Sponsored

Tailgate Assist mod recommended?

Cancunbadlands

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Cancun
Joined
Jul 5, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
5,055
Reaction score
5,561
Location
Cancun
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
Cheap option from Amazon

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist mod recommended? 20250710_171954


Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist mod recommended? 20250710_174308
Sponsored

 
First Name
lee
Joined
Sep 20, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
14
Reaction score
12
Location
quebec
Vehicle(s)
ford macerick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had one off Amazon that broke the very poorly welded nipple off after just under 2 years. I replaced it with a DeeZee unit from the dealer that is a lot better welded. If you get the one from the dealer, it has a 2 year warranty for $20 more than the same price off Amazon. One downside of the DeeZee shock is that it opens very, very slowly in below-freezing temperatures.
Hi 👋

I did the exact same thing as you.

I originally bought a cheaper, well-reviewed version from Amazon , I won’t name the brand , but I’m replacing it with the Dee Zee.


The main reason is the nut 🔩 that goes inside the tailgate. The Dee Zee hardware seems much better. The nut on my Amazon tailgate assist failed and ended up scratching the paint.


Question for everyone: what do you think about spraying the back of the tailgate assist bracket with a thin layer of rubber coating before installing it? My thought is that it might help prevent the bracket from scratching the tailgate paint once it’s tightened down. Or should I forget the rubber and attach it directly?
 

Glen Baker LLC

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
8,706
Reaction score
15,847
Location
Central Nevada & Utah
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi 👋

I did the exact same thing as you.

I originally bought a cheaper, well-reviewed version from Amazon , I won’t name the brand , but I’m replacing it with the Dee Zee.


The main reason is the nut 🔩 that goes inside the tailgate. The Dee Zee hardware seems much better. The nut on my Amazon tailgate assist failed and ended up scratching the paint.


Question for everyone: what do you think about spraying the back of the tailgate assist bracket with a thin layer of rubber coating before installing it? My thought is that it might help prevent the bracket from scratching the tailgate paint once it’s tightened down. Or should I forget the rubber and attach it directly?
I feel the rubber sandwiched in between is only going to allow that bracket to rotate.
If the bracket is attached properly and tightened using a properly fitted Torx plus 45 bit. The bracket won't move / rotate and scratch the paint.

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist mod recommended? 20260921_100641
 
First Name
lee
Joined
Sep 20, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
14
Reaction score
12
Location
quebec
Vehicle(s)
ford macerick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with you

the deezee is best because of the nut that goes inside the tailgate.

The nut seems custom compared to the other tailgate assist I had originally bought.
 

tpollauf

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jan 15, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
247
Reaction score
367
Location
Toledo/Port Clinton, Ohio
Vehicle(s)
1992 F-150, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT, 2026 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs
 
First Name
lee
Joined
Sep 20, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
14
Reaction score
12
Location
quebec
Vehicle(s)
ford macerick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Attached are photos showing the different bolt types used with each tailgate assist. The DeeZee is the one pictured on the brown table.


The DeeZee design preventing the bolt from twisting. So does the other bolt but it moved a couple times so decided buy the new deezee

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist mod recommended? IMG_3121


Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist mod recommended? IMG_3120
Sponsored

 
 







Top