stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
first off on fwd hybrid in the snow. Grew up in Philly area I was driving a rwd Volvo wagon and a blizzard (30+” forecasted)….drove down and back to VA during that storm with no traction issues at all…..because I had 4 snow tires .
Auto manufacturers have done an amazing job of marketing AWD, as if it is something that is absolutely necessary if you live anywhere where white stuff may occasionally touch the ground. It has been proven in countless objective comparison tests that tires are drastically more important than drive wheels for capability in cold, snowy, and slick conditions. Yet, AWD vehicles now account for about half of all new vehicle sales while only ~15% of cars in areas that regularly get snow will use winter tires.

You may not want to deal with the hassle of switching out the tires (just get "all weather" tires then), but the FWD with proper tires will be more capable in the snow than the AWD with all-seasons - period. AWD + winter tires is ultimately the best, but in 20yrs of living in the Utah mountains I have yet to encounter a situation that multiple FWD and RWD vehicles ('97 nissan pickup, '99 crown victoria, '09 hyundai accent, '17 VW jetta) with proper winter tires could not handle. I snowshoe hundreds of miles each winter, you'd be shocked where my jetta with blizzaks goes.

On the other hand, ask my wife about driving her WRX (what she had when we met) in the snow on all-seasons or my mom, brother, and sister (all with Subaru outbacks) about the accidents they all got into in their first winter living in Utah because they didn't listen to me about getting proper tires.
Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What in the hell have your friends been telling you a race car is?
Hahaha. Ok, maybe a bit of a stretch. That Sienna has a sleek look to it . . . maybe something a superhero would drive. Come to think of it, moms and dads are superheroes!

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Auto manufacturers have done an amazing job of marketing AWD, as if it is something that is absolutely necessary if you live anywhere where white stuff may occasionally touch the ground. It has been proven in countless objective comparison tests that tires are drastically more important than drive wheels for capability in cold, snowy, and slick conditions. Yet, AWD vehicles now account for about half of all new vehicle sales while only ~15% of cars in areas that regularly get snow will use winter tires.

You may not want to deal with the hassle of switching out the tires (just get "all weather" tires then), but the FWD with proper tires will be more capable in the snow than the AWD with all-seasons - period. AWD + winter tires is ultimately the best, but in 20yrs of living in the Utah mountains I have yet to encounter a situation that multiple FWD and RWD vehicles ('97 nissan pickup, '99 crown victoria, '09 hyundai accent, '17 VW jetta) with proper winter tires could not handle. I snowshoe hundreds of miles each winter, you'd be shocked where my jetta with blizzaks goes.

On the other hand, ask my wife about driving her WRX (what she had when we met) in the snow on all-seasons or my mom, brother, and sister (all with Subaru outbacks) about the accidents they all got into in their first winter living in Utah because they didn't listen to me about getting proper tires.
Makes good sense

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is all I can say. I have had FWD cars, and AWD cars and AWD will eat the FWD car's lunch every time. You want us, the cult of Maverick to choose your next vehicle. NO! It has four seats, it can be FWD or AWD, it has ICE or a Hybrid and it has US, the chosen fans! We say get it or NOT! Let someone else, some person who can decide for THEMSELVES to grab onto this awesome chariot and RIDE!!!!!

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is all I can say. I have had FWD cars, and AWD cars and AWD will eat the FWD car's lunch every time. You want us, the cult of Maverick to choose your next vehicle. NO! It has four seats, it can be FWD or AWD, it has ICE or a Hybrid and it has US, the chosen fans! We say get it or NOT! Let someone else, some person who can decide for THEMSELVES to grab onto this awesome chariot and RIDE!!!!!
Sorry i blew up.

Sponsored

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, I ordered a '24 Hybrid XLT back in August and I was very surprised to get a build date email yesterday (February 2024). But--in part because I expected more like a year's wait--I've been looking at Foresters and especially CR-V Hybrids instead these past few months.

