Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2009 Porsche Cayman
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dang man, there’s 2 choices in life:
1: if you’re stressed, remove the stress and get another vehicle. They all have recalls by the way.
2: from stress management training when I was deployed to Iraq: EVERYONE CATASTROPHISES! You just need to move on to step 2 and realize that it is more likely that the worst case scenario WILL NOT HAPPEN. Also, get Triple A for car worries regardless of vehicle.
Sponsored

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm also on a forum for RAV4's. Had I listened to all the problems on there in the last 7 years, I wouldn't have the car. As it is, NONE of the problems talked about have affected mine. In fact, I'm keeping it for when all the dire warnings on this forum come true, and my Maverick goes belly-up. :crackup:

Last edited:

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a $500 car, and I loved it. I'd love it even more in my adulthood if I had $40K to go spend on a top of the line VW GTI, preferably with a manual transmission, to use as my occasional "fun ride." However, I did go out and test drive one for shits and giggles. I spent 15 minutes behind the wheel before smiling a big shit-eating grin and saying to the salesman, "I'm going to end up getting arrested if I buy this." So yeah. I'm sticking with the Maverick.

For what it's worth OneAlienBoi, aside from a few weird radio glitches and phantom warning systems going off, I have no complaints about my EB Maverick XL. It's simple, no muss, no fuss. So we've had some recalls...BFD. Do some of us bitch about our Mavericks? Yeah, we do. But what unites us all is that we willingly agreed to buy a first year model vehicle, so that automatically makes every person on this forum slightly mental in their own special way. We don't need drugs. We don't need psychology. We all have one another.

Band of Brothers, man. You should watch it.

I'm sticking with
Ford Maverick Thinking about giving up 1000009362

LittleTrucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick XLT Hybrid Lux A51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm just having doubts lately. To put it into perspective, our maverick hybrid has been great for the last 18 months/10k miles, we love it. It's been flawless aside from some touchy brakes, and it doing the hybrid shudder a few times, both issues which have seemed to go away permanently after doing the relevant software updates.

But I have to say, seeing all the issues on the forums is starting to get to me. It doesn't help that my brother, who's a psychologist, says I'm very bad at what's known as catastrophizing. That's basically my brain running through worst case scenarios 24/7 and convincing myself they're gonna happen.

So I'm kind of at this crossroads, where my truck is basically perfectly reliable, and enjoyable to own aside from all the recall notices. Yet I'm becoming increasingly concerned that "any day now" I'm gonna have axle issues, or my truck is gonna die in traffic, or catch on fire. I want to go to my dealership and get the software updates done that were just discussed today to prevent the issue with mavericks randomly dying, but I'm worried those software updates will cause other issues, which seems to be the case with some owners.

I don't want to get rid of a truck that's been great to us. But at the same time, I'm tired of stressing over all the could happens. What would you do if you were me? Keep it, sell it, wait to see if it has issues?
Dude! I could have written this, word-for-word!

If your Mav is also Area 51, I'm gonna freak.

Sponsored

LittleTrucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick XLT Hybrid Lux A51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had two VWs...never again, although I really did love my POS Golf that I bought for $500 while in college. The Sirocco I had was a COMPLETE POS and only ran when it wanted to. I ended up abandoning it in the yard of the person I bought it from.

And yes, it could be worse. You could be driving a Yugo.
Anytime someone I know buys a VW, I always have to fake being excited for them. I don't have the heart to tell them their new ride has doomed them to electrical issue hell.

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had two VWs...never again, although I really did love my POS Golf that I bought for $500 while in college. The Sirocco I had was a COMPLETE POS and only ran when it wanted to. I ended up abandoning it in the yard of the person I bought it from.

And yes, it could be worse. You could be driving a Yugo.
Full disclosure, the GTI is what I found waiting for my hybrid after the Fusion water pump fiasco (labor, not parts).
Like them both a lot for their applications.
Now the Yugo joke: this is a very, very quiet car, because your knees flex right up into your ears when you sit down...

Sponsored

merlin101

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm just having doubts lately. To put it into perspective, our maverick hybrid has been great for the last 18 months/10k miles, we love it. It's been flawless aside from some touchy brakes, and it doing the hybrid shudder a few times, both issues which have seemed to go away permanently after doing the relevant software updates.

But I have to say, seeing all the issues on the forums is starting to get to me. It doesn't help that my brother, who's a psychologist, says I'm very bad at what's known as catastrophizing. That's basically my brain running through worst case scenarios 24/7 and convincing myself they're gonna happen.

So I'm kind of at this crossroads, where my truck is basically perfectly reliable, and enjoyable to own aside from all the recall notices. Yet I'm becoming increasingly concerned that "any day now" I'm gonna have axle issues, or my truck is gonna die in traffic, or catch on fire. I want to go to my dealership and get the software updates done that were just discussed today to prevent the issue with mavericks randomly dying, but I'm worried those software updates will cause other issues, which seems to be the case with some owners.

I don't want to get rid of a truck that's been great to us. But at the same time, I'm tired of stressing over all the could happens. What would you do if you were me? Keep it, sell it, wait to see if it has issues?
Not sure if it's already been said one way or another, but this is very important to remember:

This forum and the posts on it are not an accurate basis upon which to judge the real reliability of the vehicle, BY THEMSELVES. You have to realize that people with issues are SUBSTANTIALLY more likely to make threads or respond with their responses. People for whom everything is working mostly fine? They have nothing to post about, typically (at least not in regards to reliability). So you end up with a VASTLY overstated representation of problems.

Statistically this is an issue with over representation bias in a sample set, where your sample set is the forum posts. So you're getting an anecdotally negative sense of the vehicle.

Comparing against the totality of the information out there, the vehicle (both hybrid and EB) seem to be overall pretty reliable. And importantly, unlike many here, I don't view all the recalls as a negative overall. In past eras manufacturers tried to hide shit and pretend problems didn't exist. Now we have Ford trying to resolve as many things as possible before their hand is being forced on it. I think that's generally good. And realistically MANY similar vehicles actually have had similar or even MORE recalls in similar spans of time for the first few years of a design (I think GM and Nissan trucks have had even more recalls on some of their trucks, for example).

If your truck is good, it's good. Other people with issues doesn't have to mean anything for you. Eventually SOMETHING happens to every vehicle, but enjoy yours if it's good while it's good!

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have to realize that people with issues are SUBSTANTIALLY more likely to make threads or respond with their responses. People for whom everything is working mostly fine? They have nothing to post about, typically (at least not in regards to reliability). So you end up with a VASTLY overstated representation of problems.
This^

I’ve lost count at the number of times someone posts a thread to complain about their problems and I see that they just registered to the forum and it’s their first, and sometimes their last, post.

Problems with your vehicle suck and I truly sympathize with anyone having problems. That being said, I must be wired different than others. If I’m having a problem, I’m working with my dealer to get it fixed. If my problem doesn’t get resolved, I get rid of my problem and move on. The LAST thing on my mind is finding somewhere on the internet to vent. Like I said, I must be different.

That‘s not to say that people don’t have the right to join the forum and bitch. Knock yourself out. I personally pay more attention to those that have been around awhile, like the OP, and have actually contributed to the forum with more than complaining.

Shelbyv8

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Grand Caravan, 2002 Ranger xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do take Zoloft everyday. I have absolutely no problems with my Maverick and I only have 2 recalls. I have not done the recalls. I still know how to check my light bulbs. I believe the only feature the Maverick is missing is a syrup dispenser. Then the whiny wusses could put syrup on their socks to keep the 🐜 off their candy a$$.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't do it!
Sponsored