TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think the only competetion this thing will really have right off the bat is the Santa Cruz. With the Ridgeline starting at like $38k now they're not only not on the same playing field, they arent even in the same sport. The Ridgeline is fairly capable when it comes to actual truck stuff whereas this is just gonna be a cheap Escape with a bed for semi-outdoorsy people. I dont expect it to come anywhere close to the Ridgeline towing and payload ratings.
If Ford makes this just a cheap Escape with a truckbed, they will

1. Have sales as anemic as Honda has had
2. Be the laughing stock of the truck market

I don’t think Ford would want either of those things. Why would you damage your reputation as the King of Trucks?

I think Ford is going to make it quite capable as a small pickup. Building it off the hardened, off-road Bronco Sport platform is an indication of that.

Loiselle313

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus SE
I always get a kick out of seeing spy shots of Ford vehicles (on various websites), and knowing exactly where the photos were taken. These shots were taken just around the block from my house in Dearborn. Rotunda Dr. & Oakwood Blvd. at the Ford Resource & Engineering Vehicle Service Center (SRC).

Each day on my way home from work, I'll see countless camouflaged vehicles going in and coming out of Ford properties. It's a trip, especially when you see something, not knowing what it is, years before the public.

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
I always get a kick out of seeing spy shots of Ford vehicles (on various websites), and knowing exactly where the photos were taken. These shots were taken just around the block from my house in Dearborn. Rotunda Dr. & Oakwood Blvd. at the Ford Resource & Engineering Vehicle Service Center (SRC).

Each day on my way home from work, I'll see countless camouflaged vehicles going in and coming out of Ford properties. It's a trip, especially when you see something, not knowing what it is, years before the public.
Bring us pics if you can 😁😁

Reactions: Doc

TBone35

First Name
Tracy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge Titanium
We've caught a Ford Maverick prototype alongside a Ford Ranger Crew Cab, giving us a new comparison which puts the Maverick’s size in better perspective.

2022 Maverick Pickup vs Ranger 1.jpg
2022 Maverick Pickup vs Ranger 2.jpg
2022 Maverick Pickup vs Ranger 3.jpg
2022 Maverick Pickup vs Ranger 4.jpg
2022 Maverick Pickup vs Ranger 5.jpg
2022 Maverick Pickup vs Ranger 6.jpg
2022 Maverick Pickup vs Ranger 8.jpg
2022 Maverick Pickup vs Ranger 7.jpg
2022 Maverick Pickup vs Ranger 9.jpg
2022 Maverick Pickup vs Ranger 10.jpg
They might as well have an "H" on the grill to complete the Ridgeline theft !

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
In what way? Because I personally just don't see it. But to each his own.

That said, so many things look like so many other things these days with all the aerodynamic amorphous blobs out there, that saying something looks like something else is hardly an indictment. Just look at all the sedans and crossovers out from so many manufacturers that look so similar. Sure there are real differences when you dig into it and look closely, but the same could be said here (if you truly think they look similar).

ghost1986

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
If they can pull Ridgeline buyers that would be superb. The Ridgeline is in a whole nother class above where this is aiming.

It doesnt remind me of the Ridgeline at all though. Wont be anywhere near as capable or beefy at the price point its aiming for.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
If they can pull Ridgeline buyers that would be superb. The Ridgeline is in a whole nother class above where this is aiming.

It doesnt remind me of the Ridgeline at all though. Wont be anywhere near as capable or beefy at the price point its aiming for.
“Beefy”??? Huh? 🤔
The Maverick is already beefier by the fact it’s being built on an off-road capable platform. - 2019 Ridgeline owner

Tennessee

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
As far as jump seats are concerned, my 2007 Honda Fit had jump seats, and it was Honda's economy car. They made a little car much bigger inside and more useful. Sometimes it doesn't cost much to add quality features. We'll have to wait and see whether Ford adds features that make sense on the Maverick or tries to limit them in order to make their other offerings look better. The long view would be to make this little truck is desirable as possible, in order to recruit new Ford buyers that will become future big truck buyers.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
I don't think that the Ridgeline and the Maverick will be cross shopped vehicles. First off, the Ridgeline is a high feature luxury mid-sized truck, whereas the Maverick is a low-cost (base trim) to "well appointed" (high-trim) compact truck. Secondly, the $10,000 to $15,000 price difference will keep potential Maverick shoppers from considering a Ridgeline; and Ridgeline shoppers may see the Maverick as too down market. If I could justify the expense of a Ridgeline, I would get a Ridgeline without hesitation (it is my favorite mid-size truck).

The Santa Cruz and the Marverick are natural born competitors. But their individual styles will attract different buyers. This divide will be as wide and as polarizing as political affiliation.

MarcusBrody

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
I don't think that the Ridgeline and the Maverick will be cross shopped vehicles. First off, the Ridgeline is a high feature luxury mid-sized truck, whereas the Maverick is a low-cost (base trim) to "well appointed" (high-trim) compact truck. Secondly, the $10,000 to $15,000 price difference will keep potential Maverick shoppers from considering a Ridgeline; and Ridgeline shoppers may see the Maverick as too down market. If I could justify the expense of a Ridgeline, I would get a Ridgeline without hesitation (it is my favorite mid-size truck).

The Santa Cruz and the Marverick are natural born competitors. But their individual styles will attract different buyers. This divide will be as wide and as polarizing as political affiliation.
I think comparable specs are going to be closer in price than you think. I do think the Maverick will be cheaper, but I suspect that it will be closer to 5k for similar outfitting than 10-15. In theory the Ranger starts at 24k, but one that is comparable to the 37k Ridgeline is closer to 40k. I think a similar Maverick will likely be in the 32k range and that's close enough to cross shop.

ghost1986

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
I think they're in totally different classes honestly. If you can option a Maverick to $35k-ish (which would be absolutely absurd for this thing), it wouldnt come close to holding a candle to a base Ridgeline. The Ridgeline will always be the far more beefy, civilized, and have higher power/towing/payload.

They arent in the same class and just because you may be able to option the Maverick up close to the same cost doesnt mean anything. Its like the people that option a Tacoma up into the $40k range. I mean yea you can but why would you? The Tundra walks all over it when it comes to capabilities.

The only competition will come from the Santa Cruz but I think that will be more Ute-ish(which isnt a bad thing). The Maverick will be less nice to drive and likely not as fancy but it'll be able to occupy the slightly heavier duty crowd and fleet type buyers. The Santa Cruz will cost more to start (likely no low level fleet trims), look a lot cooler being more ute-like, and probably have better gizmos just because Hyundai is better at that. I think the Santa Cruz has a higher chance of being cross-shopped with the Ridgeline honestly. The Ridgeline is a fancy, civilized, more expensive mid-size. The Santa Cruz will be a fancy, civilized, more expensive "compact" if thats whats were gonna be calling these things.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

Ridgeline Sport is not a luxury vehicle. Base 2WD starts at $34K

I think they will be compared bc both are unibody trucks, but they won’t be cross-shopped, as they are in different size classes. The Ranger and Ridgeline ARE cross-shopped, and based on sales #s, the Ranger wins! And is far more capable as a truck.

I think Ford will offer up The Maverick with all the luxury appointments they do with the Ranger and F-150. We already know they’ll be a Lariat edition with all the bells and whistles and a “Timberline” off-road capable version w a 2” lift, skid plates,and hopefully GOAT mode AWD like the Bronco Sport