While I've always wanted a truck (and not a huge one, which is why I was so excited about the Maverick and the hybrid), I'm getting cold feet for a couple reasons and would welcome some perspective from current Maverick owners to help me decide whether or not to go with the Maverick. I'll outline my main thoughts below:
  • I'm not not sure how well the Hybrid (no AWD) will do in the snow, which we get a few times a year in my area (southern Ohio). I know it's not rear-wheel drive and we don't get a ton of really bad snow (usually!) but I do think an AWD (and especially a Subaru) would have the edge. I didn't order an EB because I wanted the fuel economy of the hybrid. How has your Maverick hybrid done in the winter? ,
  • I'm not sure how practical the Maverick is for a family of three (including a toddler still in a carseat), in part because it doesn't seem like there's much cargo space (aside from the bed, which is of course exposed to the rain, and because I've seen on here that carseat space is very limited. How has the Maverick worked as a family vehicle for you?
  • Finally, I'm a little concerned about the overall build quality/reliability of the Maverick. I know people tend to post more complaints than praise in general, but seems the CRV-V hybrid and Forester are more reliable and, overall, better built/more comfortable (especially the CR-V hybrid). I worry about the deep sleep issue, the recalls, etc. I've always owned Toyotas and Hondas and really appreciate a reliable vehicle I can keep for 10+ years.
Thanks for any thoughts and perspective! This forum has been very helpful.
If you don't need a truck for something specific get a Subaru. Especially with the young family a SUV or wagon is so much more useful.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been a Subaru fan since the 90s, drove a 79 wagon in high school. Owned 2 since then.

They don't get great gas mileage. With good tires they absolutely are the best snow cars around! Sold the last 2 cars with high miles and 17 years on each of them and LOTS of life left in them... (Just don't need the AWD here in the south).

groovesocket

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So, I ordered a '24 Hybrid XLT back in August and I was very surprised to get a build date email yesterday (February 2024). But--in part because I expected more like a year's wait--I've been looking at Foresters and especially CR-V Hybrids instead these past few months.

While I've always wanted a truck (and not a huge one, which is why I was so excited about the Maverick and the hybrid), I'm getting cold feet for a couple reasons and would welcome some perspective from current Maverick owners to help me decide whether or not to go with the Maverick. I'll outline my main thoughts below:
  • I'm not not sure how well the Hybrid (no AWD) will do in the snow, which we get a few times a year in my area (southern Ohio). I know it's not rear-wheel drive and we don't get a ton of really bad snow (usually!) but I do think an AWD (and especially a Subaru) would have the edge. I didn't order an EB because I wanted the fuel economy of the hybrid. How has your Maverick hybrid done in the winter? ,
  • I'm not sure how practical the Maverick is for a family of three (including a toddler still in a carseat), in part because it doesn't seem like there's much cargo space (aside from the bed, which is of course exposed to the rain, and because I've seen on here that carseat space is very limited. How has the Maverick worked as a family vehicle for you?
  • Finally, I'm a little concerned about the overall build quality/reliability of the Maverick. I know people tend to post more complaints than praise in general, but seems the CRV-V hybrid and Forester are more reliable and, overall, better built/more comfortable (especially the CR-V hybrid). I worry about the deep sleep issue, the recalls, etc. I've always owned Toyotas and Hondas and really appreciate a reliable vehicle I can keep for 10+ years.
As for the exposed bed issue, spend an extra $1k and get a Flated topper for the Maverick. Problem solved.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/flated-inflatable-topper-for-maverick.5888/

https://getflated.com/products/air-topper-cap-small-truck-ford-maverick

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm a Toyota Sienna Fan... We had a 2008 Sienna Limited we purchased here in Mexico in 2015 and we took it everywhere (i mean everywhere, even crossed the Mayo several times in it.... there's a wide rocky low spot near Mexiquillo)... Just loved that car and referred to it as the SuperSienna. When Covid hit, we knew we'd be in the USA for a bit due to loss of contract work and the need to beat the streets stateside.... Was just better to sell the Mexican registered Sienna at that point... We sold it to a friend here in Alamos, so we still see and drive in it on occasion. I'm not real fond of the looks of the latest generation, but they are bullet proof cars (sans constant problems with the steering rack in ours, but we did drive it very hard on many unimproved rural roads)...

