First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can understand the excitement of having the latest thing but have to puzzle over people lining up to order a vehicle they have never put eyes on or a butt in the seat of. I will need to see, touch, and certainly drive a Maverick before I lay down my hard-earned money. Online shopping works for some small ticket items but for a vehicle brand new to the market? Explain this to me.
Sponsored

Dbergie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan, Kia
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can understand the excitement of having the latest thing but have to puzzle over people lining up to order a vehicle they have never put eyes on or a butt in the seat of. I will need to see, touch, and certainly drive a Maverick before I lay down my hard-earned money. Online shopping works for some small ticket items but for a vehicle brand new to the market? Explain this to me.
You are not obligated to pay for it once you see it. I believe you have two days to make a decision once the dealer receives the vehicle.

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Putting an order in does not require you to purchase the vehicle when it arrives. You still have the ability to inspect and drive the vehicle before sitting down to hash out all of the details and officially purchase the vehicle. The dealer doesnā€™t loose anything if you back out either as they can then keep that vehicle on the lot. Thatā€™s an extra vehicle they were not allocated that they could potentially add a mark up to since itā€™s a new model.

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are not obligated to pay for it once you see it. I believe you have two days to make a decision once the dealer receives the vehicle.
I imagine that 2 day policy varies by dealer.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When buying new cars, I've always focused first on the specifications, features, MPG, price, options, reliability, etc. In other words, nothing that requires me to touch the actual vehicle. Only once I've narrowed the choices down, do I actually set foot in a dealership to verify that I'm actually OK with the car. So, that's what I'm doing here as well. If I don't like it when it arrives, nothing requires me to buy it. My dealer didn't even require a refundable down payment, since he can likely sell it quickly if I don't want it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd also like to see the truck get some real-world use to see how it does and if Ford comes back with some tweaks and recalls. I can wait 6-months or even a year if I have to so long as my "old steed" keeps running well.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I suspect that there will be more demand for the Maverick than Ford realizes. My concern is that they will be hard to get a hold of in the first model year and that the price will jump up by a couple thousand dollars in the second model year. Most dealers are allowing you to order with a refundable deposit. If the truck arrives and I don't like it or don't like the way it drives, I won't buy it. I would get my $500 back and the dealership would have a brand new truck to sell at any markup they see fit. It's a win-win in my book, even if I back out.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I imagine that 2 day policy varies by dealer.
The 2 days to decide policy might vary from dealer to dealer, but they would be stupid to not allow some sort of timeframe to decide. Federal law allows a 3 day "cooling off period". That means that even after you have signed the paperwork to buy it, you have 3 days to change your mind and void all of the paperwork. Dealerships don't want you to do that. If you're going to turn it down, they'd rather you do it BEFORE you buy it.

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sure there will also be demo vehicles available in due time where you'll be able to sit in, inspect, and possibly drive before your ordered Maverick gets here.

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will say this was a consideration before making an order.

For me, I am pressing up against the end of life on my existing vehicle. I will likely have to purchase a replacement in the next 6 months or so. My original plan was to move to an EV truck such as the Lightning or the vaporous Cybertruck, but they are not likely to be here until mid to late 2022. So the Maverick pops up. It checks all the boxes and this isn't Fords first rodeo in truck making. Unless it is an unmitigated disaster it will be fine for me. You can always find cars with model years that have issues, not always the intro year.

As my main vehicle it primarily just needs to be reliable. On an average week I might put 200km in travel? I'm not going to do 10 hour road trips, so it doesn't have to be super comfortable. I'm not hauling or towing anything big right now, so it doesn't have to be a performance king. I need it for dirt/mulch, 2 kayaks and groceries, bulky purchases.

Alternatives? I could buy a used truck, but it would not be nearly as fuel efficient as the Maverick and could just as easily have mechanical issues show up or I could wait until units show up at dealer lots and hope to get the config I want at the price I want. Neither is a preferable option to me.

Bottom line is the production timing and price/features of this truck dovetail exact to my need. Yes, there is some risk, I am essentially putting my trust in Ford to deliver a decent product. Lets hope they do that!

Sponsored

kcjayman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape Titanium, 2014 F-150 Limited, Mustang+
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't really have a problem with it. The 2L Ecoboost AWD powertrain is the same one I have in my current escape. Ive driven the bronco sport so its all pretty relative to me. That's why I ordered, but yes no obligation to buy once it comes in and I drive it.

Younglefthander

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 22 Bronco Sport Big Ben
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I suspect that there will be more demand for the Maverick than Ford realizes. My concern is that they will be hard to get a hold of in the first model year and that the price will jump up by a couple thousand dollars in the second model year. Most dealers are allowing you to order with a refundable deposit. If the truck arrives and I don't like it or don't like the way it drives, I won't buy it. I would get my $500 back and the dealership would have a brand new truck to sell at any markup they see fit. It's a win-win in my book, even if I back out.
Couldnā€™t agree more. My last truck was 25 + years ago. GMC Sonoma. Loved the versatility but was only a 2 door. Grew out of it, then trucks became too big and was gas monsters. So drove cars ever since. 3 months ago I wasnā€™t even looking for a truck, Ford introduces the Maverick. Perfect fit for my daily needs.
Sat down with the dealer past weekend. He said they canā€™t keep up with reservations. Expects most if not all reservations will sale once they come in and they cannot order for inventory until reservations are taken care of, so he expects inventory to be slim for a while. My wife ordered one but is not 100% sure she will want when it arrives.
No loss for me as my $100 deposit is completely refundable. Dealer could care less if I end up buying, they know they will sell it.
Ford hit a grand slam here and their slogan of this truck is for those who didnā€™t know they needed a truck is spot on.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
I trust Ford and I know what to expect from a hybrid as far as driving experience.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
The 2 days to decide policy might vary from dealer to dealer, but they would be stupid to not allow some sort of timeframe to decide. Federal law allows a 3 day "cooling off period". That means that even after you have signed the paperwork to buy it, you have 3 days to change your mind and void all of the paperwork. Dealerships don't want you to do that. If you're going to turn it down, they'd rather you do it BEFORE you buy it.
While there is a "cooling off period" law, I don't believe it applies to vehicle purchases. I understand this is due to the lost value on returning a now "used " vehicle.

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't doubt the price will rise in the second year but by then there will also be low-mile used Mavericks. I'd be fine with a gently used truck where someone else took the initial price hit. I haven't bought a brand new vehicle in over 40 years.
Sponsored