there, and then attaching them is probably more trouble than just tossing them over the tailgate.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
I've seen people do it...looks cool. But my carbon fiber frame down tube was not designed for that type of load, so I don't chance it.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why do I want a Maverick? My main reason is I have a recumbent TerraTrike Tour that id love to throw into a truck bed instead of needing to toss it on the roof of my sedan. Combine that with some bedlining in the back and using it as a beater for work and Im good. Should be enough room in the back seat to rip out the seats and build a storage box for my tools also. I dont need it for big payloads or tow ratings (and it wont have either of those anyways). Just need it to fit the occasional supply run and all my toys.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Speaking of bedlining, it would be nice if the Maverick had a lined bed like my Sport Trac does, but I've not seen anything about that. I also like the non-carpeted rubber floor in the Trac.

Sponsored

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I'm just transporting my bike alone, which is most of the time, I end up just taking the front tire off and laying it diagonally in the 5' bed of my 2019 Ranger. Even my big chunky fatbike fits this way. It fits snug so it doesn't move around at all. Helps keep it completely out of the elements. Especially in the winter with all the salt and sand on the roads.

I'm also not as worried about getting some scratches and dings on my bikes, so having them lay down in the bed, with all my other junk I usually carry around, isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to others. Heck I get plenty of scratches and dings from just riding the trails, both on my bike and on my body. haha
Even though it only takes a minute, I still prefer to avoid taking my front wheel off. If it's just one bike I think just tossing in the bed makes sense. I think hanging bikes over the tailgate makes more sense when you need to fit multiple bikes.

I live in a town with a trail system people shuttle all the time. With any sort of padding, I can't imagine carrying a bike that way hurting a downtube and I've never heard of it. That being said, I don't carry my bike that way myself. I just toss it in my van if I'm alone or put it on a tray rack if I'm carrying multiple bikes. Even if I got a truck, I'd keep a hitch rack for road tripping as I'd need the bed space for other things.

Reactions: Doc

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why do i want one? TBH, ive always had used cars, im 35 now, have what i think is my career set and am getting more financially comfortable. I'm getting married next year, so while i dont think I'll be first in line for a first year Mav, it looks like it would be a great replacement to my almost 20 year old Explorer. The Explorer is my winter car, so i need AWD or 4x4, and four doors as there's already three of us in my little family. The substantial increase in MPGs would be nice, i don't need much in the way of towing or cargo weight abilities, but im sure it would be more than enough space when we go out of town for a week here n there on vacation. Plus, as a Ford guy, from a long line of Ford guys, it's Ford's only option starting around 20k. Well, besides the Ecosport, and let's be honest, that's a total girl car lmfao.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
work trucks for residential streets. I can put small trailers behind these and not block driveways

Reactions: Doc

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Interested in Maverick’s more compact dimensions. I prefer a decent I4T and 8+AT w/ AWD configuration for a fairly responsive powertrain and one that likely will see north of 21MPG for my short drive cycles. I’m not a base model guy, so likely one that is well equipped, even if it straddles the midsize segment pricing. I like the AWD will be offered with multi-link (non-torsion beam) type rear end. I also lean sedans, but became accustomed to the idea of an open bed during my time with my Tacoma. I like the handling of a sedan, rather than a dump truck like a typical truck. I think the Maverick will bridge the gap, within reason, between horrible and preferred on-road dynamics when I want to get a little spirited. I’ll also have my Honda and manual trans for anything else further in that category. The Tacoma (and same can be said for any same or larger truck) sucks the life out of me driving it. So boring. I’m also hoping, and betting the Maverick has slightly more legroom in the rear seat area. My Honda Civic has more room than my Tacoma. Put a friends child seat in the back of that recently and holy crap it was tight fitting. We don’t have children, but you never know and like to have at least what my Honda offers.

My 2019 Tacoma is a hot mess. Let someone else deal with its problems. You’d think for a product they barely update would be bullet proof, nope. At that rate, may as well go with something that has newer technology. After 2.5 years with it, issues that I didn’t think would be a problem, are the largest problems I have found. It’s stock, real world fuel economy is downright embarrassing. The only thing I like about right now it is the color I chose; Cavalry Blue. If Maverick is offered in Area 51, basically the same color, it will definitely be top three of my colors.

Ctred31907

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas Fit @ Civic Hatchback
Midsize trucks are too damn big.
I agree! I stand to the side of the engine compartment and tried to reach in to change a spark plug, and it’s not reachable. I thought the midsized trucks would be small enough compared to the full-size, but they’re just as bad. I’m looking forward to the Maverick!

Sponsored

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
I just want a bed, without all the other truck things that come with the bed. I don't need BOF construction, I don't need 7K+ towing capacity, I don't really need 4x4, I don't want some behemoth for when I'm parking in tight spots. BUT, I move big, bulky stuff around pretty often, namely an 8x10 bass speaker cab and my 12 foot kayak. A bed would make schlepping my things a whole lot easier

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My first truck was an S10, and I currently have an S10 and blazer. I just love the size of it. I'm ready to have a modern mini truck, and the time is nearly here for an upgrade.
My first first truck was an S10 too, 84 extended cab. It was my first ride and I wish I still had it.

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I miss having a small truck and grew up during the minitruckin’ craze. I would like to have a small truck to haul stuff from Home Depot, get good mpgs, and easy to get in and out of, not everyone wants a tall truck.