Cambug27046

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've had pick trucks my whole life - 67 now and got a 2023 Maverick - grandchildren (2) fit in the car seats in the back with plenty of room , we haven't had any snow yet but we have red mud - slickern' than greased glass and in the "slippery" mode I have had no problems . It's solid , quiet and a nice ride . I actually love it . Good luck .

Sponsored

BruceK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cruze, 1964 Mercury, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I’ve had my ‘22 since January. 8k miles (I don’t drive a lot) and I’m very happy with it.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think if you are coming from being a Toyota owner, you will be disappointed in the amount of issues the Maverick has/will have.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you get the Maverick get a bed cover or shell. You will have all the storage you need.

TheQuixotic1

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max SEL. 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

1.) Grew up and have spent most of my life in the rust belt. For 10 years I had a Ford C-Max Hybrid and drove it in Erie, PA, Detroit, Fort Wayne, IN, and Cleveland winters. I would wager those winters are all equal to or more brutal than southern Ohio winters. A good set of winter tires on a FWD vehicle will serve you 100x better than your basic all-seasons on any AWD vehicle. I'm guessing in southern Ohio you are more apt to be concerned with icing conditions than you are snow; in which case your speed and your tires will ALWAYS be your biggest variables for you. 6 years in highway patrol and I have personally witnessed a FWD Ford Focus with chains and snow tires drive up Mt. Charleston (just outside of Las Vegas) whilst passing by numerous Jeeps and other modified 4x4 vehicles spun out on the side of the road.

2.) I can't speak to children component, only the overall space/volume. The backseat would likely be tight for a carseat, but if you plan on having your vehicle for several years, then I would wager a couple years of a bulky car carrier can be endured by the front passenger. I would think the problem goes away once the child works their way up out of the initial car seat and into the more vertical-style carseat and booster seats. So it is more a question of how demanding your passenger might be on not ceding any space for offspring, or how much they might have to give up. If your passenger is close to normal height then they might not have to sacrifice much at all. Depth from back of passenger seat would likely be your biggest issue. My wife and I travel a lot with our 85lb labrador retriever in the back seat with his large backpack full of supplies (roughly larger than a jumbo diaper bag, I would assume): we fare quite well when it comes to space and storage. I have a cheap tri-fold soft tonneau cover on the back and I utilize 2 large (40 gallon, I believe) heavy duty rolling tubs in the bed for more organized storage.
Ford Maverick Talk me into or out of the Maverick--getting cold feet 1701710096206

The combo of tonneau and storage tub pretty much fully protects our cargo from everything. With two of those tubs filled there is still additional room in the bed for ~2 pieces of hard-sided carry on luggage, a large rolling cooler, a small duffel bag, and a (collapsed) large travel crate. That's the most I have ever packed in the bed before, and that doesn't count the additional amount of space you can utilize in the cab.

3.) Hard to gauge build quality coming from the perspective of having a fully-loaded Lariat EcoBoost myself. But overall I am happy with the build quality mine has. Your observation about people being more prone to complain than compliment is apt, especially considering this is a forum for a vehicle that was highly anticipated by the people on here; it is very plausible that the expectations and experiences of a few could taint the perceived generalized opinion of most owners. I will refer back to the fact that I owned a 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid for 10 years and 150,000 miles and, a Ford hybrid powertrain that was 10-year older technology and engineering, served me well with zero major issues. Your mileage may vary, but I would venture to guess that, since it is now in its third year of production, recalls and reliability should absolutely be more normalized by this point. Personally, build quality will always be the biggest variable and issue to me. I have nothing against international labor, free trade, yada yada yada. But, contrary to the stereotype, all of my UAW-made Big 3 vehicles have held up great with what I consider to be good build quality. The Maverick is a cost-effective truck made in Mexico to minimize expense and maximize profit for Ford. The metal is thinner, the paint is thinner, there is more plastic than premium materials (even in the Lariat); but mine still seems built reasonably well and I am happy with my purchase so far. All that being said, if Ford offers the Ranger in a hybrid/plug-in hybrid in the next couple years, I will absolutely upgrade from the Maverick.
Sponsored