clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Went to local dealer and was flat out rejected saying nothing on my VIN in system that requires this update. When i tried to show her the TSB she refused/ignored it. 🤦‍♂️
What the heck? Can you go to another dealer nearby?
Sponsored

MojoJojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav Hybrid XLT
What the heck? Can you go to another dealer nearby?
yea there is another dealer i will try. I also get that cold shudder from time to time under 20mph and accelerating i wonder if this TSB is going to fix that.

Another small issue i noticed, a slight surge whenever ICE engages and it happens both on low speed as well as highway speed its super weird for it to happen on highway speeds as i thought ICE is always running at 70MPH, at highways it specifically happens when i am trying to keep up at 70mph by pressing the accelerator. Not sure if its an issue or its how the system is designed to run. I used to have a prius and that never behaved liked this low speed or highway.

Its very similar to what Honda's i-vetec with VCM does. One would feel a slight jerk/lunge every time VCM engaged/disengaged.. hated that thing!!! Now almost all Honda V6's are VCM and i am never going to consider buying a Honda with that function.

jwiedle24

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat w/Luxury Pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
well I didn’t had it and when they proceeded to updates the modules, the horn and lights icon appeared into the app.

in a local group, some people with ecoboost have the horn and lights icon after doing the tow brake recall.
FYI Just got on my app and I have not had the TSB done for my hybrid, but it now shows the horn/lights button on the app.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FYI Just got on my app and I have not had the TSB done for my hybrid, but it now shows the horn/lights button on the app.
Yeah seems the latest update to the iOS app activated the horn/light button.

Cruzer01

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same here on Android, thanks for the heads up.

Sponsored

XLTLUXRED

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid, Mini 4 door
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Today we got the 2.5L Hybrid idle surge fix software update! They said they didn't find a problem with ours, but I think they put it through as a possibility and "updated 5 modules." Spouse didn't ask which 5. Anybody else have this done and know? The process took about 3 hours.

Our Maverick has been ours for 2 months as of today!

We get the "shudder" as we get going down our road, nearly every time. We think it's when the system is cold and first switching gears. We'll have to see if that got fixed by the software update or not. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had some sort of weird rough idle here and there. It felt like someone is pushing the gas pedal and would let go while the truck was not moving forward. It was only a thing in winter but I have not experienced it all the time. I took it to my dealership last week for oil change and they found the service bulletin but asked me to come in this week and leave the truck there. This morning I went there to drop off the truck and there was another service advisor. He told me he cant find anything under my VIN number??? I went inside and got the service advisor from last week and he took the truck in and took care of it. He texted me later this afternoon and told me they need to do some road test and will give me back the truck tomorrow.

I am not really sure if getting this taking care of was the right thing to do. I didn't have really a big issue and sometime dealerships cause more damage than fix things. On the other hand, the issue seem to be real and I rather have them look at it before something blows up. Anyway, I will keep you all posted, lets see how it goes...

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had some sort of weird rough idle here and there. It felt like someone is pushing the gas pedal and would let go while the truck was not moving forward. It was only a thing in winter but I have not experienced it all the time. I took it to my dealership last week for oil change and they found the service bulletin but asked me to come in this week and leave the truck there. This morning I went there to drop off the truck and there was another service advisor. He told me he cant find anything under my VIN number??? I went inside and got the service advisor from last week and he took the truck in and took care of it. He texted me later this afternoon and told me they need to do some road test and will give me back the truck tomorrow.

I am not really sure if getting this taking care of was the right thing to do. I didn't have really a big issue and sometime dealerships cause more damage than fix things. On the other hand, the issue seem to be real and I rather have them look at it before something blows up. Anyway, I will keep you all posted, lets see how it goes...
So I got my truck back today. They did the software update and told me no more rough idle. What I have noticed immediately that the gas engine runs now much more frequently than before. I only drove few miles but I have the impression the gas mileage went down significantly. I have to drive more to get a better idea. Fact is that my distance to empty went down by 50%. But other people reported about this too and said that it went back to normal again.
On the other hand, it seems that the rough idle is gone. Things are much more smoothly. I also agree that the braking is different, closer to braking with a regular gas car.
I will drive 2, 300 miles and report back.

BTW, it seems that they have only updated the PCM, didn't do anything on the other modules. I am wondering if that was legit??

Last edited:
Reactions: HTX

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just picked mine up from having the TSB done. It took a couple of hours. Only drove it home about 7 miles so not sure I noticed anything different other than my miles to empty went from 280 to 190.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I suspect that the displayed "Distance To Empty" (DTE) may change after the TSB because once it's reset the computer forgets what average mileage you usually get.

I have no proof of this theory, but I did find a post in an F150 forum quoting from a 2016 Ford Repair Manual:

"The DTE is calculated in the IPC using the Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE), which is the fuel economy over the last 480 km (300 miles), and the fuel level input from the fuel sender(s) to determine how many miles the vehicle can be driven based on the remaining fuel in the tank."

Sponsored

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Edited:

For what it is worth, I picked the Mav up Friday night after the TSB 22-2124 update for the cold start surging idle issue and drove it home. I had it in Normal driving mode the whole time and I am pretty sure I can back up the comments about the braking system feeling smoother after this update. I have put around 40 or so additional miles on it this last weekend and it really does seem quite a bit better.

It seems this TSB may have touched more than just the cold idle issue. The service order from my dealer stated that the TSB 22-2124 - operation MT222124 included the reprogramming of the PCM, SOBDM-C, BECM, and BECMB. Also, my FordPass App now has a Horn & Lights button that was definitely not there until the update was applied.

This TSB was for Maverick Hybrids built on or before March 9th, 2022. Anything after that should already have the update. The update is dealer only and cannot just be downloaded. https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...-hybrid-idle-surge-fix-software-update.12761/

Final note: If you are in the hybrid build date range for this TSB(all hybrids built up through 3-9-22) and you go to schedule the work with your dealer, they are instructed to ask you if you have had the idle surging issue. How you answer that question may affect whether or not they are willing to perform the TSB.
I had mine done last week but in the report they say that they only updated the PCM. I am wondering if this half A** update without updating the other modules makes things even worse because the modules are not synchronized as they should. Did anyone else had only the PCM updated? In all the other posts it seems they updates several modules. I am wondering if I should go back and have them update the other modules too. Thoughts?

PS: Adding @Ford Motor Company, maybe you guys have an answer here.

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if this “fix” subjects the battery to overcharging? I wonder how they addressed this.
I propose that the "fix" involves limiting the rate of charge to prevent hvb damage and not actually overcharging the battery. The rate of charge of lithium ion batteries is directly related to the temperature of the battery. A battery at say 40° will not accept as many amps as a warmer battery and is true for any temperature up to the self destruct temperature (that's why they control the operating temperature of the battery. If the battery is below the minimum operating temp they will heat it and when it get above the maximum preferred temperature they will cool it. In any case the update was apparently to better control the ice while it was cold.

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not happy with the software update. The rough idle is definitely gone but I have now my gas engine kicking in more often than before. I also have the feeling that the transition between gas and electric is not as smoothly as it used to be. As mentioned before, they only updated the PCM software and didn't do anything with the other 4 modules (which are updated for most of the other owners who went through the update process). The worst thing for me is that the Gas Mileage went down from 42 to 36ish. I will bring it back and have them look at it and update the other modules.

Retrospectivley, I think I just should have left it as is was. The rough idle didn't bother me much and I think the big problems happened in the geographic regions with cold temperature. My truck will stay in California, so I am not sure if this update was really necessary.
Sponsored