First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 Dodge M37, ‘14 VW JettaTDI, ‘22 Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What the OP posted is exactly what my dealer told me also, it’s the only way to keep a vehicle on the showroom floor. Not a lot of people (crazy Maverick people not included) won’t buy a car sight unseen. So if they keep one vehicle but getting them 3 customer orders after seeing one is worth it.
Back in the day that is what Demo vehicles were… Saleman got to drive them and demo them to potential customers… now every car on the lot is a demo.

During my process I came across a couple salesman owned Mavericks and only wanted to sit in it to see if my 6’7” self would fit (Since I have a 100 mile each way commute to work ) and be comfortable…. And the salesman wouldn’t even let me sit in one. Craziness…

needless to say they didn’t get my $30k either.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Bob

Big Bob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 Dodge M37, ‘14 VW JettaTDI, ‘22 Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This was a Sheehy dealership? Oh Lord.
Yes, Sheehy of Gaithersburg!

Here is what I got from Sheehy of Richmond earlier this week before I drove there…

”I you purchase a maverick off the lot it will be above sticker price. If you purchase one that you ordered it will be MSRP.”

So what difference does that make?

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Back in the day that is what Demo vehicles were… Saleman go to drive them and demo them to potential customers… now every car on the lot is a demo.

During my process I came across a couple salesman owned Mavericks and only wanted to sit in it to see if my 6’7” self would fit (Since I have a 100 mile each way commute to work ) and be comfortable…. And the salesman wouldn’t even let me sit in one. Craziness…

I know some dealerships have Broncos as mannikins for the purpose as a demo that can’t be sold for a certain period of time.

I guess dealerships don’t get a Maverick mannikin.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, Sheehy of Gaithersburg!

Here is what I got from Sheehy of Richmond earlier this week before I drove there…

”I you purchase a maverick off the lot it will be above sticker price. If you purchase one that you ordered it will be MSRP.”

So what difference does that make?
I canceled my order with Sheehy Ford in Alexandria, VA. I've been trying to get my $100 deposit back, glad I canceled.

Sponsored

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After my Maverick delivery being delayed yet another time… from the original 12/20 date to 1/26…

I finally found a Maverick near work that was being delivered this morning and it wasn’t spoken for…

So I was going to buy it on the spot, before it was even unloaded from the carrier….

Well until the salesman said their dealership policy doesn’t remove any of their market driven mark up price…

So I got up and walked out.

Only to have the General Manager call back…. Guess what he said?

“they mark it up so that no one will buy it because they need it for customers to look at!”

What’s up with this modern day car shopping? I need a vehicle because my car finally died and the Mrs. car was totaled in an accident…

Only to have the dealer not want my $30,000 because he needs to have a vehicle for people to look at… SMH

Oh and they also had a couple Mustangs there with a $20,000 add on too.

3BCE4126-6D11-4410-A394-D2F4F532E0E3.jpeg
I call it BS because my local dealers (yes more than one) sold theirs as soon as they got them in. No Maverick available to look at. Why delay making a profit just to keep it on display. Anyone in business knows you don't hold inventory if there's profit to be had.

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's ALL ABOUT THE "M"! There is no good dealers out there, because they see an opportunity and they take it for all it's worth. Supply and Demand!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One of the salesman said similar to me. He was saying oh someone paid 80k for that bronco in the lobby but we cant release to him until february because they have to have one on the floor.

I still walked out. Like fuck all that.
I beleive this is actually true. Everyone knows the scarcity of Broncos and big delays, especially the 4 doors. My dealer received a 4 door a couple months back that was sitting out on the lot visible from the street. I drive by there often and pop in to discuss all things Maverick. I noticed the new Bronco on 1 such visit and he said it was for demos and Ford won't let them actually sell it for 7 months. No reason to doubt this.

Spike

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A couple of my local dealers call them 'mannequins'. The Ford dealer in my town has two Bronco mannequins that have been there for about 6 months and have a $20k markup on them and I've been told they DON'T want to sell them because it costs them more in lost sales when people can't test drive one to order.

