Sponsored

What do you like LEAST about the Maverick?

Deleted member 1031

I see so many comments on the orange accents. Why are people afraid of a little color? Am I the only one that’s tired of gray, black and beige?
I don't think it has anything to do with being afraid of a little color. It's the particular color in question that may be a bit much.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1031

People like to complain a lot. It's really easy to sit back and nitpick other people's work, so I don't blame 'em. Especially because the people that are going to trade their hard-earned money for the Maverick don't care about the folks that wrote the thousands of pages of manuals, diagrams, and procedures for this vehicle or the thousands of hours of testing and certification to get the vehicle road-worthy; they want a finished end product with minimal problems that meets their wants and desires.

But just take a look here...this thread is 19 pages long. No other thread in the first five pages of recent posts comes close; not even the ordering thread.
I'm going to have to disagree with you. A car is one of the biggest purchases a consumer will make. Like any product on the market, consumers have every right to evaluate that product and critique it. After all, it's their hard money they're spending, and a smart consumer does their due diligence, especially with a purchase of this magnitude. If they find flaws with that product, it doesn't mean they like to complain.

Deleted member 1157

The only other pickup that has a roof rack as an option is the Tacoma. The Frontier had one, but I believe it was canned when the 3.8L engine debuted. They aren't popular items on pickup trucks for pretty obvious reasons (having a bed being one).

What do you plan on hauling, and how often? I think the "flex-bed" utility makes up for the lack of length, especially the flat-top wheel wells. Obviously if you're hauling 12' sheetrock or a 14' kayak every day, you probably want a different vehicle.

I highly doubt it. At that point, it would make more sense to just make power mirrors standard.

You could get the seats reupholstered in whatever cloth you desire for not much more than that.

There's similar commentary for leather seats on XLT F-150s. It's a popular-enough demand that dealers will upfit XLT 302As with Katzkin leather.
That's a great idea! I'm going to change my order from the XLT to the Lariat. Now I will be able to get push button start and the other extras. My brother knows this guy who reupholsters Mercedes custom Sprinter vans and does good work. Thanks for the suggestion...

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Grumbles:
The Co-pilot 360 features on the XLT are pretty basic and honestly not worth the extra money. Lane assist is really herky jerky and not particularly refined, and how much do you reeeeeeeallly need blindspot monitoring on a small truck? Visibility should be no problem. A wider array of driver assists options at the XLT trim would've made me buy it.

Growls:
There is occasional snow where I live and occasional dirt roads, so AWD on the hybrid would've been helpful.

"AHHH COME THE **** ON!":
Considering that, at it's core, this is an entry level compact targeting new/young buyers, having the one stereo upgrade only being available at the highest trim level plus a $4,000 Luxury package upgrade is pretty damn silly if you ask me. That should be in the XLT Luxury, as I'm sure their focus groups of hip young people at some point talked about how they want a nice stereo. At least make it an individual option.

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
Grumbles:
The Co-pilot 360 features on the XLT are pretty basic and honestly not worth the extra money. Lane assist is really herky jerky and not particularly refined, and how much do you reeeeeeeallly need blindspot monitoring on a small truck? Visibility should be no problem. A wider array of driver assists options at the XLT trim would've made me buy it.

Growls:
There is occasional snow where I live and occasional dirt roads, so AWD on the hybrid would've been helpful.

"AHHH COME THE **** ON!":
Considering that, at it's core, this is an entry level compact targeting new/young buyers, having the one stereo upgrade only being available at the highest trim level plus a $4,000 Luxury package upgrade is pretty damn silly if you ask me. That should be in the XLT Luxury, as I'm sure their focus groups of hip young people at some point talked about how they want a nice stereo. At least make it an individual option.
I've been using a concave mirror in all my vehicles for 25 yrs. Only spot I need to look is to my left.

Ford Maverick What do you like LEAST about the Maverick? 51uigUbJpGS._AC_SL1498_

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jukebox Nero

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
People like to complain a lot. It's really easy to sit back and nitpick other people's work, so I don't blame 'em. Especially because the people that are going to trade their hard-earned money for the Maverick don't care about the folks that wrote the thousands of pages of manuals, diagrams, and procedures for this vehicle or the thousands of hours of testing and certification to get the vehicle road-worthy; they want a finished end product with minimal problems that meets their wants and desires.

But just take a look here...this thread is 19 pages long. Not a whole lot of other threads in the first five pages of recent posts come close.
It's kind of funny how much this topic has blown up. Once the Maverick was announced and we started collecting information, I thought creating this thread would be a good place to field some minor gripes that our Ford lurkers could take in and make note of for future revisions. A central location to post some annoyances, rather than a bunch of threads that were cumbersome to keep up with.

I had no idea it would keep going this long AND all the other threads with complaints would keep going as well. Either way, I'm glad to see all of the mostly constructive comments that have made their way here. Granted, everyone has different likes and dislikes.

