Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 3500 Diesel, 2011 Xterra Pro-4x
Engine
Undecided
Hi,

So, I'm supposed to meet with the local dealer Monday to order a new Maverick. They won't say anything about how long that might take, but I have the impression browsing the forum here it could be up to a year. :-( If I decide to go forward I need to decide options. Budget tops out at $35k, less is better.

I have a vehicle for Jeep Trails, I say Xterra Trails but no one knows what I mean. :) I don't see the Maverick as a true trail vehicle. It doesn't have the angles of approach and departure needed for the area (San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado). So, what I want is a good driving vehicle to use as a daily driver, including winter conditions and paved mountain passes in the winter. Towing capability would be a plus, and of course it needs to be a truck as I carry fuel for the mower, loads to the dump, and pick-up from various suppliers on a reasonably regular basis.

I think the Maverick looks great on paper, with the Flex Bed, and I love all the great reviews, inexpensive entry price and great fuel economy.

So, again on paper, can't even find a Maverick to look at... never seen one... I'm thinking an XLT w/AWD and that means the ecoboost engine and I would add the 4k tow package. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice, but do have these specific questions:

1. With the basic AWD would it be worth adding FX4 for the drive modes? What do the drive modes do for winter conditions?

2. Which has better ride feel on rougher roads (we have our share): AWD w/o FX4, AWD w/FX4, or I'm reading maybe Tremor with advanced AWD is the best.... but loss of fuel economy, loss of tow capacity and price might be limiting for me.

Thanks,

Jan
Sponsored

TrailMaster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Ranger XLT 4L, Honda Valkyries (2)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered exactly what you're considering, and shied away from The Tremor for the same reasons and the additional cost.

That said, I can see myself looking into lifting it a bit to take better advantage of our backyard. I still have an old Ranger that's better suited to beating up than to travelling.

Remember to avoid the splash guards! 🤐

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No eco mode on fx4.. Although others have opened this up using forescan. If you have another trail vehicle I would omit it. XLT with tow package great choice. Increased cooling lower gear ratio. Though I do like the front tow hooks on that package.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You need AWD for either and if you order and FX4 now you HAVE to get the towing package.

I have an xlt FX4 with tow package. FX4 doesn't really add much in terms of hardware and driving capability over the towing pack. The towing pack includes the upgraded radiator and fan and a transmission cooler. I honestly got it just because I liked the wheels. Mine rides well on road. Haven't had reason to go off road and it hasn't snowed significantly since I got it.

I don't think the FX4 drive modes add much and you sacrifice eco and sport mode which are the two modes I would have actually used. The regular slippery mode seems to work well - there are you tube videos of people testing them. It's a pretty standard AWD package and reasonably capable for what it is. The mav is not really an off road vehicle no matter what package you get. Skid plates are nice but probably not necessary.

If I had to do it over again I'd skip FX4.

OP
OP

Twisties

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I don't see any mention of any driving modes with just AWD and no FX4 or Tremor? It would be 2024, I guess. Don't believe you can order a 2023 at this point.

Sponsored

TrailMaster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Ranger XLT 4L, Honda Valkyries (2)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No eco mode on fx4.. Although others have opened this up using forescan. If you have another trail vehicle I would omit it. XLT with tow package great choice. Increased cooling lower gear ratio. Though I do like the front tow hooks on that package.
I'll definitely figure out ForScan well enough to get all the drive modes and sign recognition up and running. Thought I'd read you can enable seven drive modes. I don't look forward to the learning curve, but I've heard it's not too difficult if you pay attention and always make a backup. And I am one determined nerd! 🤓

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OP, how much stuff do you take to the dump with a truck, and what kind of supplies are you moving? I do take loads of yard waste, and some soil sometimes, but if you have anything other than smallish loads you'll find the bed of the Maverick a little restrictive. Not to mention it will start squatting a lot after 400-500 pounds of load in the bed. If you are just taking your own stuff once or month or something it's fine, but I wouldn't load it up daily for heavy loads to the dump. If that is what you need, you want a body on frame truck.

OP
OP

Twisties

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
The dump run is occasional and just our own stuff. Usually recycling. Sometimes some construction debris if we are doing some sort of home improvement project. Supplies would be home improvement materials or maybe an appliance or such like that. We understand it's not the Ram we are selling, with it's 4500 lbs payload and 20000 lbs tow capacity.... we don't need that anymore. A mid size would be a little better for that, but I think Maverick will do for our needs. Supposed to be able to haul 1000 lbs, I guess, with the two of us and 1500 lbs payload.

2023AWD

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 35k will get you a nice maverick. I’m poor, so I got a XL. The only options I wanted were 4k towing, AWD and eco boost. Of course, they are all tied together. Mine is a 2023 and it was 27.3k, plus tax/tag/etc….
Ford Maverick Thinking about ordering a new Maverick...  Lots of ?'s 2B96AE39-F4B2-4E0D-B30B-7EF6B841FA92

Sponsored
OP
OP

Twisties

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
The 35k will get you a nice maverick. I’m poor, so I got a XL. The only options I wanted were 4k towing, AWD and eco boost. Of course, they are all tied together. Mine is a 2023 and it was 27.3k, plus tax/tag/etc….
2B96AE39-F4B2-4E0D-B30B-7EF6B841FA92.jpeg
Love the color! Sweet truck.

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2B96AE39-F4B2-4E0D-B30B-7EF6B841FA92.jpeg
Your build is a real boon for a budget minded driver who needs a capable truck. I am so glad that Ford was able to build a few!

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't see any mention of any driving modes with just AWD and no FX4 or Tremor? It would be 2024, I guess. Don't believe you can order a 2023 at this point.
This is an XL AWD (no other factory options)only 1700 miles on it. I have never had it in the snow lol. It does great in 115+ temp. Love it so far, but my Hybrid was built and shipped, expect delivery any day now. I hate to see this go as a trade in, but Hybrid was the plan from the beginning.
If anyone is interested in it, please pm me.

Ford Maverick Thinking about ordering a new Maverick...  Lots of ?'s 20230707_155029_resized[3696]

Ford Maverick Thinking about ordering a new Maverick...  Lots of ?'s 20230819_151101_resized

Last edited:

prsncat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT EB AWD BAP CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If your budget is up to $35K, I would go with:
  • XLT Ecoboost AWD
  • XLT Luxury Package to get the heated seats, mirrors, and steering wheel (since you are talking about mountain/snow daily driving).
  • 4K Tow Package
  • CP360 Package
The as-configured price with delivery is $33,800.

OP
OP

Twisties

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
If your budget is up to $35K, I would go with:
  • XLT Ecoboost AWD
  • XLT Luxury Package to get the heated seats, mirrors, and steering wheel (since you are talking about mountain/snow daily driving).
  • 4K Tow Package
  • CP360 Package
The as-configured price with delivery is $33,800.
That sounds perfect.
Sponsored