theek

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Just curious, why would an all-electric have to be a uni-body? 🤷🏼‍♂️

The all-electric F-150 that Ford has demo’d pulling a million pound freight train is BoF..

see for yourself:
Ride quality, interior room, room for batteries. In any case that's a prototype, and very few use cases need towing a million pounds.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Ride quality, interior room, room for batteries. In any case that's a prototype, and very few use cases need towing a million pounds.
Says the guy who never worked in the auto industry vs. The Ford F-150 Product Manager featured in the video... 🙄

Ponypower

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda accord
For over a decade, folks have been lamenting the loss of the original Ford Ranger, it's smaller size and footprint. Now, folks are bellyaching about license plate placement (btw, looks just fine to me as it makes room for the reciever hitch mounted in a higher position it would be with a more traditional center plate location) or that it looks small. Well, that's the whole point of this vehicle, no?

I believe the Crew Cab configuration will be it, cause to do a Super Cab configuration means tooling up a completely different uni-body structure. And I don't think Ford has the kind of capital to make that happen.

I pay mind to the major car magz and I have to say that this Maverick is getting very little airplay. It's even absent on Ford's website. In my eyes, this truck is going to be an absolute sales winner that it's going to siphon sales away from the Ranger as well as the GM Twins. I imagine Mary Barra in GM Corporate Headquarters is screaming at her subordinates why they did not have a counterpunch (S10?) to "head this Maverick off at the pass!"

Kudos to the Maverick Club for staying up on this important truck and I look forward to the site progressing with the truck once the aftermarket gets ahold of it!!
I’m sure Ford has plenty of capital to tool a factory but the truth is 90% of truck buyers buy the crew cab. Also this truck has not been officially announced so it won’t be on the website.

FTM1

First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RIDGELINE ACURA 3.2 TL
Hurray for lower beds. Looking at modern truck heights and the depth of beds hurts my back. Please no fancy swinging tailgate. Certainly not mad at the license plate just seemed curious. Perhaps giving the design it’s the best place for it. Only recently have I considered a new truck. Always been looking at old rangers so that’s what I compare any truck to.
Well the Ridgeline dual-action swing tailgate has two purposes. The first is to allow easy access to the in-bed trunk. It would be hard to reach over the tailgate to put larger or heavier or smaller things into deep trunk. Also couldn't have access to spare tire inside trunk on sliding tray. The other benefit to swing open tailgate allows easier access to items up in the bed like behind rear window. If its heavy or big you can't lift over bed sides you can step up on bumper step into bed. Or without tailgate in the way puts you closer into bed. So you would want a tailgate to open like Ridgeline or drop completely down for this better access to bed.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Well the Ridgeline dual-action swing tailgate has two purposes. The first is to allow easy access to the in-bed trunk. It would be hard to reach over the tailgate to put larger or heavier or smaller things into deep trunk. Also couldn't have access to spare tire inside trunk on sliding tray. The other benefit to swing open tailgate allows easier access to items up in the bed like behind rear window. If its heavy or big you can't lift over bed sides you can step up on bumper step into bed. Or without tailgate in the way puts you closer into bed. So you would want a tailgate to open like Ridgeline or drop completely down for this better access to bed.
Agreed. I’m hoping Ford is looking at incorporating this at least into the upper trim levels..

Reactions: Doc

oljackfrost

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Ford had a tailgate that worked just like that in the 70s. It worked very well. All they gotta do is dust off some old blueprints!

oljackfrost

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Ford had a tailgate that worked just like that in the 70s. It worked very well. All they gotta do is dust off some old blueprints!
Whoops! Forgot to mention that the tailgate was on station wagons.

Basil

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 ranger
I'm glad you find these things useful and maybe i would too if I had one. However I've never found myself wishing i had one. Really deep beds is a deal breaker. When i walk by trucks I often guess if I could reach into the bed and many times I dont think it would be comfortable. These are probably lifted also. Do they put spare tires inside of beds now? Like bed storage? Dont want any bed storage compartments that just seems like something for tweakers to break into

Leuf

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10
I'm glad you find these things useful and maybe i would too if I had one. However I've never found myself wishing i had one. Really deep beds is a deal breaker. When i walk by trucks I often guess if I could reach into the bed and many times I dont think it would be comfortable. These are probably lifted also. Do they put spare tires inside of beds now? Like bed storage? Dont want any bed storage compartments that just seems like something for tweakers to break into
What Honda did with the Ridgeline is essentially move the bottom of the bed up to near the top of the wheel wells. There are a lot of trade-offs to that, It makes it the only mid-size truck that you can put a 4x8 sheet flat onto the floor of the bed, but you lost half the volume of the bed in order to get that. They give you the "trunk" in the back to get some of that back. The spare tire is taking up the rest of the space. Which I guess is nice in that it's protected from the salt so you can actually get it out without a torch if you actually need it unlike every other truck in the rust belt.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Tweakers would find it hard to break into the Ridgeline in-bed storage compartment. It made out of carbon fiber, so it’s pretty tough. That, the spare being in the compartment, and the dual-action tailgate are the things I love about my Ridgeline. The rest, not so much..