First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With my EB AWD, I get 18-19 mpg in the winter and 22-23 mpg in the summer with city driving (a lot of stop and go). My best ever mpg is 31 in the summertime with little or no wind.
Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have two trucks with the only difference between them being 4K towing.

My wife drives the one without 4K and she has 10k+ on hers and averages 26.3 combined.

I drive the one with 4K and cover the same ground she does. It has 4K+ on it and it only averages 23.2 combined.

How knows?
23-24 mpg is exactly what I am averaging over the first 400 miles on my 4K truck. A mix of rural roads and highway driving. Very little "in town."

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Looking at everyone’s mpg estimates and I’m over here I’m getting 21-22mpg driving up and down a mountain daily. :rolleyes:
I live in the mountains. I have averaged 23 mpg over my first 400 miles. A lot of ups and downs to go anywhere. It makes a HUGE difference compared to these flatlanders!

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in the mountains. I have averaged 23 mpg over my first 400 miles. A lot of ups and downs to go anywhere. It makes a HUGE difference compared to these flatlanders!
I think it does too. I live in a part of KY that is rolling not steep, but it definitely holds the mileage down.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ckrivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick xlt 2.0 fwd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I get 31-32 hwy and 27 around town. Hwy mileage is around 70mph. XL eco with 4k and AWD
What kind of climate are you in. Those are numbers I was expecting with my fwd and have yet to see lol

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That would be great terraine for the Maverick.
Rolling hills- good conditions for a hybrid.

It's not all about number of miles with the engine off, a large factor is number of minutes with engine off. On the smallest downgrades, the engine can be off. With repeating gentle hills, lots of TIME with the engine off. Those are minutes without generating waste heat; which is what internal combustion engines are good at. Combustion!

Q: does any EcoBoost owner know: coasting downhill in Drive does Eco cut off ALL fuel or is still a small amount burned to keep it "idling" downhill?

Last edited:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Q: does any EcoBoost owner know: coasting downhill does Eco cut off ALL fuel or is still a small amount burned to keep it "idling" downhill?
I don't neutral coast, but my EB engine brakes quite nicely going down steeper grades....selecting the proper gear to hold 2500-3000 rpm. Actually engines brakes better than my 2.7 F150 did. I am surprised at how well it does for a 4cyl. Not sure what kind of duty cycle the injectors are on in this mode, but I'm sure there is still some fuel being being sprayed.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I meant just coasting or drifting downhill in Drive.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bro, keep the Eco!

That Hybrid is going to do NOTHING for your type of driving, likely worse in the winter. You are fighting physics; have to reduce speed to reduce wind drag, in order to improve fuel efficiency.
Pretty much. Hybrids shine in stop and go. If I had one I'd hardly ever fill the tank with all the stop and go I do.

I've had tanks where I averaged in the teens for MPG. OTOH driving very carefully on the highway I managed almost 32 one time.

It is fairly speed sensitive, 70 mph just about tops out efficiency for me - anything over and efficiency drops. The instant mpg meter is handy for finding the optimum speed.

Drive with a light foot and watch your speed.

LariatLifeTX

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought a fwd 2.0 eco back in November while still waiting on my hybrid order. I had read many forms from others that have the same base xlt that were getting mid 30s going 75-80 mpg on the highway. I’ve got 5000 miles on mine now and am very disappointed in it. I’m only averaging 28 and that’s on a good day. If there is even the slightest wind it’s down to around 22. My commute is 100 miles total and all highway. I keep my cruise set at 72 and in eco mode and haven’t seen anywhere close to 30s. Has anyone else noticed this or have any suggestions on how to improve this. If I can’t get the mpgs up I’ll be looking for a new vehicle unfortunately. Thanks
Mixed driving and 28 is my average. Not displeased at all as it is an all in Lariat w/Ecoboost. Fun to drive and great truck gas mileage

sgtcurry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Palisade, Model X, Ioniq 5
Engine
Undecided
I just got home from the dealer. First trip home 42 mile 80/20 hwy/city and got 31mpg on the dot. I dont have 4k just FX4. Far better than my Palisade, and old CX-9.

Reactions: bgn

Mac.dog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A tonneau cover will improve your mpg, especially on highways. People here have documented how much they improved.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You get eco or boost, not both, but 28mpg average is not that bad, not sure what you are expecting. If you can hear the turbo spooling up it is forcing air and fuel into the engine that gives you a smile, but hurts efficiency. Its why it can be hard for many to get good mpg in a turbo engine as its so tempting "let it eat." Fuel in this case, haha.
Sponsored