First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT AWD, Ford F150 Lariat 4WD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have spent quite a bit of time this morning researching tuning options for the Maverick 2.0L Ecoboost . When I started looking for performance, power and reduced fuel consumption I know nothing about the entire process. I now know even less.
I read close to 100 reviews of the Race Chip and other manufacturers products to find the reviews being slightly skewed to the negative, but that is the review business. More people will respond to negativity than positivity.
All of that beings said I feel it would be best for me to wait until Ford markets a product that can be approved by the factory, installed by the dealer, and not have an effect on the Ford warranty.
Sponsored

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

All good observations. Its been my experience that even a slight change in barometric pressure can have a significant change in HP output. Given that they are stating a rough 12% increase in power, half of this could be accounted for by a single inch/hg change. However, I had time to do some research on the 2.0 and this output seems on par with real world tuning. Looks like with some typical mods (intake, exhaust, intercooler, plugs, tune) they can produce around 320 hp. Speaking of, what is the peak boost pressure for this platform? I think I'll look around for a plug-in for additional monitoring like boost, etc.
Sanctioned by the pope, you'll still go to heaven.
Two questions……..
1) If this, or any other gizmo, can increase performance (however one wants to define that), and increase MPG’s, why would Ford NOT install it on the vehicle in the first place?
This is NOT a rhetorical question. I really would like an answer.
2) Is it really the intent of members of this “club” to mock some fellow members for wanting to do the honorable thing?
Is THAT the way your father raised you?
Consider this one a rhetorical question. But answer it to yourself, at least. “To thine own self, be true.”

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting this. I'm considering a couple of different tunes and this has a better price point for me.
No way in a million years that is better then a custom tune.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have spent quite a bit of time this morning researching tuning options for the Maverick 2.0L Ecoboost . When I started looking for performance, power and reduced fuel consumption I know nothing about the entire process. I now know even less.
I read close to 100 reviews of the Race Chip and other manufacturers products to find the reviews being slightly skewed to the negative, but that is the review business. More people will respond to negativity than positivity.
All of that beings said I feel it would be best for me to wait until Ford markets a product that can be approved by the factory, installed by the dealer, and not have an effect on the Ford warranty.
No just go to a reputable tuner who tunes the 2.0 EB Maverick, not a piggyback system. This way the tune will be fined tuned to your vehicle along with any mods you may want to do in the future.

Example, my 2013 Mustang I bought new in 2013 has been tuned since 1000 miles on the car by a real tuner.
It is still tuned, now also heavily modified and has never had one problem out of it.

Sponsored

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don’t use a piggy back, get a real tune.
Man I really done know. This is my first Ford and they don’t quite have my faith enough to want to void such a major portion of the warranty

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
All good observations. Its been my experience that even a slight change in barometric pressure can have a significant change in HP output. Given that they are stating a rough 12% increase in power, half of this could be accounted for by a single inch/hg change. However, I had time to do some research on the 2.0 and this output seems on par with real world tuning. Looks like with some typical mods (intake, exhaust, intercooler, plugs, tune) they can produce around 320 hp. Speaking of, what is the peak boost pressure for this platform? I think I'll look around for a plug-in for additional monitoring like boost, etc.
I read 16.5psi from the factory, from our friend Buschur.

I am looking into the AEM multi-gauge for boost monitoring. Uses the OBDII port for power and signal.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man I really done know. This is my first Ford and they don’t quite have my faith enough to want to void such a major portion of the warranty
Ive never had to use my warranty for anything engine related in the last 4 new cars I bought, lol. 2 Fords and 2 Toyot’s. Prior to that I had a Chevy that had to have rotors replaced under warranty.

If I could buy a new car with a 1 year warranty and save all the money I would Paying for the warranty I would.

On my Mustang above only thing ever done under warranty was a airbag recall, go go Takata.

3 years/36k miles isn’t much of a warranty to begin with.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Two questions……..
1) If this, or any other gizmo, can increase performance (however one wants to define that), and increase MPG’s, why would Ford NOT install it on the vehicle in the first place?
The answer would typically be emissions. Look at the turbo diesels from VW for example, you got better power and fuel economy with their tune, but it was cheating a little bit on emissions. If you didn't care about emissions at all, you could likely get more power and fuel economy from it.

