Sponsored

S&B intake installed. What a difference

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
Joined
Aug 3, 2021
Threads
102
Messages
3,218
Reaction score
3,056
Location
Salt Lake city
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve been curious about all these claimed numbers myself and thank gawd this thread exists to have really broke most of it down.
This is the most concise comment for all the claims by manufacturers of “air intake systems” and car back exhausts.

The clincher is when you add it all up. I asked search assist about the claimed numbers for afe rebel exhaust and what was telling were the words “as tested on their in house dyno.”🙄 Which, admittedly without bothering now to look up exactly, is where I’m guessing the numbers for the only dyno sheet for the afe cold air intake for the Maverick came from, and those numbers are different from what is claimed by them on the webpage where the CAI is listed. The dyno sheet numbers show only 13hp and 8ftlbs of torque while the page shows 12hp and 14ft lbs of torque.

More evidence points to cat back exhaust systems not producing any gains: SW exhaust cat back claims no power gains, neither does the exhaust Ford performance just released.

From the Ford Racing Parts own page, it reads: “Ford Performance Sport exhaust systems are uniquely designed and tuned to provide an aggressive and throaty high-performance sound that is sure to enhance your driving experience”

ENHANCE DRIVING EXPERIENCE!😆

Engine noises!

To wrap it up, I would agree with what you said about making the turbo spool faster, as my truck seems to accelerate slightly better, just enough to notice, same with shifts, which could be explained by the quicker spooling of the turbo.

The more solid throughput of the exhaust structure does also make the turbosmart BOV active all throughout the RPM range whereas before it seemed to only happen around 3000 RPM or more, AND it is more audible, which I do love!

I will also say I noticed the truck feel nimbler likely because it shed at least 12-15 lbs from the stock system vs the MRT street race system so there is less weight flopping around the underside. The exhaust I bought isn’t very loud, but the note is really pleasant!
The stock 2/Ecobooost engine noise is terrible- I have fixed that :)
 

Sponsored

Chops

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Gary
Joined
Jun 15, 2025
Threads
80
Messages
3,047
Reaction score
4,774
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lobo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
I’m going to install the 25/26 S&B Intake as soon as it is available for purchase ($379). Should be available any day now? I check the website weekly - still shows “launch Summer 2026”.

Some have already been installed & are being test driven pre-launch. I would have volunteered for that…


Ford Maverick S&B intake installed. What a difference IMG_0600
 

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
Joined
Aug 3, 2021
Threads
102
Messages
3,218
Reaction score
3,056
Location
Salt Lake city
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m going to install the 25/26 S&B Intake as soon as it is available for purchase ($379). Should be available any day now? I check the website weekly - still shows “launch Summer 2026”.

Some have already been installed & are being test driven pre-launch. I would have volunteered for that…


IMG_0600.webp

Such a better location for the actual air intake then on the completely opposite side of where the turbo lives -
 

Mdmac

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2024
Threads
35
Messages
490
Reaction score
478
Location
Kansas
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have one on my 23 Lariat. Combined with a flowmaster FX exhaust which is not loud gives me the ability to get over 45mpg on a ecoboost truck. On a couple of trips on I35 this is what the mpg monitor showed. Trio is 42 miles each way. One was going the other returning.

IMG_2339 (1).webp


IMG_2337.webp
Hello, that is the 2.0 Ecoboost with exhaust and better air filter and you are getting that mileage? Guess I need to get those installed because my 2.0 gets about 24 average. Best I ever got driving to and from the Lake was 31.
 

stangg17

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Threads
7
Messages
146
Reaction score
173
Location
Chicago
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m going to install the 25/26 S&B Intake as soon as it is available for purchase ($379). Should be available any day now? I check the website weekly - still shows “launch Summer 2026”.

Some have already been installed & are being test driven pre-launch. I would have volunteered for that…


IMG_0600.webp
BTW the 2025 intakes are now showing as in production. Should be soon!

Ford Maverick S&B intake installed. What a difference 1786382058726-e2
 
Sponsored

Gumpus

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
6
Reaction score
8
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Engine
Undecided
These aftermarket intakes don’t really change anything, other than the noise level, which in turn makes the engine “sound more powerful”

I was involved in evaluating this type of modified intake years ago. Customers were claiming miraculous improvements on the engine I was Chief Engineer on at the time, and we were getting beat up on from field service. To make a long story short, we couldn’t duplicate improvements on the dynamometer, or on test trucks. Didn’t make squat of a difference in fuel economy or acceleration.

i evev flew to Dallas to do back to back A-B-A tests using a vocal customer’s personal truck, which we borrowed and fully instrumented, using lab grade instrumentation and confirmed fuel economy using drain and weigh. We put close to 1000 miles on the customer truck.

Results…no diffference…nada.

the telling comment was when we returned the truck to the owner….”Just listen to the power”.

he was confusing sound with power, and had no idea how to actually measure fuel economy.

The whole intake mod was a placebo effect on actual power and fuel economy.

The aftermarket made pretty good money selling pretty garbage, though.
Must be coincidence but when I was a powertrain engineer we used dynamometers to check this kind of thing too. Then we used statistics to figure out if small changes were real. We'd usually do a test of reasonableness first to screen out testing stuff like Pixie Dust.
 

ejouie

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Evan
Joined
Sep 21, 2022
Threads
10
Messages
395
Reaction score
498
Location
Newnan, GA
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Maverick, Atlas Blue, FWD, EcoBoost, XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
Wouldn't an open cone be the best for flow? The turbo is going to heat up the air to high heaven anyway, so the intake temp doesn't make much a difference. It will make all the noises, which is why ford doesn't do it that way from the start.

I've been through this with the ole 3800 M90. Open cone stuck directly to the throttle body was the best option overall. The intakes got barely measurable improvement in power, but less in MPG. Also, working around the open cone in the engine bay was so much nicer with all the space opened up.
 

Chops

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Gary
Joined
Jun 15, 2025
Threads
80
Messages
3,047
Reaction score
4,774
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lobo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
Must be coincidence but when I was a powertrain engineer we used dynamometers to check this kind of thing too. Then we used statistics to figure out if small changes were real. We'd usually do a test of reasonableness first to screen out testing stuff like Pixie Dust.
You were using the wrong measurement tool. Should have used sound level meter, also commonly referred to as a decibel meter, sound pressure level (SPL) meter, or noise meter.
Ford Maverick S&B intake installed. What a difference IMG_0869
Sponsored

 
 







Top