2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hit a few big tumbleweeds, then noticed the shutter on the bottom-

What a PITA cleaning all the debris out of there...
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At what temp do the shutters close ,mine is a 2023 hybird ,gettin cold here and never once saw them close.....
They'll typically close at startup, but once the coolant reaches operating temp they'll usually stay open the entire time.

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
At that temperature, it may not open all day while driving...

Long time ego I had a car in Europe, that had manual control of closing/opening of the "grill", that was more of a window blind than grill. The intended purpose had been to close/partially close it in the winter. I doubt that there had been much of a discussion about aerodynamic of vehicles back then.... ;)

bykerhd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost FW
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Neat idea. But something for you folks in heavy road salt areas to check every now and again.
My old '65 VW Beetle heater boxes use to freeze/rust open before winter and then freeze closed before summer. Cable operated German engineering.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We had the windows open one day at about 45mph and when we turned the AC on/off just by chance we could hear a difference in wind noise. Thought it was weird- must have been the shutters open/closed. (2023 Hybrid)

DBHorbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, Hybrid Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cool. That will be useful on those -40° mornings!
I don’t know about Ford specifically, but they very well might stay partially open at -40° as to avoid risk of freezing shut.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Neat idea. But something for you folks in heavy road salt areas to check every now and again.
My old '65 VW Beetle heater boxes use to freeze/rust open before winter and then freeze closed before summer. Cable operated German engineering.
The system is mostly plastic and would set a DTC if blocked or the actuator failed; it self-tests every start cycle.

Mickeybob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybird
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Shutters are very important for good mileage .I have a Prius as well ,on Prius chat it was common to put pool noodles in the grill to retain heat . I dont believe Shutters on Mavs are for aerodynamics ,tho it could maybe help. When the TSB from Ford to break two shutters out(REALLY DUMB) to prevent a engine fire when the engine blows up, that changed the epa fuel mileage from 42 to 40 ...Heat =fuel, Mavs even have a little radiator on the tailpipe to recover heat .I really want to put the missing shutters back in for heat retention .Hybirds need heat for a lot of reasons .My Prius also has a thermos jug ,when you shut off the car, a pump ,pumps engine coolant into the jug to keep the heat .Mavs shutters should stay closed with engine off or untill engine is warmed up . Having Prius since 08 you learn why heat is so important .Prius does not get good mileage for the first 5 minutes till its warmed up. Using the heater can take off 5+ mpg. hope this helps ....
Sponsored