Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Ford Maverick and some motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Judging by the boomer energy running rampant in this forum I'd say you're right.
Sponsored

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Rather than "missed the target age" I'd say maybe they underestimated the popularity it would find in other age groups. Some of us, myself included, find they don't need the bigger trucks anymore.
Same here. First brand-new truck I ever bought was a 1988 Ford Ranger....and had a 70's era Toyota Hilux pickup before that. Moved up to a "mid-size" Tacoma and then full size from then on for the last 15+ years. I'm more than ready to move back down again to compact trucks. Actually, the dimensions on the 2002 Double Cab Toyota Tacoma are pretty much exactly the same as the Maverick. Hell, even my "full-size" Chevy Silverado is now more of a mid-size truck by today's standards.

Mike6564

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda CX5
Same here. First brand-new truck I ever bought was a 1988 Ford Ranger....and had a 70's era Toyota Hilux pickup before that. Moved up to a "mid-size" Tacoma and then full size from then on for the last 15+ years. I'm more than ready to move back down again to compact trucks. Actually, the dimensions on the 2002 Double Cab Toyota Tacoma are pretty much exactly the same as the Maverick. Hell, even my "full-size" Chevy Silverado is now more of a mid-size truck by today's standards.
Sold my 98 ford ranger xlt 4x4 with tow. Had 98 k on the spedo.. Had for 15 yrs. Miss the truck but time to move on.

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would say most of the target demo (people in their 20s, non-truck buyers) wouldn't join a forum like this one when they have reddit and facebook groups. That's why we see more people here that are out of that demographic. Forums tend to skew towards older people. I'm 42, btw.

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At this point Ford is operating under the ā€œif we show it, they will comeā€ approach. Iā€™ll be dammed if it isnā€™t working, Ford doesnā€™t even need to build anything to get us to line up.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
I would say most of the target demo (people in their 20s, non-truck buyers) wouldn't join a forum like this one when they have reddit and facebook groups. That's why we see more people here that are out of that demographic. Forums tend to skew towards older people. I'm 42, btw.
Exactly, Ford didn't miss the target audience at all. The article I posted states that younger buyers for the Mav are DOUBLE the industry average! That's impressive IMO and I'm sure other automobile manufactures are going to try and replicate it.

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you are wrong.

Ford says the 2022 Maverick ā€“ about the length of a Toyota full-size sedan but far cheaper ā€“ is already succeeding in attracting new, younger and female buyers to the company.

About a quarter of buyers are female compared to nearly 90% being male for the overall truck market, Ford said.

A quarter also are between the ages of 18 and 35 ā€“ double the industry average for that age group.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/06/for...le-buyers-with-new-20000-maverick-pickup.html
Excellent point. I drive a 150, my wife loves her little Fiesta. I showed her the Maverick Pics July first and she said ā€œI want itā€ and I ordered it July 2nd. Itā€™s in production as of today. I see another Christmas Present under the tree for her;)

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The appeal of this truck is very broad. People young or old who need an inexpensive new vehicle. People that want an efficient, environmentally friendly vehicle (hybrid) or a good performing vehicle that is still fairly efficient (ecoboost). People who want a practical vehicle (pickup bed). People who want a fairly comfortable daily driver with decent handling (unibody). People who want a kid hauler (4 door). People who want to do light towing (4k pack) or off roading (fx4 or awd pack). DIY-ers (flexbed). City drivers who want a truck but not full size because of traffic congestion (compact). Rural drivers who don't need a full sized truck but want the functionality,

Ford has provided features and packages that should appeal to a lot of people regardless of age. It's especially impressive that they managed to appeal to two almost diametrically opposed groups with the choice between hybrid economy or ecoboost performance.

Yeah, young car buyers are a target demographic but at the end of the day the mix of features is clearly getting a lot of people's attention. It certainly got mine.

Sponsored

Vince30

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Ford Maverick and some motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

They are too busy playing with their fidget spinners and dabbing smh my head

That is a good point though. I was big into the e30 forums from 2007 until a few years later. Now I stick to discord and reddit, but this page is definitely the most active on maverick updates so it's the first forum I've posted on in 8 years or so. My dad however is all about posting on forums šŸ˜…

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The appeal of this truck is very broad. People young or old who need an inexpensive new vehicle. People that want an efficient, environmentally friendly vehicle (hybrid) or a good performing vehicle that is still fairly efficient (ecoboost). People who want a practical vehicle (pickup bed). People who want a fairly comfortable daily driver with decent handling (unibody). People who want a kid hauler (4 door). People who want to do light towing (4k pack) or off roading (fx4 or awd pack). DIY-ers (flexbed). City drivers who want a truck but not full size because of traffic congestion (compact). Rural drivers who don't need a full sized truck but want the functionality,

Ford has provided features and packages that should appeal to a lot of people regardless of age. It's especially impressive that they managed to appeal to two almost diametrically opposed groups with the choice between hybrid economy or ecoboost performance.

Yeah, young car buyers are a target demographic but at the end of the day the mix of features is clearly getting a lot of people's attention. It certainly got mine.
I agree completely, also Ford no longer makes 'cars' so the Maverick will replace a good sized sedan, it is economical in both cost & MPG, is will replace everything except someone who needs to haul large implements or wants a 500hp sports car.

Pelster94

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Iā€™m beginning to believe Ford missed the target age for the new Maverick. Teens look take a second look. And daily I get people in their 60ā€™s checking it out, asking questions, say they are looking to get one, even had one take a video. I myself am 54-3 weeks.
This is the perfect vehicle for people like me, and I believe I am their marketing's target audience. I'm 25, never in a million years would I think I could afford a brand new vehicle with the utility I'm looking for. The maverick is exactly what I need. However, most people my age, unless they are car enthusiasts, aren't on forums for new vehicles, and will probably wait until they can see some on lots before making a serious purchase decision. I think Ford made a calculated decision to market to people like me because they need to to catch our attention, and they thought they would sell enough to other demographics w/o the marketing.

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have one on order. I am 51. My son, who is 24 and drives a 2014 BMW 3 series is selling his car an placing an order for one too. So... I think age is irrelevant.

Ford is targeting first time truck owners. That is EXACTLY what I am. I had no interest in a 15MPG truck. I have GREAT interest in a 45MPH truck with price/value unequalled by any vehicle currently on the market.
Sponsored