Usually though these simply overboost the turbo a bit, which comes with the downside that generally speaking you now have to use higher octane instead of it being optional, and the turbo is out of its efficiency range so slight extra wear and tear on the turbo and maybe the oil, and maybe a dip in fuel economy.
2) Is it really the intent of members of this “club” to mock some fellow members for wanting to do the honorable thing?
Its just a joke, and no need to simp for Ford, they'll be fine. There are worse people we should throw in the gulag first, like people that invented bagel bites or have blue checkmarks on twitter.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Coming from a tuning background, this seems overpriced for the gains. I'm betting there will be future tunes available with better gains, albeit, they will likely be flash type tunes vs this piggyback OBD2 plug-in. Also, given the current hp/tq figures, the gains shown could be very close to atmospheric variances too...in other words, they aren't much, and could be accounted for by dynoing on a different day. Just my opinion. With these little gains, I would find it hard to feel via seat of the pants any improvement. The selling site offers no dyno charts to show where the gains are, or if there are any peaks/valleys. Last, they have a picture of one of these units also showing a wiring harness, which if you go all the way to purchasing a unit, there is no mention of if the unit needs this harness or not. I should quantify this post in that my experience is with much higher HP vehicles, so perhaps my perspective is a bit skewed.
There might not be much more to wring out here. Buscher said he was having trouble getting gains and got more from the air intake and custom exhaust than from tuning and didn't think 300hp was doable. . Ford is already wringing a lot of power out of this engine.

In any case all this is in it's infancy for the mav, but he 2.0l ecoboost has been around a while. If there was power left on the table somebody would already know how to get it.

ybnormal07

First Name
Y B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Two questions……..
Is THAT the way your father raised you?
Consider this one a rhetorical question. But answer it to yourself, at least. “To thine own self, be true.”
I can only answer your first question. In this case, the unit itself comes with multiple maps, one of which I'm assuming is the "eco" map that supposedly will get you better MPG, and another, of course, is the performance tune that will get you more power. The "eco" tunes like this will typically change the rpm at which boost initiates, and will also lower peak boost, in addition to potentially changing the rpm's for the transmission shift points. All of this will naturally sacrifice power/speed. The manufacturer's will provide the facture ECU tuning with what would be essentially the sweet spot.....the most amount of power for the most amount of MPG, rather than providing more power with worse MPG, or more MPG with less performance. It has been my experience that while some tuners claim better MPG with a performance oriented tune, this is never the case in real world driving, especially with forced induction engines where the tune is essentially altering boost and timing, which will always affect MPG. NA engines aren't as much affected by this, but then again, it is virtually worthless to do a "tune" on an NA engine imho. Perhaps on a truck NA engine to raise torque levels, but that would be about the only useful application.

ybnormal07

First Name
Y B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
I read 16.5psi from the factory, from our friend Buschur.

I am looking into the AEM multi-gauge for boost monitoring. Uses the OBDII port for power and signal.
Thanks! Boy..they are really pushing this 2.0 aren't they? I have the AEM multi-guage in my ATS-V. Love it. Prep for going flex fuel setup with Ethanol.

ybnormal07

First Name
Y B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
There might not be much more to wring out here. Buscher said he was having trouble getting gains and got more from the air intake and custom exhaust than from tuning and didn't think 300hp was doable. . Ford is already wringing a lot of power out of this engine.

In any case all this is in it's infancy for the mav, but he 2.0l ecoboost has been around a while. If there was power left on the table somebody would already know how to get it.
I agree that this platform is being pushed pretty hard right out of the gate. I researched the 2.0 ford in general, and it appears about 320 is the max with supporting mods without digging into the top or bottom internals. My bet is cooling will have a lot to do with the peak numbers (intercooler specifically), but if someone manages to wrangle a flex fuel approach with an Ethanol tune, all bets are off.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
I agree that this platform is being pushed pretty hard right out of the gate. I researched the 2.0 ford in general, and it appears about 320 is the max with supporting mods without digging into the top or bottom internals. My bet is cooling will have a lot to do with the peak numbers (intercooler specifically), but if someone manages to wrangle a flex fuel approach with an Ethanol tune, all bets are off.
The 8 speed will be the variable ...
Sponsored