First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I always hated when the tailgate drops down with a bang, a lot videos on the subject and a part does exist to take care of this.

30 minutes and completed, make sure to have T30 & 50 or else take a trip to your local hardware store.

At the end of the build you will have to take off (won't be able to attach to truck after the build, do remember to put back the screws that hold it) a bottle opener (you still have another one on the other side)

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video IMG_20211126_112524

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video IMG_20211126_112154

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video IMG_20211126_110656

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video IMG_20211126_111959

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video IMG_20211126_112651

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video IMG_20211126_102116

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Dturano547

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 10 Ford Flex
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have seen modified brackets that don't lose the tie down "bottle opener". A lot of people keep saying they don't mind losing the bottle opener but isn't it the tie down for when you angle the bed to carry plywood or other long objects? I would hate to lose a tie down bracket but would love the tailgate assist. Isn't the tie down needed to run a strap from one side of the tailgate to the other, is there another tie down on the tailgate?

Hyfly11

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hyrum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have seen modified brackets that don't lose the tie down "bottle opener". A lot of people keep saying they don't mind losing the bottle opener but isn't it the tie down for when you angle the bed to carry plywood or other long objects? I would hate to lose a tie down bracket but would love the tailgate assist. Isn't the tie down needed to run a strap from one side of the tailgate to the other, is there another tie down on the tailgate?
This is my problem also. I do not care about the bottle opener but not willing to lose that tie down on such a short bed length. I think a lot will hang out that needs tied on the end there.
Hoping a good solution becomes available to replace that tie down and still have a tailgate assist.

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Did you make sure that the screw in this picture isnt rubbing against the tailgate assist? I had to file mine down, while others changed the screw outright.

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video 1637962508601

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Hyfly11

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hyrum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
sarduyjorge

sarduyjorge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you make sure that the screw in this picture isnt rubbing against the tailgate assist? I had to file mine down, while others changed the screw outright.

1637962508601.png
No problem with rubbing, thanks for the info

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
That is very strange. I wonder what is different with yours or your installation than what the rest of us did.

PebbleMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Subaru Crosstrek Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

1637962508601.png
My tailgate assist DID rub.
That screw is a bit unique because it threads into the plastic tail light assembly (I think). Rather than find a replacement, I used a bench grinder to remove 1/8" off the screw head so it won't scrape against the assist cylinder. Its still a hex head, so no need to worry about the Phillips functionality. Also sprayed clear coat to prevent rust on the screw head.

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video Screw type

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video Screw before

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video Screw after

Last edited:
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The key seems to be installing the upper plate at a slight angle like yours. This positions the gas strut more to the rear and clear of the offending screwhead.

PebbleMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Subaru Crosstrek Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've got two small parts leftover that are NOT on the Parts List.
Too small and too strong to snap over the shock top and bottom.
Any ideas?

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist - installed notes, pics, video parts

Halo9x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 2023
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There's actually 2 bottle openers, one on each side of the tailgate. So losing one for the assist was not a great loss however, getting a tie down ring gives back that functionalit.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm surprised as long as people have been installing these, nobody has thought to use adhesive.

I put a small amount of adhesive tape on the inside of the nut. When I stuck it in, gave it a half turn, pulled it towards the tailgate and felt it grab. Then I tightened everything. You can see it if you angle everything right and leave enough space on the bolt to avoid something like a quarter turn only grabbing a portion of the nut.

Don't use super strong adhesive. You can just beat it in with a mallet if you don't get the angle right. It takes some finesse, but not as much finesse as doing it without adhesive. I made that attempt the first time and knew right away my swear jar would end up overflowing if I tried one more time.

Then just don't apply much pressure when tightening (power tools to the rescue) until it's close enough to hit the good'n'tight torque spec - stretching the threads and stripping the bolt head lol... Not that I would ever do that...

I have no issue with clearance on any bolt head and all brackets are aligned properly. They did stop saying bed liner under the bottle opener though. Mine is an early '22 model Lariat and they must've put the bottle opener on before the spray in liner.
Sponsored