Sponsored

What battery type is in the Maverick Hybrid?

RetiredAF530

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’ve parked vehicles for extended periods (90+ days) inside my garage while I was away with only disconnecting the negative terminal. Once I returned, I simply reconnected the negative, tightened the terminal and everything worked as designed. No issues with any of the onboard electronics.
Sponsored

Ponyprez

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang 2+2, 2008 Shelby GT500, 2015 Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
unknown until you remove the cover and look at the Mfg sticker. could be AGM could be "wet".
search AGM or Deep Sleep in the forums for more info
There are a hundred battery threads on this forum.

Hybrids are delivered with a standard flooded battery....

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use a Noco G3500 on all sorts of 12V batts, and it works great on the Mav hybrid when I need it to sit a week or more. (No Deep Sleep advisories!) I think the current equivalent is the Genius5. Since any charger must connect thru the battery current sensor, the easy place to connect for temporary or infrequent use is under the hood at the copper jump-start terminal under the red plastic dust cover.
I wish I knew more about the HVB and how that can be maintained over time. e.g. If low, will it charge from the 12V batt enough to start the ICE?

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

...I wish I knew more about the HVB and how that can be maintained over time. e.g. If low, will it charge from the 12V batt enough to start the ICE?
No. It's the other way round. The HV Li-ion battery charges the 12v battery. The truck has protections to keep the HV battery from getting too low.

If storing a Hybrid for months; in addition to connecting a 12v battery tender before storage, I would do the final drive in Sport Mode and the A/C off. That should force ICE operation and charge the Lithium-ion battery to around 70%. Li-ion batteries can usually hold a charge for years. IIRC, the Maverick's allowable charge range is somewhere ~30-80%, which protects the Li-ion battery and should still be enough to start the ICE.

Sponsored

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No. It's the other way round. The HV Li-ion battery charges the 12v battery. The truck has protections to keep the HV battery from getting too low.
If storing a Hybrid for months; in addition to connecting a 12v battery tender before storage, I would do the final drive in Sport Mode and the A/C off. That should force ICE operation and charge the Lithium-ion battery to around 70%. Li-ion batteries can usually hold a charge for years. IIRC, the Maverick's allowable charge range is somewhere ~30-80%, which protects the Li-ion battery and should still be enough to start the ICE.
I recall seeing a YT video a couple years ago wherein an older hybrid (an Escape, I think) had a button hidden behind an access panel near or in the driver's door jamb. Pushing this button activated a DC/DC converter that charged the HVB from the 12V one for a fixed period of time, like 20 minutes. As I understood it, this was Ford's way to safely get you out of a "totally dead" situation using just jumper cables and a power-donor vehicle. It seemed like a decent idea to me at the time, but I can envision how such a feature would get cost-cut, especially in a budget design like the Mav.

xplorguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Veloster N
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what type battery is in the Maverick Hybrid and how to keep it charged for 4+ months while the truck is in storage?
A quality battery maintainer with as little as 1.5 amps of output will work fine for storage periods. Be sure to only connect to the under hood positive and ground points. Your owners manual shows where they are located.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I recall seeing a YT video a couple years ago wherein an older hybrid (an Escape, I think) had a button hidden behind an access panel near or in the driver's door jamb. Pushing this button activated a DC/DC converter that charged the HVB from the 12V one for a fixed period of time, like 20 minutes. As I understood it, this was Ford's way to safely get you out of a "totally dead" situation using just jumper cables and a power-donor vehicle. It seemed like a decent idea to me at the time, but I can envision how such a feature would get cost-cut, especially in a budget design like the Mav.
Normally, the HV battery has protections to prevent it from totally discharging.
Sponsored