First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m beginning to believe Ford missed the target age for the new Maverick. Teens look take a second look. And daily I get people in their 60’s checking it out, asking questions, say they are looking to get one, even had one take a video. I myself am 54-3 weeks.
Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think that they target an age to advertise to. I think the older generation will not be swayed by advertising. However, if they advertised to an older generation, it probably wouldn't sway them, but might make the car less appealing to the young 'ens. I hope that makes sense.

I hear you though. I keep thinking this would be GREAT for my older gardening mom. Easy step in height. Manageable driving size. Enough bed for plants. Affordable. I just think that the people that buy it for those reasons don't give a darn about tv ads.

Wizard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 cactus grey Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’m beginning to believe Ford missed the target age for the new Maverick. Teens look take a second look. And daily I get people in their 60’s checking it out, asking questions, say they are looking to get one, even had one take a video. I myself am 54-3 weeks.
I'm 64 and have a hybrid XLT on order. I currently have a 2010 Ford XLT that I drive getting 13 to 14.5 mpg and it's getting hard to get my fat ass up into the bed area when I need to. I have ordered the Maverick because of the good gas mileage and ease of reaching into the bed from the outside. I like to travel and feel I will do more of that with the better gas mileage.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
I think you are wrong.

Ford says the 2022 Maverick – about the length of a Toyota full-size sedan but far cheaper – is already succeeding in attracting new, younger and female buyers to the company.

About a quarter of buyers are female compared to nearly 90% being male for the overall truck market, Ford said.

A quarter also are between the ages of 18 and 35 – double the industry average for that age group.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/06/for...le-buyers-with-new-20000-maverick-pickup.html

Sponsored

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I don't know that they necessarily knew their target audience exactly, lots of first time truck buyers and an usually large amount of female buyers.

I know the intended target was the sort of yuppy millennial crowd going off to college and the city to start their lives. But I imagine there was a lot of back and forth at ford and focus groups upon focus groups where they essentially pander to everyone but f150 buyers.

lurch70

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW 330xi, 2019 Volvo XC60
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the same thing that happened when the Mini Cooper came out 20 years ago ... was totally targeted at young buyers marketing wise but majority of people that bought it were 40+ at the time.

jbpoole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Engine
Undecided
I agree. The hybrid is the perfect vehicle for older folks. Inexpensive, compared to just about anything on the market. Super gas mileage. Low maintenance. Great safety features, especially with the 360 option. I suspect that many will happily spend $25k of disposable funds for a vehicle that they don't really need, but just want. Spending $50-75k for a "fun vehicle" is hard to justify.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can sell an old person a young person's car, but you cannot sell a young person an old person's car. Ford will be more than happy to sell a Maverick to anyone that likes it, regardless of age.
This is very true. And not just for Ford.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can sell an old person a young person's car, but you cannot sell a young person an old person's car. Ford will be more than happy to sell a Maverick to anyone that likes it, regardless of age.
Exactly.

Sponsored

UncleDuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fusion
I am 68, a Ford retiree, do most of my driving around town. So a Hybrid makes a lot of sense for me. Plus being easier to get in and out of. Don't know for sure but this could be my last new vehicle, so I have a FE Hybrid will all the bells and whistles ordered.

Mike6564

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda CX5
Rather than "missed the target age" I'd say maybe they underestimated the popularity it would find in other age groups. Some of us, myself included, find they don't need the bigger trucks anymore.
I'm 77 hybrid build just waiting now. Easy in and out for me and my wife. Sell plants bed is right size and again easy in and out. Plus will be paid for.. Hope to get a few years of enjoyment out of my truck before they yank my drivers licence. Lol

Phil Skinn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion Titanium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am 68, a Ford retiree, do most of my driving around town. So a Hybrid makes a lot of sense for me. Plus being easier to get in and out of. Don't know for sure but this could be my last new vehicle, so I have a FE Hybrid will all the bells and whistles ordered.
Same here. 72 year old Ford retiree. Got an acre of yard and rental property to maintain. Travel back and forth to Florida and liked the gas mileage on the Hybrid. Went to the dealer looking for an Escape and ordered a Mav.

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm 65, I look at crops, orchards for a living will probably put on 40K a year mainly on rough dirt roads. Nice ride, nice gas mileage. I haven't had a ford since 88, it was a piece of cr^p. I've ridden in smallish pickups before, they all rode bad with mediocre gas mileage. Ordering a Lariat, winter is my slower season so no problem waiting I guess.
Sponsored