NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My guess is symbols can be universal (for all), but words would have to be changed for each country the vehicle is sent to.
Just give me a pack of American English stickers and I will put them on myself.
Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have no clue what Ford’s exact reasoning is. But “BRAKE HOLD” is spelled out on small buttons in both our Integra and rental Nissan Kicks. I don’t get Ford’s symbols.. look like they were designed by children.

But this is extreme nitpick. I was just curious about answers from someone with experience in the UI industry.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
But this is extreme nitpick. I was just curious about answers from someone with experience in the UI industry.
Some of the so-called experts design web pages that do not have a way back should you change your mind about reading "War and Peace". Hokey example, but the idea is true. Then there are the pages that have the 'continue' 'submit' 'next' labeled buttons down below the bottom of the visible screen ... because they use the top third of the screen for fixed advertisements of all their 'features'.
I am not a designer by trade or experience, but I know I could make web pages that humans would appreciate over these 'professional' designs.
Or not.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One could argue that reading an analog clock isn't necessary, but there are plenty of those still around so I get the point there... but no one - absolutely no one - today has any reason to need to know how to use a rotary phone. That is something you will simply never encounter again.
Guess point I was trying to make if you don't know how old things work how can you design interior controls so people that grew up in 40's and 50's and 60's are comfortable. Believe or not people over 65 buy vehicles.

I really dislike controls on LED screen one has to divert there eyes to see what you are dong. With knobs just reach down and turn.

I still have contact with former co-workers, the stories they share about new breed employees is scary.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Guess point I was trying to make if you don't know how old things work how can you design interior controls so people that grew up in 40's and 50's and 60's are comfortable. Believe or not people over 65 buy vehicles.

I really dislike controls on LED screen one has to divert there eyes to see what you are dong. With knobs just reach down and turn.

I still have contact with former co-workers, the stories they share about new breed employees is scary.
I mean we all have our preferences. My parents are close to retirement age and we picked up a 2022 Civic Touring for my mother this year. I showed her a few things and she’s been in love ever since - especially with the ADAS things like adaptive cruise and lane centering.. things I was not sure she would like. Its equipment/tech goes a bit beyond the top trim Maverick.

So yeah, people over 60 buy and drive new cars. Some of them adapt well to new tech, some don’t. Just like not all “new breed” employees are a certain way.

Guess the point I’m making is that not everyone of the same age/generation is exactly the same.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree that having to commit to memory a plethors of non-intuitive symbols is a PITA.

Still, better than when the switch from words to graphics was first instituted. Back then, every symbol looked like it could be some variant of a picture of a fan.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean we all have our preferences. My parents are close to retirement age and we picked up a 2022 Civic Touring for my mother this year. I showed her a few things and she’s been in love ever since - especially with the ADAS things like adaptive cruise and lane centering.. things I was not sure she would like. Its equipment/tech goes a bit beyond the top trim Maverick.

So yeah, people over 60 buy and drive new cars. Some of them adapt well to new tech, some don’t. Just like not all “new breed” employees are a certain way.

Guess the point I’m making is that not everyone of the same age/generation is exactly the same.
Adaptive cruise boy I despise that. Wife's car has it. Turn it off defaults back on GRRR

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That’s from the 2015 Vacation movie with Ed Helms and Christina Applegate. Not the classic 1997 Vegas Vacation movie with Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo.
Mmmm Beverly D'Angleo now shes someone that ease old folks pain!
Ford Maverick Symbols instead of letters is pain for old folks 1660508891569

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One could argue that reading an analog clock isn't necessary, but there are plenty of those still around so I get the point there... but no one - absolutely no one - today has any reason to need to know how to use a rotary phone. That is something you will simply never encounter again.
Can sure tell you don't live in Vermont.

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's to the comment that not all members of any generation are the same. I know lots of youngsters who are driven, incredibly hard working, conscientious members of society. And this 65 year old Boomer is still a full-time software engineer (who wrote more than a little bit of the software being used by kids today). So there's the standard narrative flipped on its head.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mag Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I'm 66 and I was told many ,many years ago never stop learning and change with the times or get left behind I really don't mind the symbols .:unsure:

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

What ever happened to hot and cold buttons,fan,lights,what ever that had letters underneath them to tell you what was what.these stupid symbols are a pain for this old man🤨but i have a temporary cheat sticker on a few of these symbols till I remember what they are.
Maybe you can get one of those tape label makers and label every control like they did to the TV show Batmobile? :cool:

Ford Maverick Symbols instead of letters is pain for old folks Original-Batmobile-16

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How about having a button labeled with a ”?” that when you push it the screen shows a list of the icons and their meanings. Of course it should be disabled when the vehicle is moving for safety.
Sponsored