First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As someone who has never driven an Escape hybrid with eCVT, can someone give me a general description of how they drive? I'm used to 5 or 6 speed automatics. My order is for an XLT hybrid because I could benefit from the 40mpg on my daily commute (Tundra only gets 11-12mpg). Thanks,
Search in YouTube for 2020 or 2021 Escape Hybrid drive review. That's what I did when debating between the two Maverick powertrains. There are several including 0-60 runs.
Sponsored

Bikeric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD XLT Hybrid Mav
Best thing to do is go drive one.
Easier said then done. None for sale in my city (new or used). I would have to drive 30 miles to the nearest listed dealer that says they have one.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Easier said then done. None for sale in my city (new or used). I would have to drive 30 miles to the nearest listed dealer that says they have one.
If you are worried about driving 30 miles, you probably don’t need a hybrid 😁

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
You don't get any hard shiftpoints, it's just sort of infinitely smooth
I own a Honda Civic hybrid now HCH2, it has a CVT and I had a mechanic try and tell me it was shifting roughly. Of course the same mechanic also claimed my engine only had 4 spark plugs and was an electric vehicle. Probably why I gave them a 1 star avoid rating on (as he put it) “googleface or whatever”
CVT have no definite shift points, so they are very smooth. Kind of important to me now that I am 4 inches shorter due to having broken my back.

Bikeric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD XLT Hybrid Mav
If you are worried about driving 30 miles, you probably don’t need a hybrid 😁
60 mile round trip at 11mpg to see a vehicle that may or may not be there. I know it's only a wasted hour and $15 in gas. No need for me to get a hybrid.
Honestly, my comment was about the lack of an example to "just test drive" so I came to the forum to ask the opinions of those who have experience with the CVT.

Sponsored

adawalli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2010 Toyota Prius 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Bobinmi - any updates on transmission production resuming?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That L gear has been brought up by Escape & Fusion Hybrid owners. They say the affect on driving in L feels like harder braking. The owner's manual says it's meant for engine braking but owners say this "braking" happens even without the ICE running. My guess is: L gear adjusts the regenerative braking to engage earlier/harder. I drive a Chevy Volt that has an L gear and we call it "one pedal driving" because you let off the accelerator and the regenerate brakes kick in. So L will probably not help low speed / high torque like traditional ICE tranny gearing.

Unless I'm mistaken, IC engine only provides power one way, there is no IC engine braking, all the breaking happens on the electric traction motor which is directly tied to the wheels no matter what, but ICE is variably applied to the final drive gear through it's relationship with the generator motor and that whole planetary gear system those two parts share. Again I could be wrong, but my impression is that the generator motor can start the ICE, but not slow it down via direct resistance since that resistance is what allows the planetary gears apply their force into the drive gear. EDIT: now that I say that, I guess if the ICE is *trying* to apply its force to the drive gear, but it can't due to resistance, then that would be IC engine braking as long as the generator motor resistance is holding up? But wouldn't that just wasteful and purposeless if the traction motor is doing its regenerative braking, and you'd rather just shut off the ICE or apply ICE force to spinning the generator motor at least?

I'm guessing L tells the system to prepare the ICE to apply final drive gear torque at lower speeds more readily (inefficiently), in addition to the more aggressive traction motor regenerative braking. I think that means that the ICE would be running at much higher RPM than normal at lower speeds?

Last edited:

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless I'm mistaken, IC engine only provides power one way, there is no IC engine braking, all the breaking happens on the electric traction motor which is directly tied to the wheels no matter what, but ICE is variably applied to the final drive gear through it's relationship with the generator motor and that whole planetary gear system those two parts share. Again I could be wrong, but my impression is that the generator motor can start the ICE, but not slow it down via direct resistance since that resistance is what allows the planetary gears apply their force into the drive gear. EDIT: now that I say that, I guess if the ICE is *trying* to apply its force to the drive gear, but it can't due to resistance, then that would be IC engine braking as long as the generator motor resistance is holding up? But wouldn't that just wasteful and purposeless if the traction motor is doing its regenerative braking, and you'd rather just shut off the ICE or apply ICE force to spinning the generator motor at least?

I'm guessing L tells the system to prepare the ICE to apply final drive gear torque at lower speeds more readily (inefficiently), in addition to the more aggressive traction motor regenerative braking. I think that means that the ICE would be running at much higher RPM than normal at lower speeds?
You are guessing quite a bit fir a question answered definitively elsewhere in the forums

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are guessing quite a bit fir a question answered definitively elsewhere in the forums
I did a search but I can't find the thread, you got a linkie or keyword? My post is more of question than a statement lol

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did a search but I can't find the thread, you got a linkie or keyword? My post is more of question than a statement lol
Braking

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man I'm still not finding a clear answer about if IC engine braking is a thing on a Ford or Toyota style hybrid system or if my guesses are anywhere near reality. Can you give me the answer lol

EDIT: this video I found for Toyota hybrid "B" mode says IC engine provides additional engine braking. Welp, I was wrong if this is similar to Ford's L mode.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man I'm still not finding a clear answer about if IC engine braking is a thing on a Ford or Toyota style hybrid system or if my guesses are anywhere near reality. Can you give me the answer lol

EDIT: this video I found for Toyota hybrid "B" mode says IC engine provides additional engine braking. Welp, I was wrong if this is similar to Ford's L mode.
“The hybrid vehicle should achieve longer distances between oil changes, and the brake pads are expected to last longer on the hybrid due to regenerative braking.” That quote is specifically about the Maverick

other info points to the engine operating as an air pump once regeneration has filled the battery, still others have stated that it will cycle the inline electric motor between gereration and resistive power. Both modes exist in Ford hybrids.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
“The hybrid vehicle should achieve longer distances between oil changes, and the brake pads are expected to last longer on the hybrid due to regenerative braking.” That quote is specifically about the Maverick
Finally found this post, this might be what I'm looking for, from Ford Escape Hybrid manual:

I look forward to the Maverick Owner's Manual being on-line.
Until then, you might refer to the Escape Owner's Manual, as I expect that the hybrid technology will be similar.

For its hybrids, Ford seems to call engine braking "grade assist" which is supposed to detect when you're coasting downhill.
The Escape manual refers to a button (see below), but late-model Escape owners say it's actually an option in one of the touchscreen menus.
In one "grade assist" explanatory video Ford suggests you leave this function on all the time.
If I understand correctly, shifting into Low gear with the rotary selector provides engine braking but doesn't recharge your battery as "grade assist" does.

GRADE ASSIST - HYBRID ELECTRIC VEHICLE (HEV)
What Is Grade Assist

Provides additional grade braking with a combination of engine motoring and high-voltage battery charging to help maintain vehicle speed when descending a grade.
Switching Grade Assist On and Off
Press the grade assist button to activate grade assist. The grade assist lamp appears in the instrument cluster. Press the button again to switch it off. Your vehicle determines the amount of engine motoring and high-voltage battery charging. You could notice the engine speed increasing and decreasing to help maintain your vehicle speed when descending a slope.

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I own a Honda Civic hybrid now HCH2, it has a CVT and I had a mechanic try and tell me it was shifting roughly. Of course the same mechanic also claimed my engine only had 4 spark plugs and was an electric vehicle. Probably why I gave them a 1 star avoid rating on (as he put it) “googleface or whatever”
CVT have no definite shift points, so they are very smooth. Kind of important to me now that I am 4 inches shorter due to having broken my back.
Think it will have simulated shift points like my ex's Scion iQ's had? That was weird at first, but I loved the transmission. (and I prefer a manual).
Sponsored