First Name
Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 & 2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love my Maverick hybrid, but we live up a dirt road in the mountains in New Mexico, and it's worthless in the snow. Yeah, I know, what do I expect. But I didn't want to hassle with seasonal snow tires, and our other car is AWD.

I've been reading about Performance All Weather tires. Some even have some level of snow rating, still with long tread life, good wet-dry handling and braking, but with higher rolling resistance. Does anybody have any experience with them?
Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love my Maverick hybrid, but we live up a dirt road in the mountains in New Mexico, and it's worthless in the snow. Yeah, I know, what do I expect. But I didn't want to hassle with seasonal snow tires, and our other car is AWD.

I've been reading about Performance All Weather tires. Some even have some level of snow rating, still with long tread life, good wet-dry handling and braking, but with higher rolling resistance. Does anybody have any experience with them?
Plenty of people running the very highly rated Michelin Crossclimate tires here. Feel free to search using the function in the top right corner. I am a big fan of Michelin tires and I don't think you can get much better than the Crossclimate 2 in terms of performance and all weather considering they are 3 peak rated.

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Plenty of people running the very highly rated Michelin Crossclimate tires here. Feel free to search using the function in the top right corner. I am a big fan of Michelin tires and I don't think you can get much better than the Crossclimate 2 in terms of performance and all weather considering they are 3 peak rated. Sponsored
What he said. I have the Cross Climate 2's on a car. Very, very good snow tire.

Directional tread, aggressive bite, will channel rain and slush well.

I can't speak to the tire wear rating and it is a bit noisy but an excellent tire nonetheless.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What he said. I have the Cross Climate 2's on a car. Very, very good snow tire.

Directional tread, aggressive bite, will channel rain and slush well.

I can't speak to the tire wear rating and it is a bit noisy but an excellent tire nonetheless.
I wonder why your quote of my post added the word "sponsored" to the end?

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Michelin Crossclimate 2 or FireStone Destination A/T2 are probably the 2 best options for the hybrid. Get them in 235/65R17 and you should be good! Either option only will add about 3lb per tire over stock!

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone considering directional tread tires, keep in mind, proper rotation requires remounting & rebalancing, for max tire service life.

22RolloverClub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek, 2019 VW Jetta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone considering directional tread tires, keep in mind, proper rotation requires remounting & rebalancing, for max tire service life.
I've always just rotated directional tires front to back on the same side. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Seems silly to have tires remounted and balanced every rotation. Sounds like pricy way to stretch a few extra miles out of tires.
Ford Maverick Performance all weather tires? jVp

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've always just rotated directional tires front to back on the same side. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Seems silly to have tires remounted and balanced every rotation. Sounds like pricy way to stretch a few extra miles out of tires.
jVp.gif
For maximum tread life, proper rotation requires crossing sides (typically rears cross to front, front goes straight back). Any method otherwise is just reduced tread life. Not a big deal, but just something to be aware of, as many people are not familiar with directional tread tires.

Sponsored

snowkarver

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are serious about winter performance above all else in an all-weather tire, I have run three generations of Nokian WR SUV tires for over a decade - WRG2, WRG3, and just installed WRG4s on my daily Volvos. The WR line was the first all-weather to ever receive the 3PSF.

Snowy passes in the Cascades, a foot of slush in town, dirt roads, muddy springtime Forest Service roads, never had a problem. They run like performance A/S tires in the summer, with slightly less tread life. I will probably never put anything else ever on a CUV or SUV.

The WRs are more aggressively siped than the CCs or any of the other stock Mav tires except the Wildpeak. For even more traction, they also just released the Outpost APT and A/T, which use the same compound, but built specifically for heavier SUVs and light trucks. But they are not as refined on the highway in summer, of course.

Nokian makes hands-down the best snow and ice tires on the planet - the design and compounds of the WR and Outpost are based on their Hakka winter tread.

Being a driving enthusiast in Canada, I have years of experience with snow, ice, and winter performance tires from Bridgestone, Dunlop, Pirelli, Conti, and Michelin - I don’t bother anymore with the WRs.

Last edited:

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are serious about winter performance above all else in an all-weather tire, I have run three generations of Nokian WR SUV tires for over a decade - WRG2, WRG3, and just installed WRG4s on my daily Volvos. The WR line was the first all-weather to ever receive the 3PSF.

Snowy passes in the Cascades, dirt roads, muddy springtime Forest Service Roads, never had a problem. They are more agressively siped than the CCs or any of the stock Mav tires except the Wildpeak.

For even more A/T they also just released the Outposts, which use the same compound, but specifically for heavier SUVs and light trucks.

Nokian makes the best snow and ice tires on the planet - the design and compounds of the WR and Outpost are based on their Hakka winter tread.
I'm a fan of Nokian Snow Tires, I ran Hakkas before I moved to a warmer climate. The WR has been plagued with problems with dry rotting and cracking. Not sure what happened up there in Finland but they dropped the ball with the WR. This is pretty widespread so if you never had problems consider yourself lucky.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you switch sides the direction of the tire would be wrong. I think, lol

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you’re going to be going through dirt and mud roads both the CrossClimates and the WRG4 will poor performers.
Get the Nokian Outpost APT. They’re all-weather, have a low rolling resistance and severe snow rated.

Ford Maverick Performance all weather tires? 8B1CC236-40A3-4090-96D1-95E2CFED0915

Ford Maverick Performance all weather tires? 98F92EB5-9905-4FE3-A80F-9FE91F601140

snowkarver

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60, XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you’re going to be going through dirt and mud roads both the CrossClimates and the WRG4 will poor performers.
Get the Nokian Outpost APT. They’re all-weather, have a low rolling resistance and severe snow rated.
How do you like the APTs on the Maverick? Tried them in the cold/winter conditions? I’m looking forward to the Wildpeaks when my Tremor arrives, but will probably go back to Nokian with the Outpost A/T when they kick the bucket.

Also, although I too would rather have the Outposts if my priority was dirt, the WRs are fairly decent when the going gets a bit rough. Ask me how I know (it’s why I’m getting a Tremor) 😂
Sponsored