Sponsored

Which do you think will have less problems/ better longevity the hybrid or eco boost?

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly I think it will be a toss up. Hybrid engine will be stressed less, but the hybrid also has an additional system that adds a number of subsystems (eCVT, battery, switches, cooling system etc).

The other thing to think about is what are the cost of repairs? Once out of warranty, even if the Hybrid has fewer issues, one electric AC unit is typically $2500-3k to replace, vs $1000 on a standard ICE vehicle. Replacing the HVB is going to be on the same cost level as replacing an engine or transmission. A lot of those high millage Hybrid taxies you read about in NY have had their HVB replaced at least once.

The other thing in the back of my mind is I wonder how this will effect the used market, am I going to get significantly less when I go to trade in an 8 year old Hybrid Maverick vs an Ecoboost Maverick?

Having said all of that... I ordered a Hybrid Maverick! We will see if the gamble pays off.
I'm betting that an 8 year old Hybrid will have better used market value than an Ecoboost. I base this idea on that fact that more hybrid/electric vehicles are going to be built in those 8 years and the ICE is be slowly (very slowly if certain oil producing counties have their way) are being phased out. With the F150 Lightning and in the next few years the electrified Range coming out, towing capacity at all levels with be covered. Additionally, battery tech is getting better all the time so I think Hybrid is the way to go. This is just one man's opinion, nothing more.

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
I come to the uneducated conclusion that the hybrid might come out on top
You may be smarter than you realize. :)
The turbo is one thing, which will require full synthetic oil and top tier gas, but an even riskier proposition is it's 'direct fuel injection'

Understanding of course without it you don't tow 4000 lbs. while still being able to get decent gas mileage, for a truck anyway. But it's a lot of pressure and the tolerances have to be spot on. That engine has bee around, they revamped it in 2015.

The 2.5 hybrid is the new kid on the block, that's mating proven reliability with electric, what's not to like right. The new gimmick is to add turbos and direct injection to get torque and better gas mileage.

The dirty secret perhaps is they can't survive the pressures. And the odds are before you even get it paid off they'll be in your pockets and for thousands. If you can always avoid turbos and direct injection at all cost. The Japanese, mainly Honda figured that one out long ago.

They may be dogs but how many times have you heard someone brag about a Chevy or even a Ford going 200,000 plus miles. A Honda doesn't get broke in till then.

Last turbo I had craped out at 27,000 miles and they wanted $2k + and labor to replace it.
(will never buy German anything again)

OP
OP
Harleystreetbob

Harleystreetbob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
harley electra glide maverick hybrid xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ironically own a 09 honda ridgeline right now with not a thing wrong with it 300,000 on the odometer. I agree however, have known the troubles associated with turbos (owned one)

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both will be as reliable as one can expect from Ford though I too believe the hybrid will do better after the +100k mile marker. That said I think we should each choose our Maverick model based on our expectations and / or our needs.

I drive a turbo ('11 Volvo C30 5 cyl turbo - manual with 115k miles) and my wife drives a hybrid ('16 Lexus NX 300h 2.5 hybrid - eCVT with 54k miles). They've both been just fine from a reliability standpoint. The Volvo is a blast to drive where the Lexus just gets us where we're going without much expression; two completely different experiences.

All said I chose the Hybrid based on my needs.

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This!!!!
Not opposed to Hybrid but…I wanted AWD, not open for debate. I like to have respectable power not an option. When the hybrid comes out in AWD with some power for spirited adventures I will be very interesTed. It’s what I want, you get what works for you. I currently have an 07 Mountaineer so the ECO MPG will be a huge upgrade in every area. Enjoy what you get, I will

D&Dmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI & Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Carbon build up on a direct injection is a fact of life. In 100k kilometres (60k miles) you have to walnut blast the intake, it is just part of regular maintenance. I have dealt with this on other direct injection engines. Not a big deal for me. Oil catch can will also help with carbon built up.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I'm getting an ext. warranty on both... For an 8 year warranty, the cost is like $900 for me that's a lot of peace of mind for me...
Of course, in 8 years I'd be lucky to drive 60,000 miles.. So I should be covered until I trade them in..

