Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How long does paint take to cure? That’s dependent upon what type of paint it is. As a professional artist I’m really only familiar with high grade artist’s acrylics. They can take varying times to fully cure, depending upon a number of different factors, including the thickness of the paint layer. Surfactants in acrylic paint can continue migrating up to the surface for years. I don’t know what material is currently used for auto painting, but the fact remains, curing is a chemical process that happens at a molecular level, and it happens with all paint. It just differs with different paint types. There must be someone out there who is familiar with current auto paints who could chime in.
My buddy who has been doing frame off restorations/paint since the 70s, says about 3 days to full cure- Who knows what paint Ford is actually using in Mexico...
Sponsored

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i know all modern paints are water based but these spots look like old fashioned solvent pop where the coats were applied too quickly together allowing the lower level to outgas through the newest coat . But id have to see it in person to be sure. The robots may have gotten in a hurry on this job and wanted to finish early ;)

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
I bet that if you talked to the formulators who actually made the paint, and not just the people who are applying the paint, they might give you a different answer as to how long a “full” cure takes. Or perhaps modern auto paints are truly something else. Just out of curiosity I Would like to know

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
most PFF installers wont do PPF on a car unless its at least 30 days old from paint/repaint.

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are we to believe that Ford is incapable of painting vehicles properly. That is what I take from this thread and the posts here:

So many posts about:

Soft Paint
Paint not fully cured
Issue with surface prep
Paint adherence issue
Two colors having such problems? Lousy formula?
Repeat of the Bronco Sport fiasco
Every flat color Subaru has this issue
This is a well-known issue on the Bronco Sport

Then we have these posts:

Haven't seen this issue in the Ranger forum
This has nothing to do with the color of paint. The name of this thread should be “Rock chips”.

My Questions:

Is this "paint issue" only on the Maverick and Bronco Sport models in the Ford Line-up?
What about the Ford Fusion and the Lincoln MKZ (last produced in 2020) did they also have paint issues?

Those four models were/are produced in the Hermosillo Plant. There were other models produced at the plant but production stopped on those in 2011 or earlier.

https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-...y-hermosillo-assembly-plant-hermosillo-mexico

Do any other Ford Models (Mustang, F-150/250/350/450, Escape, Edge, Expedition) also experience these "paint issues"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should we believe that Ford's Hermosillo Plant is the only current production plant that is having "paint issues"?

And that the "paint issues" are a current issue and not one they had in the past?

Are the "paint issues" only for the "Two colors having such problems" and that the other colors are problem free?

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone going to do a ceramic based coating for protection?
I'm planning on doing my Maverick. As to exactly when that will happen I'm not sure. Since I've ordered a hybrid it's looking like I won't have it until the end of this year or early next year, which means winter time. Although winter in Tucson isn't as bad as other places, still it's cold and I'm not going to wash my truck outside when it's cold, I do a 3 bucket wash. So it might be a few months before I can get to coating it with ceramic. Then there's everything I've been reading about paint curing that makes me wonder if waiting isn't such a bad idea. Lastly I'm going to have ppf applied to frontal areas. I've been very impressed with pictures posted on this forum that's shown how effective that stuff really is!

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For people upgrading from an old car to a new one, this may be unavoidable as eco friendly paints that they use now simply aren't as durable and that's across all brands. You'll hear complaints about soft paint on pretty much everything made in the last decade.

A clear bra might be a good idea.
This. EPA created emission standards for VOC's for automotive paint in the Clean Air Act. All manufactures and consumers are feeling the effects.

Crappier solvents. Crappier paint. Crappier primer. Thinner coats of paint. All this increases likely hood of orange peel paint, chips, peeling, de-lamination, etc.

Here's my 2017 HR-V that got repainted earlier this year under warranty.

Ford Maverick Soft paint? Rock chips after 400 miles Peeling paint

Sponsored
OP
OP
CLH917

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m getting a whole front cap of XPEL done this week, problem solved lol.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hopefully Ford makes this right before my Maverick is built.
You expect ford to remove all rocks and other debris from roads and ensure they never chip someone's paint?

I wish they could do that. Until then. Your car will get chips. Either film or don't worry about it.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is what is making me rethink my decision to put meaty 245s on my truck. Maybe I will just go with 235s that stay under the wheel wells.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How long does paint take to cure? That’s dependent upon what type of paint it is. As a professional artist I’m really only familiar with high grade artist’s acrylics. They can take varying times to fully cure, depending upon a number of different factors, including the thickness of the paint layer. Surfactants in acrylic paint can continue migrating up to the surface for years. I don’t know what material is currently used for auto painting, but the fact remains, curing is a chemical process that happens at a molecular level, and it happens with all paint. It just differs with different paint types. There must be someone out there who is familiar with current auto paints who could chime in.
Thank you, thank you. As a hobby I have rebuilt painted six 911 Porsches. The technology of paint products is 10 times better than it was 20 yrs ago. ALL depending on type of paint...good automative paint starts at $80-90 a gallon, and better paint could easily be $250 a gallon...(read the labels on cans of automotive paint and it tells you 60 to 90 days depending of heat treatment). A $19k dollar car is not going to get a premium paint job. Been thru the Porsche factory tour 3 times, just for the fun of watch my car get painted. Paint takes time to cure...many manufacturers use clean room with heat lamps for several days to speed up the process. Different colors take different times to dry/cure. Some if not most, economical cars get a primer then 1 final coat of your choice colors of paint...maybe a few hours to dry...then pushed back into the assembly line. Higher end cars may get 5, 6 or more coats of the final color and clear coat harden lacquer applied.
Gees! Ceramic coatings are one of the better things for paint protection in the last 10 yrs.

But ceramic coatings protect against water spots, block dirt from the paint, and maybe sand...but ceramic coatings are simply a very hard coating that wears off after 1 may 2 years and has to be reapplied. Ceramic is not going to deflect gravel. 3M type plastic wraps are good but the Mini-Cooper I had wrapped 10 yrs ago turned a yellowish tint after 4 or 5 years and really looked bad, and had to be redone...so i just pilled it off and did a ceramic coating. Plastic wraps are great for small areas prone to gravel attacks.

FYI a good body shop with a tube of glaze and their tiny paint brush can fix most gravel pit damage so you can not even see them. Since many people dropped mud flaps during their build, it would be wise to put on upon delivery. My Current vehicle has flaps for the front and REAR of the wheel well so that is what I will be looking far since my Maverick is primarily going to be an off-road cross-country vehicle.

When the Mini-Cooper first came out everyone was screaming about windshield getting pitted with gravel & rocks....but justifiably BMW would not warranty windshields since it was gravel coming from the roadway against a vertical windshield.
Sponsored

Last edited: