Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Christ, what a shit design all around.
Then you have never changed the oil on a polaris ranger............................................................

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is specific to the FX4 model only, correct?

My Lariat will not be off roading.....

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An eye-opener for sure! Loc-tite on the fasteners???
On the FX4...........probably cuts down on the "The bolts vibrated out of my off road truck and I ran the skid plate over!" complaints at the service dept.

I watched that kids video and he's not someone who wrenches. That's not an insult, not everyone is. But anyone who does anything more than the very basics will have the proper tools to overcome that loctite.

Sponsored

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It looks like based on earlier in this thread he didn't need to remove the large skid plate. He didn't seem to mention if there was locktite on the smaller plate.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
I think he had the right tools he just wasnt expecting there to be issue with these bolts, once he seen the issue he got the right tool.

I took skid plates off many times and never seen loctite on them and never had one fall off because lack if loctite. I have seen them get ripped off though but that has to do with hitting objects..

We he went wrong was his oil and filter choice, that does show a rookie.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
The big skid plate doesn't need to be removed! So much misinformation in this thread, and a really bad video. Look at the images posted earlier. You only need to remove the small front plate and the small black cover.

The fact that the bolts were glued and there is literally a plastic plate beneath the drain plug should be some clues that the larger skid plate isn't supposed to be removed for routine maintenance!

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you needed to remove the large skid plate, it seems like it wouldn't make sense to have the smaller skid plate and you could make it all one piece.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you needed to remove the large skid plate, it seems like it wouldn't make sense to have the smaller skid plate and you could make it all one piece.
The reason for the smaller skid plate is because the larger skid plate's manufacturing is shared with the Bronco Sport Badlands, which has a smaller front overhang.

Sponsored

thunaman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can confirm there is no Loctite on the screws or bolts that I removed from the small skid plate to take the pictures. The smaller screws were screwing into little metal body clips and I don't think Loctite would do much good there. The two larger bolts on either end were fairly long. If this was a vehicle that was constantly being driven off road I may think about applying some Loctite, but currently I don't feel it makes sense.

Leroy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Mtang,65 Ranchero,57 tbird,51 f1
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A simple solution for the filter would be for someone to design a mod to put a door in the front panel and give us an aftermarket front panel

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Doesnt the oil drain offset the the hole in the big skid plate? Not everyone wants to have oil dripping all over there skid plate and drive ways.. So remove might be required. I would like to see a video of a drain with the plate on..

MustardTiger

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2001 AWD Swapped Jetta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man, half the reason I wanted skid plates was so my catalytic converter doesn't get stolen. I guess I'll have to try out the old weld a piece of rebar on there trick.
Sponsored