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put my money on the Hybrid. Simple, elegant design. Less moving parts. The ECVT is one robust planetary gearset. The ecoboost has turbo and a transmission which is a marvel of complexity. The Atkinson cycle engine is never stressed too hard. When it comes to resale, I think the fuel economy will be the selling point.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wanted the 4k so easy answer, I also like turbos so even easier.

Sponsored

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I expect the hybrid will give less trouble over the life of the vehicle. But. The repair costs for those times when it fails will likely be 'up there'.
I went with the ecoboost because I wanted to. My personal take is that it is possible to abuse a boosted engine and have poor longevity. I don't plan on doing that.

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
I see electric power (which IS coming) as still in an interim stage. I buy new every 5 years. If I make it through another 5-year cycle and I still have a license (I am elderly, with failing vision), I think the electric infrastructure will be far more developed, and hybrid/electrics will be far more common, with more purchase options. I see this Maverick as possibly my last vehicle - or possibly my last fully ICE vehicle. I have mostly owned trucks for work purposes. I have never owned a luxury vehicle. My spouse is a BMW snob - so I do get a taste. Since - for whatever reason - this could possibly be my LAST vehicle, I just pulled out all the stops. Two-liter turbo AWD, with all the luxury packages my wife would want (and will be more likely to make her want to ride in my "work truck"). I am immensely annoyed by GDI technology, and frankly, the main reason I’m into the Maverick is because my originally-intended mid-size purchase was thwarted this time around by the tragic array of overpriced and aging offerings. Otherwise I would NOT be buying ANY GDI vehicle, as they are obviously the industry’s last-gasp attempt to meet tighter pollution standards before they are forced to go all-electric. Hawking performance increases is just the industry’s way of distracting us from the fact that, in terms of maintenance/reliability/longevity, GDI is really a stupid idea. Frankly, this is also partly an old guy’s idea of possibly one last thrill (I had to give up airplanes a couple years ago). I think a hot little MAV is going to be a hoot - if the GDI fiasco doesn’t get me first. In case you haven’t yet figured it out - you need to get some fun out of life - which is VERY short. In other words, life is about more than practicality. GO FOR IT

Bushmaster2000

First Name
Jones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
ooph. I dunno. In general I believer electric engines have the potential to outlast ICE engines by quite a bit. Though you would need to replace the battery packs for sure as batteries degrade over time.
But hybrid vehicles have quite a bit of complexity having two engines run the vehicle instead of one and you still have the ICE engine in there though theoretically it wouldn't be used as much.

For me i went with the Ecoboost because there was no AWD / 4x4 option on the hybrid model. I would have bought the hybrid though had it been offered with awd/4x4.

Brsbill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 sta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had the prevalige riding in my neices 20210 escape hybrid. She hammers it to stay up with traffic.

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The Maverick Hybrid has these benefits over the gas EcoBoost engine

Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Transmission with CVT Belts
Ford Maverick Hybrid No Starter
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Alternator
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Accessory Belts
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Conventional AC, AC is electric and driven by the High Voltage Battery
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Turbochargers
It would seem this doesnt show any down side to the Hybrid. Maybe I can help.

Ford Maverick Hybrid - Clutch Disc instead of Torque Converter like the ones one the Ford Focus that kept failing.
Ford Maverick Hybrid - (1) $4,000 Battery Assy. That will only be replaced if it de-rates far enough to need warranty replacement.
Ford Maverick Hybrid - (1) $2,000 A/C Compressor system, but its driven by the $4,000 battery. In comparison the A/C compressor on the belt system $500

Ford Maverick Eco - No Transmission with CVT Belts? Im not sure where this was going. But its a true 8 speed so it doesnt have that either.

So that leaves the Starter, Alternator, Belts, and Turbo.

Ill take the $1,500 itll cost me to fix all of those at once compared to one A/C.
Turbo $875. Belts $35. Alternator $375. Starter $210
Sponsored

Attachments