Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Normal for cheaper tires. I have worked setting the machines that build those tires. Continental is a crappy tire. Michelin construction is better.
I think with tire production, like pretty much all other build processes, it comes down to the fact that you have three controllable factors:
  1. Quality
  2. Speed of manufacture
  3. Cost to build
You ge only pick two of those, or your goods are so expensive that you're priced out of the market.

Continental makes some excellent tires at the upper end of their product lines. Michelin seems to make good products in the middle of their line, but not so great at the upper end. Your mileage (and tire quality) may vary...
Sponsored

Joseph Cobbs

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang, Honda Type R, Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Maverick has the same "Crease or small linear dent in tire sidewall. My dealership said that it was just a small defect in the tire. No need to replace it.

T-Dog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I stopped by my local Ford Dealer. I noticed some significant warping on all four tires. The manager alleged, that due my driving it was my fault.

the evidence is sustained from the manager interpretation of the cause. There were no calibrated tools or measurements taken. Just some photos with an iPhone. It’s been three business days, and no response yet.

anyone else seen this before?

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2121.jpeg
I'm a former tire engineer. As stated in other posts, you have nothing to be concerned about. The area you refer to as warped in your pictures is actually where there is an overlap
I stopped by my local Ford Dealer. I noticed some significant warping on all four tires. The manager alleged, that due my driving it was my fault.

the evidence is sustained from the manager interpretation of the cause. There were no calibrated tools or measurements taken. Just some photos with an iPhone. It’s been three business days, and no response yet.

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2121.jpeg
I am a former tire engineer. The condition is actually where the radial ply overlaps. Contrary to what appears as a defect, is actually the strongest portion of the sidewall. Your dealer needs to educate themselves about tires. Shocked that they blamed you. SMH.

Bobby Chapman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2121.jpeg
Mine are like yours not as bad, some one on the website said it was from the straps on the cargo train , do not think so ,it is because they are single ply sidewall tires . I have always disliked them and will be changing them out when I get new rims fro. Discount Tire in November. Diffently not the way we drive..

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Engine
Undecided

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2121.jpeg
Sorry I'm late to the conversation. I know your question has been answered, but radial indentations are prevalent in the vast majority of radial tires. Some are just more noticeable than others. Completely normal condition. That being said, if the indentation is severe, it can be adjusted by the manufacturer on a prorated basis, but not many folks are gonna go through that hassle.

Sponsored

Ford Fanatic

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT.....2022 F-150...2022 Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Dealer...Conway Ford in Conway, S.C. replaced all 4 Continentals on my Maverick with 4 new Goodyears at 700 miles...the tire sidewalls had indentions in them...I didn't like it, he replaced them.

lagrene

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2121.jpeg
In my experience problems with tires are dealt with at the appropriate tire dealer. A Continental tire dealer in this case.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm a former tire engineer. As stated in other posts, you have nothing to be concerned about. The area you refer to as warped in your pictures is actually where there is an overlap

I am a former tire engineer. The condition is actually where the radial ply overlaps. Contrary to what appears as a defect, is actually the strongest portion of the sidewall. Your dealer needs to educate themselves about tires. Shocked that they blamed you. SMH.
Sorry, I have to disagree. I worked in a tire plant too, in QC. Assuming that these indentations are not due to broken tread plies, it is where the tire was mis-built to incorrectly overlap the plies, that means that while yes, they are technically stronger in this small area, but they also run hotter and cause the tread in that part of the tire to squirm when it shouldn't, leading to premature failure. If you designed or built tires like that, I'm glad I do not use them.

Srm1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Spend 30 years working on tires in the field. Never had an issue with overlap. T-Dog 100% correct.

Sponsored

Mightybeast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2121.jpeg
Funny thing I have the same thing on my tires. Originally I thought they were overinflated, since Ford up was showing 42 psi on delivery. But after dilation they remained the same.

Maverick Grabber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chrysler 200, 2022 Maverick XLT Red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a nail in the sidewall at 1000 miles had to get the same to match treads and the dealer told me to expect to replace them all about 35,000. When the time comes I'm going with Bridgestone Ecopias

IGNIGNXKT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Happens here in phoenix with the heat. Usually happens on cheaper grade tires. Regardless, as others said, not dangerous. You get what you pay for. These aren’t made for looks or performance. Likely as thin and cheap as possible to simply get you to be on your way. Like most if not all stock tires on a new car, they’re not exactly designed to last as long or to be as nice in general as tires off the rack.

dhill59

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2014 MX5 Club
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is “normal” for radial tires. The old bias ply tires did not do this. Just go to a parking lot, look at the tires on all the vehicles. Every make of radial tires will have it, some more pronounced than others…
I beg to differ. My wife's Honda has Michelin's - zero dents and my Miata has Bridgestone's - zero dents. The Maverick with Continental's is batting 1000. All four have multiple dents each.

Lou'sBluMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Colorado(sold Oct) 2018 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@T-Dog is correct. Tires are built up in layers on a cylindrical form. The indentation is caused by a too heavy splice of the carcass layer, thus it is stronger, and on inflation is more constrained. There should be no more than one sidewall indentation (at the same place on both sides) per carcass ply.
However, IT IS a cosmetic defect, and at this degree should be sold as a blem. The tolerance for the amount of deflection before being blemed or scrapped varies among manufacturers. You can go thru a parking lot and get an idea of which brands have better manufacturing control.
You should go to the tire dealer for this kind of problem, use the car dealer as a last resort ( they barely know anything about cars, and almost nothing about tires).
Sponsored