I didn't care for the FITS idea, but some love it. I'm OK with that and will likely go on disliking it until I see a showstopper accessory to plug into the dust collector. Other than a trash bin, that is.😉

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I'm going to have to disagree with you. A car is one of the biggest purchases a consumer will make. Like any product on the market, consumers have every right to evaluate that product and critique it. After all, it's their hard money they're spending, and a smart consumer does their due diligence, especially with a purchase of this magnitude. If they find flaws with that product, it doesn't mean they like to complain.
I absolutely agree. A vehicle to me is a tool; and just like any tool, you bet I will make sure that tool is the best one for my needs at the time.

But I'm also not afraid to contact tool manufacturers after I use and abuse things in the field. What seems great on paper and to a focus group isn't always the best solution. Constructive criticism helps progression, or "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

At the same time, you can bet that Ford did as much market research as they could at the time. Forums tend to collect a small minority of the overall picture. The people that want a regular cab Maverick with an 8' bed is not who Ford wants to sell a vehicle to.

After all, they want a smash hit that sells and gets a great ROI, not a Pontiac Aztec.

creating this thread would be a good place to field some minor gripes that our Ford lurkers could take in and make note of for future revisions.
The comments with why something is desired or needed (such as the discussions about cruise control on XL, or hybrid AWD) I think would be especially helpful to the Ford lurkers, or even future buyer lurkers who were unaware. This is opposed to the comments with two or three words ("bed too short"; "no fog lights") with no explanation.

millertyme15

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano, Chrysler 200, Jeep Wrangler
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes to the key on XLT. I hate having to fish around for keys now. That was the reason we got a Lariat. And agree on adaptive cruise, so went with Luxury package.

Of course AWD on hybrid, but I know it’ll eventually come as they work out this new technology. Or AWD will be standard on the electric version like the Lightning and be another reason to convert to an EV.
Agree on the Key for the XLT. Cmon Ford, you could have put push button start on all trim levels. Push them down the assembly line with the same ignition. At least with XLT Lux Package, you get Remote Start.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree on the Key for the XLT. Cmon Ford, you could have put push button start on all trim levels. Push them down the assembly line with the same ignition. At least with XLT Lux Package, you get Remote Start.
Everyone gets remote start and lock/unlock via the app regardless...not much of a selling point, usually my phone is closer than my keys anyway!

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte

But just take a look here...this thread is 19 pages long. Not a whole lot of other threads in the first five pages of recent posts come close.
I disagree. This thread is 19 pages long because it's an open-ended question that everyone can relate to. Personally, I love the Maverick. I haven't even seen it in person yet or driven it yet, and I love it. That said, there is bound to be SOMETHING that I like the LEAST about it. Nothing big. Certainly nothing that is a deal-breaker. This is the Maverick Truck Club. It's not a Nissan Frontier forum where people are griping about the new Ford Maverick. I see this entire thread as constructive criticism for Ford regarding what they can do better in future model years.

Sponsored

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
For me, the Maverick hit the nail mostly on the head. Here are the things that I wish were different:
  • Push button start on XLT and even the XL (What the heck?!)
  • XLT interion available on the Lariat (I really, really like the orange accents)
  • AWD Hybrid Option
  • Rear window that would roll down instead of a tiny sliding window (like in a 4Runner -- pictured)
  • Large touch screen instead of the cubby... but that was probably a production choice given the chip shortage.
Ford Maverick What do you like LEAST about the Maverick? 2014_toyota_4runner_trail_premium_71

millertyme15

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano, Chrysler 200, Jeep Wrangler
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
UGLY COLOR interior on XLT and Lariat. No SIRIUS radio option except on Lariat luxury package. WTF?

Allow XLT owners to get the "normal" gray XL interior color and a SIRIUS radio as a stand alone option. Its a 2022 model for god sake!

If someone from Ford comes on here and tells me they will give me SIRIUS and the charcoal XL interior on the XLT I'll order one that day.

(You can probably buy the charcoal trim pieces from the XL later and stream SIRIUS through your phone but I shouldn't have to)

I really want to buy one as its exactly what I'm looking for but I really think next year will be a include a new bunch of options and choices.
And possibly new prices. I ordered now because I am afraid Ford will increase the pricing on this if it is a home run. BTW, I agree on the Sirius Radio, Cmon, those head units should be the same in all trims. For now, as you say, I will stream Sirius/XM with my phone app as I do today. Only pay for it in one vehicle, and use it in the others with bluetooth.

L3fty

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Enclave
For me, the Maverick hit the nail mostly on the head. Here are the things that I wish were different:

• Rear window that would roll down instead of a tiny sliding window (like in a 4Runner -- pictured)
2014_toyota_4runner_trail_premium_71.jpg
👆 this is the biggie for me

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Probably the hard plastic surfaces... I remember driving a Frontier and thinking how cheap it felt inside (Hard plastic surfaces) And then I've driven a 2015 +/- Escape and I thought how cheap it felt inside... That was more about the weird/cheap instrument cluster...
But maybe they have learned something and this will give the impression of higher quality??? Hopefully
Sponsored