Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We have ordered the 2.0 ecoboost FWD with 4k tow. We are going to be pulling this awesome little trailer 14BH:

1630088706830.png

https://travelliterv.com/rvs/2021-rove-lite-travel-trailers/

Hitch Weight
Hitch Height
17"
GVWR
2,500 lbs
UVW
1,850 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity
650 lbs
Exterior Length
16'6"
Exterior Height
8'1"
Exterior Width Body
6'6"
Exterior Width Body w/Awning
7'1"
Exterior Width w/Wheel Wells
7'11"
Looks like a great option but lots of folks complain about the build quality of these cheaper type trailers- I get it but who has $38k to spend on a Nu/Camp TAB400 ? We are still looking as well- The hard sided A frames look nice but I see so many potential problems with set-up and take down- But who knows
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless you camping every month just rent a camper and truck or RV. It's cheaper than owning. If YOU ARE camping every month get the 2.0 and 4k package. Towing at near max that often will kill the life of your drive train.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless you camping every month just rent a camper and truck or RV. It's cheaper than owning. If YOU ARE camping every month get the 2.0 and 4k package. Towing at near max that often will kill the life of your drive train.
+1, but keep in mind that renting has gone insane over the last 18 months. I have two friends that rent their RVs, their prices have nearly quadrupled since COVID.

It makes no financial sense unless you use it all the time, and renting one may help you realize that it really isn't your jam. We did it (rented a Class B for a week) ~3yrs ago and realized we liked driving our freaking jetta and sleeping in a tent just as much. Just like roof-top tents, most of the people I know with a trailer pretty much never use them.

Reactions: TCK

BoomerBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SE
Does anyone know if the Hybrid XLT can tow 2,000lbs WITH an added 1500lbs payload in the bed???

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know if the Hybrid XLT can tow 2,000lbs WITH an added 1500lbs payload in the bed???
Definitely not. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but someone did the calcs and if your towing 2,000lbs you barely have enough payload capacity for two fairly lightweight people.

Fixer upper

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy spark
“I've pitched a 2-person ground tent in the bed of a pickup.”

is that what the kids call it today? In my day that was just Friday night with your GF /rimshot
I want one of these
Ford Maverick Travel trailers for the hybrid 02C7F6C8-C196-4C8A-81EA-B4B45C2AA283

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, it does, until you look at wind tunnel flow and understand that most of the drag comes from the back end. Adding a trailer typically makes things worse. I did a "tuft test" with the C-Max, that shows the range from smooth/laminar flow to turbulent/high-drag flow. The rear roof corners show the start of trailing vortices

Sitting several feet behind the bumper, the trailer is a completely separate aerodynamic object. Bridging the gap between car and trailer would greatly reduce total drag, but it's not trivial.
I forgot about the drag that develops are the rear! As soon as I read your post I remember seeing semi's with those panels on the rear of the trailer, which I'm assuming their purpose is cut down on the negative pressure that develops back there.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm currently at an RV Show in Raleigh. No popups, a few tear drops...

Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I was looking up hybrid towing videos and found a couple of RAV4 Hybrid towing videos from Alex on Autos. This is not quite apples to apples, but Toyota's hybrid system is very similar to Ford's.
Highly recommend. Alex is a data nerd so he logged all kinds of details.

He climbed from sea level to 7,500ft IIRC, but it's been awhile since I watched these vids.

Also, he towed over the rated capacity 😳

Last edited:

MarcVelovious

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided

Lodgic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Classic Volvos, outback, Class C MH
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer is the largest that I'd tow.

I like to follow the 80% rule-of-thumb when towing. That is, don't exceed 80% of the vehicle's weight-carrying tow capacity. The hybrid is rated for 2,000lbs, so 80% would be 1,600lbs. That trailer empty is 1,600lbs and its gross exceeds the 2,000lb capacity.

However, it also depends on where you're towing. If you live in Florida or west Texas (AKA, where it's flat) and/or you don't mind going slowly (like, 30mph) up mountain passes, then I wouldn't have a problem towing that trailer.

I tow 4,000lbs over the Grapevine Pass in central/southern California with my Nissan Frontier a couple times a year. The truck can drag that trailer up at 55-60mph with power to spare, but it's doing near redline for miles. I prefer to duck behind a semi and go up at 30mph at about 2,500RPM.
I agree frontal area matters a lot. I see that a lot in my motorhome. Wind direction can change my mileage by as much as 5MPG. That's more than whether I tow or not.

Hack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious so I have to ask. When figuring out frontal area drag for towing would you combine the area of the Maverick and your trailer for the total? I would think that because the Maverick is already pushing air with it's frontal area that frontal area being added by the trailer would dramatically less than the actual area of the trailer. Does that make sense? I would think the actual area of the trailer contributing to the overall drag would less because the Maverick is already "blocking" 20 Sq ft of it.
I agree, but it's not an easy thing to calculate.
Sponsored