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
If they wanted to keep a vehicle on the lot for customers to look at, they wouldn't have it listed for sale. Salesmen and dealership employees can make all the excuses they want but the only people making the extra money at the end of the day are the salesmen.

There aren't markups because of a shortage of supplies to build vehicles. If that was the case, Ford would raise the MSRP. Lots of dealerships use the chip shortage excuse.

I say any dealer that does a markup should be left multiple lengthy bad reviews on yelp, google, etc warning potential customers of their corrupt practices. Sure you can complain to the general manager but they would just laugh while reading your letter with their feet up on their desk. You have to hurt their money, not their feelings.
What do you even mean there isnt a shortage. There absolutely is. Hence why you cannot at all even ORDER a 2022 hybrid anymore. NO MORE are being produced, hence there is alimited quantity, almost all of which are already spoken for, which is the very definition of a shortage. That isnt the dealers fault or anyone elses faults really. Not even Ford really, as there is only so much production capacity.

Thats not an excuse, thats reality.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Back in the day that is what Demo vehicles were… Saleman got to drive them and demo them to potential customers… now every car on the lot is a demo.

I wonder if there has been any carjackings just for test drives. :ROFLMAO:

nubbuchadnezzar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tuscon Hybrid, Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After my Maverick delivery being delayed yet another time… from the original 12/20 date to 1/26…

I finally found a Maverick near work that was being delivered this morning and it wasn’t spoken for…

So I was going to buy it on the spot, before it was even unloaded from the carrier….

Well until the salesman said their dealership policy doesn’t remove any of their market driven mark up price…

“they mark it up so that no one will buy it because they need it for customers to look at!”

What’s up with this modern day car shopping? I need a vehicle because my car finally died and the Mrs. car was totaled in an accident…

Only to have the dealer not want my $30,000 because he needs to have a vehicle for people to look at… SMH

I did a very similar thing with Pinnacle Ford in Nicholasville, KY.
They had a Maverick listed on their site. I called about it, but it was spoken for. But, they had another one arriving in a couple of days, which I could come look at. The sticker on it was $28K. IIRC, it was an XLT EB with tow package.

I went to the dealership and test drove the Mav the day it came in. After my test drive, the salesperson told me they wanted $37K for it. I laughed and left.

The difference between this dealership and the likely story of needing one for show: Pinnacle is getting them in 'used', then marking them up drastically to cover whatever they just paid someone else for the 'used' Mav with 25 miles.

QUICK EDIT: MSRPs from window stickers for screenshot:
Hybrid: $23,875.00
EB: $25,250.00
Screenshot from today:
Ford Maverick The Truth on Dealer Mark Up… right from the General Manager 1642183793352

Last edited:

Mavhead

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan versa
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

3BCE4126-6D11-4410-A394-D2F4F532E0E3.jpeg
There's a reason I ordered two of them. I hope to get a 5 to 10K markup out of one of them. There was nothing stopping you from doing the same.

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There aren't markups because of a shortage of supplies to build vehicles. If that was the case, Ford would raise the MSRP. Lots of dealerships use the chip shortage excuse.
No company ever really wants to raise MSRP unless they absolutely have to. It's an advertising tool, doesn't make sense for them to raise it.
If you want to see other industries doing the same, go look at various hobbies during the pandemic.
I saw simulation setups for racing games and flying games selling for way over MSRP if they even had it in stock. Entry level drones were selling for almost the MSRP of more expensive higher quality drones. Graphics cards for computers to this day are selling for nearly double MSRP on the flagship cards, only way you can get them for MSRP is by joining certain raffles and queues, kinda like putting an order for the maverick at certain dealers right now.

MSRP doesn't matter because Ford does not sell direct to the consumer. If they did, sure as hell that MSRP would be raised but no reason to since that isn't the case.

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
There's a reason I ordered two of them. I hope to get a 5 to 10K markup out of one of them. There was nothing stopping you from doing the same.
Haha, thats DIRTY. I mean to be fair, i would sell mine too if someone offered me 10K over what I paid.
Sponsored