First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Donā€™t feel bad. My Bronco has power mirrors I never use and it doesnā€™t have rear drink holders. Figure that one out. Itā€™s an off road vehicle with a removable top. Rear passengers might want a drink.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Previous car salesperson chiming in.....you should know more than your salesperson about the car your buying. Ford has 20 plus models each with 3-4 trim levels. To memorize all the options and trim is unrealistic, by the time you do the next model year has changes. Loved it when a customer had all the info about the car, all I had to do was negotiate price.
I think this is kinda lame. The sales people should know or at least be able to look up the answer to questions..

Montauk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL, 2023 F-150 Rattler pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The dealership didn't have a 2023 price sheet and option numbers sheet, so I showed him the one I had downloaded from the MTC. They had also never heard of MTC.
Their job is to sell cars and add-ons, NOT to know anything about their product.
This speaks to the skills and ability of the salesperson. I fully expect a person who only works as a salesperson in a car dealership to learn and know details about everything they sell. The information and tools are all there and even more easily obtained than for us.

In most dealerships the salesperson doesnā€™t even talk turkey about price. They punt that to another person.

Itā€™s laughable to suggest a car salespersons only function is to weave their sales-spell on a potential buyer and leave the knowledge of accurate information about the cars to others or the buyer.

If thatā€™s the model then we really only need a website to buy a car now. If dealerships seek to remain relevant they must provide convenient information and services not otherwise available.

Sponsored

Montauk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL, 2023 F-150 Rattler pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got 2024 XL. Nice young guy salesman. No complaints. I asked specifically about electric control of exterior mirrors. If that was not an option on XL thatā€™s a no go and I'd have been moving to XLT. He called me back to assure me it was a non issue. Now that I have the car home, I spent a while with the owners manual and then called him. ā€œPlease send photo, thatā€™s weirdā€ said heā€™d investigate. That was an hour ago. Guessing he doesnā€™t want to call backšŸ˜‚ Dude: just take a moment before saying yes. Sheesh. Not a show stopper but cā€™mon
stinks you got a sales guy that didnā€™t know the details.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I fully expect a person who only works as a salesperson in a car dealership to learn and know details about everything they sell. The information and tools are all there and even more easily obtained than for us.
it's fine to expect that, and I even agree, but ultimately the responsibility for getting the right options and the right truck has to fall on the buyer.

RobertD

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Maverick XLT FX4 - 4K - 360; 23 F150 KR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with the OP that a salesperson should either know the answer or look it up if they don't or just say I don't know. It is frustrating to get uninformed answers that have a 50-50 chance of being right.

I learned about 45 years ago that car salesperson in general knows very little about what they are selling. I tend to over research a car before buying and will now ask questions to just see what they will say. I can figure out quickly if they know what they are talking about or not. It is nice when you find a rare salesperson that actually knows about the car they are selling.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The majority of people on this site probably used the "Build & Price" site to configure their Maverick. My "salesman" was right out of high school and worked on commission only....knew nothing about the Maverick...I taught him most of what he knew. Many of the first Maverick owners had never seen one in the flesh. I had not. In his or her defense the different packages for lots of new vehicles are very confusing. I did not want a full size spare tire but at the time if you ordered a sunroof you got a full spare tire...what one has to do with the other is beyond me. Even the "Build & Price" site can be tricky.

CoPilot 360 and CarPlay are my favorite features of the Maverick...not including electric mirrors is sort of being cheap on Ford's part.

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think I missed important content of the story. Did you order this vehicle or was is sitting on the lot? In either case, before I sign my name on a 2,3,4,5,6 year commitment of making payments on something I actually look it over, and make sure its what I expected, and it has ALL the features I want before I drive it off the lot. Salesman or not, unless you did Carvana and never saw it in person before that truck dropped it off...you cant blame the salesperson can you? Even if the salesperson said hey, we got a XL someone backed out of...do you want it? You still made it all the way home without adjusting the mirrors so you can drive safely home? I'm not defending the sales guy because I was one, but you have to do your part before you get it home. We would make every customer drive the vehicle that they were buying before they signed on the dotted line for reasons similar to this.

IDK, I'm probably just missing something, but congrats on your Maverick.

Sponsored

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got 2024 XL. Nice young guy salesman. No complaints. I asked specifically about electric control of exterior mirrors. If that was not an option on XL thatā€™s a no go and I'd have been moving to XLT. He called me back to assure me it was a non issue. Now that I have the car home, I spent a while with the owners manual and then called him. ā€œPlease send photo, thatā€™s weirdā€ said heā€™d investigate. That was an hour ago. Guessing he doesnā€™t want to call backšŸ˜‚ Dude: just take a moment before saying yes. Sheesh. Not a show stopper but cā€™mon
after 2 trips to the dealer for my oil change - each time they were going to put synth blend in it - I told them hey it's spec'd for full syn and they acted surprised and doubted me. I'd live without the power mirrors unless you have multiple drivers, the diff in price of xl vs xlt is sort of a lot.....

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm actually more impressed they called you back at all to begin with.

I think I missed important content of the story. Did you order this vehicle or was is sitting on the lot? In either case, before I sign my name on a 2,3,4,5,6 year commitment of making payments on something I actually look it over, and make sure its what I expected, and it has ALL the features I want before I drive it off the lot. Salesman or not, unless you did Carvana and never saw it in person before that truck dropped it off...you cant blame the salesperson can you? Even if the salesperson said hey, we got a XL someone backed out of...do you want it? You still made it all the way home without adjusting the mirrors so you can drive safely home? I'm not defending the sales guy because I was one, but you have to do your part before you get it home. We would make every customer drive the vehicle that they were buying before they signed on the dotted line for reasons similar to this.

IDK, I'm probably just missing something, but congrats on your Maverick.
It is truly amazing how little research people do when ordering a vehicle. I'm not trying to shame OP here, but a little research goes a long way. Same for the crowd that buys the BAP and complains the interior still has blue in it... They saw rendered pics, cry about FORD being dishonest, and none of it changes the fact that all you had to do was look for real interior pictures.

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sure, I agree but when the car is sitting directly outside the showroom door - like 20 feet away - and it's something that somebody else ordered and is now suddenly available (point being, I did not order and needed a better understanding of what it had/did not have) , how tough is it to open the door and look? Good info for future sales, I get my one question answered and everyone is happy. Didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest but almost anything will do that, these days.
I missed this post, didn't realize you did not order originally. My previous replies still stand. Before you signed your name on the dotted line you should have sat in, got accustomed to, and driven the vehicle you were about to buy. The first question my sales manager would ask before we even talked about price was "did your customer drive the vehicle?" Price was then negotiated. Then the first question that was asked from the finance department was, "did you drive the vehicle your about to commit to financing for the next xxxx years?" This process of questions was to eliminate the current situation that you are in.

Enjoy your Maverick, looks like you got a Hybrid XL? Those are pretty rare.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You just learned what I learned a long time ago.
  • Don't ask salesman any technical questions.
  • Don't believe anything a salesmen tells you without confirming with a second source.
    • Manuals and brochures are available on line.
"Experience is what you get when you get what you didn't want"

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"Trust but verify" - some out there will recall those words. I apply those words often.

Why did he say "yes"? Salesperson 101 is give the people what they want. Since you asked about electric controlled mirrors, he knew you wanted them. He wants to sell the truck you are excited about now. Lesson learned is next time, say "show me". Plus, with all the different models he really can't recall which features and options are on which vehicle. If he even ever knew.

Meanwhile, try to put that experience in the rear view mirror and enjoy your truck.
Sponsored