Sponsored

Hard Roll-Up vs Tri-Fold Tonneau?

athens2au

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Maverick not listed on their site yet...
No but they can get it. They basically just drop ship straight from Bak. Just email them for a quote.
Sponsored

Patj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not really - profile, weight limit, quality, longevity all depend on the make. I went with Extang Exceed as it's way cheaper than factory (which is made by somebody else like BAK anyway, you're just paying for the mark-up), didn't hold the factory build up (happening now), sits totally flush, use with an Elevate ladder rack, has way less parts to screw up (roll up hook and loop are particularly bad), 2/3 open doesn't block any view, will last longer than any roll up. Soft tonneaus just do not last, they get trashed in no time at all, so figure you'll go through at least a few of them in the lifetime of a good hard trifold.
I looked up the Extang covers and they were not "way cheaper"...unless you have a good source, if so, please share a link :)

Patj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish their website showed a Maverick. The photos of other truck show the back window completely blocked.
That's how hard trifolds work. You can open the cover 2/3rds and lock it in position, or all the way open(minus the 4-6" front piece) and it sits up blocking the back window.
Was not an issue for me as little as I'll travel in that position. Also may be possible to turn rear camera on while driving(not sure.)
Most can easily be removed all the way by unscrewing the bolt/knob securing it to the bedrails.

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wish their website showed a Maverick. The photos of other truck show the back window completely blocked.
my MX4 cover

Ford Maverick Hard Roll-Up vs Tri-Fold Tonneau? IMG_20220319_133322070_HDR

Ford Maverick Hard Roll-Up vs Tri-Fold Tonneau? IMG_20220319_133224638_HDR

Ford Maverick Hard Roll-Up vs Tri-Fold Tonneau? IMG_20220319_133220606_HDR

Sponsored

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
I installed a Lomax cover on the Maverick for two reasons.

One, someone else on this forum installed the same one i purchased and found it to be waterproof even going through a high-pressure car wash.

I installed the cover and promptly drove to the car wash and low and behold, no leaks except at the tailgate where water blew in around the side gaps in the tailgate.

Second, it takes one person less than two minutes to remove and another two minutes to install again.

As for holding weight, that's why the truck bed is there, I'm sure those metal plate will handle camping gear, but I certainly wouldn't carry my washer and dryer on it, again that's what the bed is for, hauling heavy things.

Remember, two minutes on and two minutes off by one person.

You can also open and close the tailgate without lifting cover.

Looks Good Too

Ford Maverick Hard Roll-Up vs Tri-Fold Tonneau? IMG_1944.JPG

Patj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I installed a Lomax cover on the Maverick for two reasons.

One, someone else on this forum installed the same one i purchased and found it to be waterproof even going through a high-pressure car wash.

I installed the cover and promptly drove to the car wash and low and behold, no leaks except at the tailgate where water blew in around the side gaps in the tailgate.

Second, it takes one person less than two minutes to remove and another two minutes to install again.

As for holding weight, that's why the truck bed is there, I'm sure those metal plate will handle camping gear, but I certainly wouldn't carry my washer and dryer on it, again that's what the bed is for, hauling heavy things.

Remember, two minutes on and two minutes off by one person.

You can also open and close the tailgate without lifting cover.

Looks Good Too

IMG_1944.JPG
Excellent information - especially about removal/reinstall. Thank you! Which model did you buy - Matte Black, Black Urethane or Black Diamond Mist ?

Last edited:

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Excellent information - especially about removal/reinstall. Thank you! Which model did you buy - Matte Black, Black Urethane or Black Diamond Mist ?
Black Urethane

Sponsored

Kevin1987

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like my hard roll up.

IMG_20220507_193500.jpg

IMG_20220507_193315.jpg
This looks sweet rolled up with the Ford logo.. It also doesn't completely obstruct the back window, which I like. How well does it keep water out of the bed when it rains? (rains in my area a lot). I know most of them aren't completely waterproof but they definitely help.

Also, how easy is it to remove if you want to remove it completely for a specific job?

Thanks!

Happy Guy 823

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This looks sweet rolled up with the Ford logo.. It also doesn't completely obstruct the back window, which I like. How well does it keep water out of the bed when it rains? (rains in my area a lot). I know most of them aren't completely waterproof but they definitely help.

Also, how easy is it to remove if you want to remove it completely for a specific job?

Thanks!
Would not be easily removed. It is very water tight, only a small leak at the tailgate. We had some heavy rains here since I installed it.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's how hard trifolds work. You can open the cover 2/3rds and lock it in position, or all the way open(minus the 4-6" front piece) and it sits up blocking the back window.
Was not an issue for me as little as I'll travel in that position. Also may be possible to turn rear camera on while driving(not sure.)
Most can easily be removed all the way by unscrewing the bolt/knob securing it to the bedrails.
No "standard" way to turn on rear camera while driving forward. But honestly, having the back window blocked is no worse than it would be when towing a trailer. Use your side view mirrors, like you would when trailering.

Harry LBI

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Installed the rolling cover Bak X4S and full Bedrug this weekend. I had a Bak X2 on my Tundra and jad a few problems with it. After talking to Realtruck and watching Youtubes of the new X4S, I can see the improvements. I installed both myself and the longest action was removing all the tiedowns. Bedrug went in very easy and they supplied weather seals and plenty of velcro. The Bak X4S was also a quick install. Note, my bed was 1/4 wider at the tailgate vs behind the cab. I shimmed the rails 1/8 on each side and all was good. Thanks to Real truck as they provided a nice discount on both products!!

GRABBR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Aviator, 2008 Charger R/T
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Iā€™m close to getting this hard roll up. Have Ford Pass and Lincoln Way points to spend and there is a 15% discount going on now. If itā€™s hard to remove completely because itā€™s bolted to the side rails, Iā€™m thinking maybe I could find some wing nuts to replace the bolts, this making it easier to remove for use of entire bed. Thoughts?
Sponsored