First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick has an estimated curb weight ranging from 3,550 to 3,750 lbs. it is relatively small truck. it is more like a sedan than a truck. the towing limitation in maverick is everywhere: small brakes. light duty transmission, engine, unibody, etc.

Agreed with above comments. WDH is for weight distribution to "balance" trailer and vehicle. WDH will not increase towing capacity but it will "level/balance " the vehicle by shifting some weight from back wheels to front wheels. Yes. some WDH have friction based sway control that will give you more confidence in towing.
@GPSMan Would you please ask your ENGINEER how to convert Maverick to towing truck. I am just wondering if your ENGINEER can challenge laws of physics.
There are plenty of trailers at or near 4K lbs that a WDH are helpful for. No one is saying to use a WDH and then go and tow 10k pounds. The purpose is to redistribute weight which will lessen the tongue weight and rear squat and create a better towing experience.

Ford has shown if you can’t uses a WDH that they will make it very very clear just like they did on the Tranist.

Using the well it’s blank therfore they are saying not to use it doesn’t work when we look at other Ford trucks. Ford leaves the same section blank for the Ranger which is clearly not a unibody truck and is perfectly capable of using a WDH. Ford is basically saying it’s not required to tow the max. Which is correct it’s not. However, tow a tall trailer close to the max weight and it will makes a massive difference in terms of sway control and ease of towing.
Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In a nut shell...

WDH is most useful and most effective when tongue weight is high.

While usually they go hand in hand, it's more about tongue weight than trailer weight.

campjake

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Rav 4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are plenty of trailers at or near 4K lbs that a WDH are helpful for. No one is saying to use a WDH and then go and tow 10k pounds. The purpose is to redistribute weight which will lessen the tongue weight and rear squat and create a better towing experience.

Ford has shown if you can’t uses a WDH that they will make it very very clear just like they did on the Tranist.

Using the well it’s blank therfore they are saying not to use it doesn’t work when we look at other Ford trucks. Ford leaves the same section blank for the Ranger which is clearly not a unibody truck and is perfectly capable of using a WDH. Ford is basically saying it’s not required to tow the max. Which is correct it’s not. However, tow a tall trailer close to the max weight and it will makes a massive difference in terms of sway control and ease of towing.
*Yes, this is clearly the correct take. I'd also add that I called Ford, and they affirmed this point. In terms of personal experience, I have a Little Guy Mini Max trailer with a dry weight of 2,500 pounds. I'm not the most experienced tower, but it was very clear to me that having a distribution hitch on this made for a better towing experience. I tried with and without. I took a 700-mile trip with a distribution hitch. The trailer was more stable. Having that distribution hitch on mattered quite a bit.

campjake

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Rav 4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In a nut shell...

WDH is most useful and most effective when tongue weight is high.

While usually they go hand in hand, it's more about tongue weight than trailer weight.
I don't believe it's that simple. The gross weight of the trailer matters in and of itself. When you add a high frontal square footage, that also comes into play. Yes, the tongue weight matters, but the other variables matter too. It's not and either/or. It's an and. Said differently, your tongue weight could be fine, but that doesn't wholly negate the benefits of a WDH.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't believe it's that simple. The gross weight of the trailer matters in and of itself. When you add a high frontal square footage, that also comes into play. Yes, the tongue weight matters, but the other variables matter too. It's not and either/or. It's an and. Said differently, your tongue weight could be fine, but that doesn't wholly negate the benefits of a WDH.
Said differently, if your tongue weight is 100 or 200 pounds, don't waste $$$ on a WDH.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A WDH is a form of leaf spring that attempts to "flatten" the natural V shape that forms between vehicle and trailer. Leveling both vehicles.

It "stiffens" the connection and there will be less "bouncing" going over undulations. But with smaller trailers, if there's nothing much to "level" it's not doing much of anything.
Sponsored