First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what the hitch weight capacity is for a Motorcycle carrier that gets installed right onto the hitch? Tongue weight basically? thanks!
Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Does anyone know what the hitch weight capacity is for a Motorcycle carrier that gets installed right onto the hitch? Tongue weight basically? thanks!
To directly address the OP's question: The Maverick hitch receiver itself is the same part, whether you have 2K and 4K towing capacity. It is rated for a maximum tongue load of 400 pounds, whether or not you have the 4K tow package. (See page 45 of the 2022 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide.)

Remember, that's just the rating for the hitch receiver itself, and does not mean you can automatically carry 400 pounds on that receiver... The motorcycle carrier weight plus the weight of the bike needs to be under 400 lbs. And remember that the weight of those two items are subtracted from your remaining "payload". You probably cannot put 400 lbs on the receiver and still carry 1000 lbs in the bed...

You have to ensure the total weight of the passengers, baggage and other "stuff" in the bed, and the weight of your carrier + bike weight still remains below your vehicle's maximum payload (sticker in the driver's door frame - my fully loaded FE Hybrid has a max useful load of ~1350 lbs).

Technically, you should also ensure you're not exceeding the rear axle load capacity, but I haven't found that to be an issue with the Maverick. By my calculations, unless you're a really skinny person driving solo, it's pretty difficult to overload the rear axle. I think Ford did a pretty good job with the Maverick design in that respect.