Weight distribution hitch

Cashman1234

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick First Edition
I've never use one and hauled up to 21k on a tri axle with a 1 ton truck but pulling a 6x12 U-haul trailer 1300 miles with the maverick makes me wonder if I should, what do you guys think? I have the 4k tow package and this will be a 1 shot deal for this truck.

I'm going to assume I will be at max or just over 4k.
Sponsored

???

First Name
Corbin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore
I've never use one and hauled up to 21k on a tri axle with a 1 ton truck but pulling a 6x12 U-haul trailer 1300 miles with the maverick makes me wonder if I should, what do you guys think? I have the 4k tow package and this will be a 1 shot deal for this truck.

I'm going to assume I will be at max or just over 4k.
As I understand it, it's generally not advised to use a weight distribution hitch on a unibody truck, but if you're going to be around the max weight you'd probably want one.... so a bit of a conundrum.

OP
OP
Cashman1234

Cashman1234

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick First Edition
Well I thought I would hook up and go try it and it did just fine without one. This little truck amazes me. We just drove 1400 miles pulling a 6x12 uhaul trailer loaded to the top and 800lbs of gear in the bed of the truck including the dog and 2 of us. driving 65mph into 20~30mph head winds the hole way we averaged 13 mpg running premium fuel.

tempforce

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
56 f100, 83 ranger, 84 dodge d150, 13 fusion hyb,
if you use one, get a light duty equalizing hitch. 400-500 lb range for hitch weight and make sure you get some sort of sway control device.

wbsobe74

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT AWD with tow package
I contacted an RV service center today about having a weight distribution hitch put on my RV. When I told the service person my vehicle. He told me to check with Ford, to see if they allow the use WDH with the Maverick. He stated that this was mostly due to the Maverick's unibody. He said that having a WDH violates the warranty of some automakers (i.e. Volkswagen) on their unibody vehicles. I looked in my Maverick Owners Manual I couldn't find anything. I also looked on www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides I could not find any comments strictly forbidding the use of WDH with the Maverick. Anyone else have any insight? Thanks.

Sponsored

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
if you use one, get a light duty equalizing hitch. 400-500 lb range for hitch weight and make sure you get some sort of sway control device.
Maverick has sway control built in .

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The consensus is that WD receiver hitches not appropriate for a unibody vehicle. The Maverick's tow rating is w/o WD. If it were meant to use weight distribution there would be (2) tongue weight/tow ratings like other Ford vehicles. good luck

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I contacted an RV service center today about having a weight distribution hitch put on my RV. When I told the service person my vehicle. He told me to check with Ford, to see if they allow the use WDH with the Maverick. He stated that this was mostly due to the Maverick's unibody. He said that having a WDH violates the warranty of some automakers (i.e. Volkswagen) on their unibody vehicles. I looked in my Maverick Owners Manual I couldn't find anything. I also looked on www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides I could not find any comments strictly forbidding the use of WDH with the Maverick. Anyone else have any insight? Thanks.
Page 46 of the towing guide shows this:
Ford Maverick Weight distribution hitch 1657228587499

wbsobe74

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT AWD with tow package
Thanks for the information. I like the Maverick BUT I have the XLT AWD with toe package. I have an RV that weighs about 3000lbs. When I use to tow my trailer with my F150 I felt nothing, it was solid. With the Maverick I am getting a lot of swaying. I am constantly making minor steering corrections when towing. The towing does not inspire confidence. So I was looking for something to minimize the swaying; WDH or Anti Sway bar. I use “Tow/Haul” I have the “anti sway” feature turned on the Maverick. Still I feel the trailer and the truck sway too much in my opinion. Maybe it is just the difference between body on frame in my F150 vs unibody in the Maverick?

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How much tongue weight is on your Maverick’s ball?

Is the trailer’s weight dry or loaded with gear, water, etc.?

There’s a huge difference in towing with a full frame F150 that can do well over 11k lbs and a Maverick

Good luck

Last edited:
Sponsored

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The consensus is that WD receiver hitches not appropriate for a unibody vehicle. The Maverick's tow rating is w/o WD. If it were meant to use weight distribution there would be (2) tongue weight/tow ratings like other Ford vehicles. good luck
A: Where is this consensus and what are the limits to it?

B: The Maverick is not an “ordinary” unibody vehicle. Put another way, there is a big difference between a Camry and a Maverick, yet they are both built with unibody methods.

C: As per a user above, Ford’s own towing guides make no mention of this restriction, except a note on the Transit.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...-guides/2022_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve actually used a WDH on my Maverick at it worked great. I would do so again for any load over ~3,000lbs.

For reference, I repositioned our large travel trailer across town. Note that I actively discourage anyone from doing this on a “real” trip. With a trailer this size, there is genuine danger of the tail wagging the dog, particularly in high winds. However, a short trip on level roads was fine. Amazingly stable in fact.

Ford Maverick Weight distribution hitch 545B0738-5797-454E-8DE6-8E64D4B1D825

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the link. I see the pages but do not see anything suggesting no WDH on a Maverick.

I do see that there is no increase to the rating on a Maverick in the WDH column, but that is not the same as “don’t do this”. Am I missing something?
I'm not seeing any WDH rating for Maverick, but I guess you'd rather see a zero in those columns? Looking at Keystone's Bullet trailer specs, none of them are 4Klbs or under anyway.

HRG

Ford Maverick Weight distribution hitch Mav WDH rating.JPG
Sponsored