Sponsored

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
The risk of reducing the life of an engine to gain a little extra power just doesn't make much sense to me. Hell, I'd pay Ford $399 extra to add 20% more longevity to the vehicle!
Improving efficiency does not reduce engine longevity.
Sponsored

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the whole point of a piggy back tune, you take it off and there is no way for them to tell that you were running a tune, or at least no way to remotely prove it.

That is IF its a good piggy back that has all the factory harnesses so that its plug and play.

If you have to cut up your factory wiring, then that piggy back makes no sense IMO, might as well go with a ECU tune at that point.
Looks to be plug and play.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you aren't changing the "CAN" in the ECU, then a device like this is not detectable, as it "piggy backs" and can be removed. It does not leave a footprint on the ECU.
So, the fact that is undetectable makes it all right to cheat Ford if you claim damage caused by the device under the factory warranty?

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Improving efficiency does not reduce engine longevity.
More power generally means more wear and tear. I have my doubts that aftermarket tuners really know more about Ford engines than the engineers who designed and tuned them. Hell, one recent post from an aftermarket guy revealed that just attaching a hose is a challenge. While I have no doubt that these guys can squeeze out a little more power, I suspect that it comes with a cost.
All of that said, if someone is willing to take the risk, have at it. Just isn’t worth it to me.

Sponsored

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More power generally means more wear and tear. I have my doubts that aftermarket tuners really know more about Ford engines than the engineers who designed and tuned them. Hell, one recent post from an aftermarket guy revealed that just attaching a hose is a challenge. While I have no doubt that these guys can squeeze out a little more power, I suspect that it comes with a cost.
All of that said, if someone is willing to take the risk, have at it. Just isn’t worth it to me.
Wear and tear is a by product of the end user.

Many who get into the aftermarket tuning world, come directly from programming experience with the car makers.

Staying stock is your call..and there is nothing wrong with that..

30hp more and better fuel economy doesn't worry me..

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, the fact that is undetectable makes it all right to cheat Ford if you claim damage caused by the device under the factory warranty?
Bro.. for real... get outta here..lol

I explained what it does. My comment made no indication of moral compass.

But that said, like Ford never screws the consumer, ever?

Last edited:

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have no idea what this is about, except to say that 20% better gas mileage seems interesting to me. Especially if it’s plug and play. As for power, the XLT I test drove was plenty powerful for me… but better gas mileage at $ 3.65 a gallon seems like a good deal.

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fully loaded Maverick Lariat, Harley Fat Bob
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why, yes. Yes, it does.

I bet you told on a lot of kids in elementary school.

Sponsored

ybnormal07

First Name
Y B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Coming from a tuning background, this seems overpriced for the gains. I'm betting there will be future tunes available with better gains, albeit, they will likely be flash type tunes vs this piggyback OBD2 plug-in. Also, given the current hp/tq figures, the gains shown could be very close to atmospheric variances too...in other words, they aren't much, and could be accounted for by dynoing on a different day. Just my opinion. With these little gains, I would find it hard to feel via seat of the pants any improvement. The selling site offers no dyno charts to show where the gains are, or if there are any peaks/valleys. Last, they have a picture of one of these units also showing a wiring harness, which if you go all the way to purchasing a unit, there is no mention of if the unit needs this harness or not. I should quantify this post in that my experience is with much higher HP vehicles, so perhaps my perspective is a bit skewed.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming from a tuning background, this seems overpriced for the gains. I'm betting there will be future tunes available with better gains, albeit, they will likely be flash type tunes vs this piggyback OBD2 plug-in. Also, given the current hp/tq figures, the gains shown could be very close to atmospheric variances too...in other words, they aren't much, and could be accounted for by dynoing on a different day. Just my opinion. With these little gains, I would find it hard to feel via seat of the pants any improvement. The selling site offers no dyno charts to show where the gains are, or if there are any peaks/valleys. Last, they have a picture of one of these units also showing a wiring harness, which if you go all the way to purchasing a unit, there is no mention of if the unit needs this harness or not. I should quantify this post in that my experience is with much higher HP vehicles, so perhaps my perspective is a bit skewed.
One would hope/assume that the results are from same day, same dyno, same vehicle, same conditions. As you stated, that is not verified currently.

As for the gains, on a 250hp vehicle, I'd say 29hp/33tq are beyond what "atmospheric conditions" can vary. Esp if the above mentioned parameters are legit for the testing and repeatable.

Even if you squeeze 2-3 more psi and have the trims in check accordingly, those numbers are not unreasonable.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Anyone that has tuned or is a turner knows piggybackd suck. Why trick a tune when you can tune it properly.. Well maybe if you live in CA but that a whole nother dump.

ybnormal07

First Name
Y B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
One would hope/assume that the results are from same day, same dyno, same vehicle, same conditions. As you stated, that is not verified currently.

As for the gains, on a 250hp vehicle, I'd say 29hp/33tq are beyond what "atmospheric conditions" can vary. Esp if the above mentioned parameters are legit for the testing and repeatable.

Even if you squeeze 2-3 more psi and have the trims in check accordingly, those numbers are not unreasonable.
All good observations. Its been my experience that even a slight change in barometric pressure can have a significant change in HP output. Given that they are stating a rough 12% increase in power, half of this could be accounted for by a single inch/hg change. However, I had time to do some research on the 2.0 and this output seems on par with real world tuning. Looks like with some typical mods (intake, exhaust, intercooler, plugs, tune) they can produce around 320 hp. Speaking of, what is the peak boost pressure for this platform? I think I'll look around for a plug-in for additional monitoring like boost, etc.

Maveriac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT AWD, Ford F150 Lariat 4WD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the feedback folks. I should have clarified that I do not necessarily want acceleration but more fuel efficiency. If it goes faster; fine. I will research more and post a note if I pu
Sponsored