First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm just having doubts lately. To put it into perspective, our maverick hybrid has been great for the last 18 months/10k miles, we love it. It's been flawless aside from some touchy brakes, and it doing the hybrid shudder a few times, both issues which have seemed to go away permanently after doing the relevant software updates.

But I have to say, seeing all the issues on the forums is starting to get to me. It doesn't help that my brother, who's a psychologist, says I'm very bad at what's known as catastrophizing. That's basically my brain running through worst case scenarios 24/7 and convincing myself they're gonna happen.

So I'm kind of at this crossroads, where my truck is basically perfectly reliable, and enjoyable to own aside from all the recall notices. Yet I'm becoming increasingly concerned that "any day now" I'm gonna have axle issues, or my truck is gonna die in traffic, or catch on fire. I want to go to my dealership and get the software updates done that were just discussed today to prevent the issue with mavericks randomly dying, but I'm worried those software updates will cause other issues, which seems to be the case with some owners.

I don't want to get rid of a truck that's been great to us. But at the same time, I'm tired of stressing over all the could happens. What would you do if you were me? Keep it, sell it, wait to see if it has issues?
Sponsored

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep the truck and stay off the forum.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm just having doubts lately. To put it into perspective, our maverick hybrid has been great for the last 18 months/10k miles, we love it. It's been flawless aside from some touchy brakes, and it doing the hybrid shudder a few times, both issues which have seemed to go away permanently after doing the relevant software updates.

But I have to say, seeing all the issues on the forums is starting to get to me. It doesn't help that my brother, who's a psychologist, says I'm very bad at what's known as catastrophizing. That's basically my brain running through worst case scenarios 24/7 and convincing myself they're gonna happen.

So I'm kind of at this crossroads, where my truck is basically perfectly reliable, and enjoyable to own aside from all the recall notices. Yet I'm becoming increasingly concerned that "any day now" I'm gonna have axle issues, or my truck is gonna die in traffic, or catch on fire. I want to go to my dealership and get the software updates done that were just discussed today to prevent the issue with mavericks randomly dying, but I'm worried those software updates will cause other issues, which seems to be the case with some owners.

I don't want to get rid of a truck that's been great to us. But at the same time, I'm tired of stressing over all the could happens. What would you do if you were me? Keep it, sell it, wait to see if it has issues?
One of our beloved forum member uses magic mushrooms, give it a try.

AF Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Will you give up on life just because you know you are going to die anyway?
Or do you just keep on living until you can't/don't?

Keep living. Keep the Maverick that is not giving you problems..

Sponsored

SpaceCowboy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Cactus Gray
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably should start on Zoloft.
  • Initial dose: 50 mg PO a Day
  • May increase by 25 mg at weekly intervals; not to exceed 200 mg a Day

PB3

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry LE Toyota Corolla SE MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Do what helps you sleep at night and relieves stress. Medications as suggested are not always needed or the answer.

OP
OP
OneAlienBoi

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd like to thank all of you for your advice, I agree with basically everything you've been saying. I think I just need to try and have some perspective. Both the Ecoboost and hybrid mavericks in broader studies seem to score well in terms of reliability.

I suppose one way to look at it, with how many mavericks they've made at this point, even if it was just 1% of owners having issues, that would still be thousands of people complaining, and a lot of those people flock to forums to discuss their issues. I think I just need to remind myself that while what they're going through is unfortunate, it doesn't represent the other 99% of owners experiences.

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
" I'm very bad at what's known as catastrophizing. That's basically my brain running through worst case scenarios 24/7 "

OP, you would have made a great military aviator. We stayed alive by doing exactly what you're doing. Anticipate and prepare for problems. Optimistic aviators die young.

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wonder what your brother feels about the assertion “no one likes a quitter”.

Best suggestion viewed so far is ‘stay off forums’.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Do an experiment buy a $500 piece of garbage vehicle, drive it for a week. Then go drive your Maverick once. You will feel like you are driving the pinnacle of automotive excellence after that.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While staying off this forum might be good advice in this particular issue it doesn't address the underlying causes. I don't advocate automatic medication advice either since you seem to be otherwise fully functional.
IMHO you need help learning coping mechanisms. Speak with your brother, not for treatment but for a referral to a trusted colleague and try out a few sessions and reevaluate.
Sponsored