Sponsored

Tonneau covers - trifold vs hard roll up?

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great that your cover came so quickly. I have a Bak x4s on order, but starting to think about switching it to the Sentry CT the more I read about it.

The one hang up I have about the Sentry is it sounds like you have to unlatch and lift the cover to close the tailgate vs the x4s can be left down when closing the tailgate.

Is this true with the Sentry and has it been annoying to deal with so far?
It is true, cover needs to be popped to close the tailgate. Technically you could probably go slowly and move the seal, but that would be way more work than popping it and shutting it again. I was mildly disappointed and got over it immediately - not a huge deal imo! The gate is super light, and so low that it isn't difficult to reach in with the gate just cracked a little. On a tall truck it would be much more annoying.
Sponsored

maverick4natic

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you want to see the Ford Hard Rollup, just google Revolver X2, it is the one ford sells, it just will not have the logo.

I plan to get the Revolver X4S, which is just a newer improved version with a longer warranty and is all matt black on top and under.

As short as the Maverick bed is, the rollups should cover less than half the back window. One of the reasons I like the hard rollup over the folding.

But most of the covers out there will work fairly well and look pretty good. Just depends on what someone wants and how much they want to spend...
I was set on most likely a tri-fold, but I like the design of the roll with aluminum slats. Roll seems easier but would like the security of not being able to be cut.

Can you share what the X4S updates as opposed to the X2? Thanks!

ccmjr77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Hybrid, 22 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was set on most likely a tri-fold, but I like the design of the roll with aluminum slats. Roll seems easier but would like the security of not being able to be cut.

Can you share what the X4S updates as opposed to the X2? Thanks!
X2:
gloss finish
3 Year Warranty
Rubber at tailgate not covered (see pic)
View attachment 15319

X4S
Matt Finish, even on the aluminum
5 year Warranty
Hard plastic at tailgate (see pic)
Strap latch improved.
View attachment 15318
View attachment 15321

There are other differences. Just make sure you look at the X4S, not the X4.

The X4 is basically a matt finish version of the X2. The real improvement is the X4S.

Last edited:

Heydaddy91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's more durable? hard tri-fold or Hard roll-up?

Ceeg

First Name
Cj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick
Picking my Lariat up on Tuesday and I already ordered the Bak X4s which is a hard roll up. It was expensive but it’s supposed to be one of the best. And even fully open you can still see out of the back window, which seems ideal to me.

the other thing to note is that if you want to do a bed rack down the line, you’ve gotta go with the low profile covers that attach on the inner sides of the rails, some restrict the ability to add rails for bed racks, just something to think about.

Where did you order it from? You in the US or Canada?

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's a hard question to answer. It depends on how they are made. Both are going to be more durable and secure than a soft cover. Hard ones will block the rear window if all 3 leaves are folded up to expose the entire bed.. Roll ups only blocks the lower part of the window when fully rolled up depending on the size of the window and how big a roll it makes. Retractables don't block the window at all but eat up bed space. You may want to browse the websites of different dealers to see pics.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you mean durable as "security -- keep thieves out", or durable as "won't fade or get dinged up/damaged under normal wear and tear"?

I think it would be harder to vandalize a hard tri-fold, since the hard rollup still has a canvas that could be ruined with a knife while the hard tri-fold would just get scratched or dinged up with a knife or blunt object.

That's just my opinion I don't have experience with either one.

JRPhawk

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
I'm looking into a soft Quad fold

Heydaddy91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you mean durable as "security -- keep thieves out", or durable as "won't fade or get dinged up/damaged under normal wear and tear"?

I think it would be harder to vandalize a hard tri-fold, since the hard rollup still has a canvas that could be ruined with a knife while the hard tri-fold would just get scratched or dinged up with a knife or blunt object.

That's just my opinion I don't have experience with either one.

Someone mentioned here that they've had a tri-fold for 15 years. How long would a hard roll up last based on durability...? And in terms of vandalizing and theft... Would the hard tri-fold be more durable and harder to damage?

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is true, cover needs to be popped to close the tailgate. Technically you could probably go slowly and move the seal, but that would be way more work than popping it and shutting it again. I was mildly disappointed and got over it immediately - not a huge deal imo! The gate is super light, and so low that it isn't difficult to reach in with the gate just cracked a little. On a tall truck it would be much more annoying.
I'm giving serious thought of dropping the hard rollup from my order and going with the Sentry. I really like the canvas cover compared to the vinyl.

Any concerns with the fabric thus far?

Thanks for the pics and the follow-ups!

Sponsored

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
X2:
gloss finish
3 Year Warranty
Rubber at tailgate not covered (see pic)
View attachment 15319

X4S
Matt Finish, even on the aluminum
5 year Warranty
Hard plastic at tailgate (see pic)
Strap latch improved.
View attachment 15318
View attachment 15321

There are other differences. Just make sure you look at the X4S, not the X4.

The X4 is basically a matt finish version of the X2. The real improvement is the X4S.
I tried calling about the X4S and they don't have info on when available or price? Do you know more than the info I got calling? Thanks

TruBlu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Does anyone know a source to get a hard tri-fold tonneau (like VNZ6Z99501A42C) cover in Canada? I took delivery of my Maverick without the tonneau to speed things up. However, the dealer wants $1448+tax for one versus the $1000 it was as an add-on at factory.

The factory version would be nice, but I would be very happy with a BakFlip MX4, however the local aftermarket suppliers say they can't get them and they want $1500 when they are available.

I see BakFlips for $988US or less, shipped free in US but they won't ship to Canada. Tasca has the factory ones priced at $888US (plus expensive shipping though). I live in sight of the border, but can't cross at this time. Anyone have a source that can get a cover to me within a month and is reasonable on pricing and shipping? I would even take a Gator FX3 or Undercover Ultraflex if it was priced fair.

I am more than happy to install myself.

I have found after a couple weeks that I really need a cover.

pnorwood54

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XTL AWD-4K-FX4-360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm giving serious thought of dropping the hard rollup from my order and going with the Sentry. I really like the canvas cover compared to the vinyl.

Any concerns with the fabric thus far?

Thanks for the pics and the follow-ups!
It is great! We have had some rain and even snow the last 2 days. No water entry issues. I also expected that once dry it would show some light road dirt, but it doesn't at all. The plastic trim around the bed has the usual light dry dirt after the rain dried, but the sentry didn't show any dirt at all. Really happy with this choice so far!

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
Curious what everyone thinks between these two options. I’m in Ontario Canada and can get hit with some intense snowstorms and temperature shifts so I’ve heard people say going with a hard cover is preferred for durability.

What does everyone recommend between tri fold and hard roll up?
I live in Los Angeles and have a trifold on my full size but the Maverick is so low and I’m 6 foot I’m giving the roll up vinyl a chance. It might be easier to use. But with the snow in your area the hard cover seams to make sense.
Sponsored