Sponsored

**WARNING** Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Pre-Collision Assist Errors and random computer braking

Buyerfind

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Hybrid Lariat,No Deletes,10/5/21 order 11/5/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2022 CO Lariat Hybrid with now 22k miles. Since 9,800 miles I have been getting frequent (every few days now) Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Pre-Collision Assist Errors on clear sky day/night and a few times more recently a Red Collision Warning with sound along with random computer braking on CLEAR roads. I have been to the dealer twice already but they say they won't "throw parts at it" until they can generate the error themselves. They DID, however, re-align the windshield (and I guess re-calibrate the camera(s)), but this did not fix the issue. btw, the random braking is scary when it happens.

I have discovered that when I get the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Pre-Collision Assist errors, after about 30 or 40 minutes sometimes it will clear, but 100% of the time if I, when stopped, turn off the engine, open the door, close the door and restart my cruise control can be used again.

Does anyone else have/had this issue? If so, did you get it fixed and what was done to fix it?

I have included a few pics.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Ford Maverick **WARNING** Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Pre-Collision Assist Errors and random computer braking 20230526_161116

Ford Maverick **WARNING** Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Pre-Collision Assist Errors and random computer braking 20240203_210532
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hcopter

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ranger, 2023 Maverick Lariat, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I seem to remember someone having similar issues and it turned out that the ACC sensor behind the grill was loose on its mount, which fits what you describe and makes sense that it would get looser with time/miles.

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's my understanding that the ACC and pre-collision assist work off the same sensor in the grill of the truck. If that's not dirty and/or otherwise not blocked, it would certainly seem that there could be an issue with the sensor. I would maybe seek a second professional opinion.

I get from a dealer perspective they "can't do anything until they can replicate the issue", which is kind of standard practice for warranty stuff, but it sounds like they don't want to spend time trying either. I mean if they could swap a known good part, that would seem like a good start - but I'm not the dealer, sooo....

Good luck!

OP
OP
Buyerfind

Buyerfind

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's my understanding that the ACC and pre-collision assist work off the same sensor in the grill of the truck. If that's not dirty and/or otherwise not blocked, it would certainly seem that there could be an issue with the sensor. I would maybe seek a second professional opinion.

I get from a dealer perspective they "can't do anything until they can replicate the issue", which is kind of standard practice for warranty stuff, but it sounds like they don't want to spend time trying either. I mean if they could swap a known good part, that would seem like a good start - but I'm not the dealer, sooo....

Good luck!
Agreed. I have cleaned that many times. It is not truly an obstruction of the camera or sensor if turning the engine off and back on again returns it to an operational state. I think it is a"short" or some other quirk of the sensor. I have been to two Ford dealers already. I am wording an NTSB complaint now.

Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Haven’t had any issues with mine except a few times the collision warning should sound off even though vehicle ahead was still good way off. The setting for it in the dash was set to High, I changed it to medium and haven’t had that happen anymore

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh so if you have made changes with forscan return it to stock and see if that cures it

OP
OP
Buyerfind

Buyerfind

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you tried resetting your IPMA settings? I see you have it FORScanned to have traffic sign detection on.
I have not tried that - however, I did make known to the dealers that change for speed limit signs made.

OP
OP
Buyerfind

Buyerfind

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Haven’t had any issues with mine except a few times the collision warning should sound off even though vehicle ahead was still good way off. The setting for it in the dash was set to High, I changed it to medium and haven’t had that happen anymore
Sensitivity set to low. FYI twice crash alert has alerted with red screen and emergency braking - once in a clear interection, once open highway.

squints

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just started getting a similar error, but it doesn't say it's obstructed. It's been in the shop since yesterday and they can't figure it out. I got the notification today on the app, so they've at least been able to duplicate the error

Sponsored

squints

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update: Apparently it was the cruise control module that was having intermittent power issues. Part is 4 days out. At least they gave me a loaner F-150 (would've preferred a Mach-E given the choice)

Hcopter

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ranger, 2023 Maverick Lariat, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I found the thread discussing very similar symptoms to yours:

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...n-sensor-adaptive-cruise-not-available.33147/

The final post from the thread:

Update: ultimately it took four visits. They ordered a new sensor, and upon disassembly found that the bracket was broken. When we installed new bracket with a new sensor, the system is performing flawlessly. Based on a handful of other comments about a loose bracket, I would check the bracket first. Case closed after 17,000 miles.
I think the square, plastic cover over the ACC sensor in the grill just snaps in place, I would pop it off and try wiggling the sensor to see if it is loose.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have not tried that - however, I did make known to the dealers that change for speed limit signs made.
I would highly suggest following Darnon's advice and resetting it to stock.

If it repeats after that - and it probably will - then you have a bad bracket or ACC radar module that the dealership can fix under warranty.

North1250

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP