Sponsored

Travel trailers for the hybrid

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
I'm curious so I have to ask. When figuring out frontal area drag for towing would you combine the area of the Maverick and your trailer for the total? I would think that because the Maverick is already pushing air with it's frontal area that frontal area being added by the trailer would dramatically less than the actual area of the trailer. Does that make sense? I would think the actual area of the trailer contributing to the overall drag would less because the Maverick is already "blocking" 20 Sq ft of it.
My frontal area understanding (post #79): (21) 2022 Maverick Trailer Towing & GVWR / GCWR Guide | Page 6 | MaverickTruckClub.com - 2022+ Ford Maverick Pickup Forum, News, Info
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have seen that they are not building FWD w/4K towing, right?

You will have to update to AWD.
Make sure it has electric brakes. If not install them immediately

cnp1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
I thought this might be neat but it's really at the limit of what you can do with the hybrid: https://aliner.com/campers/lxe/. Probably tough to keep it under 2k lbs with water, gear, etc, but at least it's got a low frontal area and is hard shell all around. Not sure if the frontal area is quite small enough.

koolkats3

First Name
LuAnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 vw passat
Was hoping to get by with the 2.0 hybrid and the 2k towing package. MPG is really important to us. Thanks again.

Sponsored

koolkats3

First Name
LuAnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 vw passat
Was hoping to get by with the hybrid and the 2k towing package. MPG is really important to us. Thanks again.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
We have ordered the 2.0 ecoboost FWD with 4k tow. We are going to be pulling this awesome little trailer 14BH:

1630088706830.png

https://travelliterv.com/rvs/2021-rove-lite-travel-trailers/

Hitch Weight
Hitch Height
17"
GVWR
2,500 lbs
UVW
1,850 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity
650 lbs
Exterior Length
16'6"
Exterior Height
8'1"
Exterior Width Body
6'6"
Exterior Width Body w/Awning
7'1"
Exterior Width w/Wheel Wells
7'11"

I like it, thanks for sharing that one. I hadn't run across this brand.

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Anyone planning on getting the hybrid and planning on towing a small trailer with it? Please share what you intend to tow?

I don't have one yet but I see this Jayco 12SRK that looks like it might be doable as long as you don't load it down too much with gear.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2021-jay-feather-micro/12srk/

Jayco1.jpg

jayco2.jpg
Man, I think you’re on to something here. I really dig this trailer. I think you’re right, too, as long as you’re not loading it down, it should be fine, although it’d be hitting the upper limited of its towing capacity.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Does that make sense?
Yes, it does, until you look at wind tunnel flow and understand that most of the drag comes from the back end. Adding a trailer typically makes things worse. I did a "tuft test" with the C-Max, that shows the range from smooth/laminar flow to turbulent/high-drag flow. The rear roof corners show the start of trailing vortices

Sitting several feet behind the bumper, the trailer is a completely separate aerodynamic object. Bridging the gap between car and trailer would greatly reduce total drag, but it's not trivial.

BoomerBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SE
A 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer is the largest that I'd tow.

I like to follow the 80% rule-of-thumb when towing. That is, don't exceed 80% of the vehicle's weight-carrying tow capacity. The hybrid is rated for 2,000lbs, so 80% would be 1,600lbs. That trailer empty is 1,600lbs and its gross exceeds the 2,000lb capacity.

However, it also depends on where you're towing. If you live in Florida or west Texas (AKA, where it's flat) and/or you don't mind going slowly (like, 30mph) up mountain passes, then I wouldn't have a problem towing that trailer.

I tow 4,000lbs over the Grapevine Pass in central/southern California with my Nissan Frontier a couple times a year. The truck can drag that trailer up at 55-60mph with power to spare, but it's doing near redline for miles. I prefer to duck behind a semi and go up at 30mph at about 2,500RPM.
I found a uhaul 5x8 enclosed trailer total empty weight is 900lbs leaving 1100lbs of cargo to haul. Good for small moves!

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
So I was looking up hybrid towing videos and found a couple of RAV4 Hybrid towing videos from Alex on Autos. This is not quite apples to apples, but Toyota's hybrid system is very similar to Ford's.

Sponsored