First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hate clutter in my truck, and the cable for Apple CarPlay has annoyed me for the two weeks I’ve had the Maverick (which I THOROUGHLY enjoy!), so I did something about it. The short version is:
- I got a right angle USB-C to right angle Lightning cable,
- Drilled 2 holes and ran it under the tray (actually I had to cut a slit next to the hole to make the opening big enough to get the Lightning connector through. After I got it through both openings, I superglued the slits back together being careful not to superglue the cable to the tray, so it can move freely if you want.)
- Made a wood piece to fit in the tray,
- Superglued the lightning connector to the wood piece,
- Used command strips to hold the wood piece to the tray and the tray to the console (for when I take the phone out).
- Total cost was $13: $3 - Command Strips, $10 - cable, $0 - Super Glue & wood piece (already had them)

This also keeps me from getting a wireless gadget for $75 or more to do CarPlay without the cable. I’m ok with just dropping the phone in the slot when I get in and pulling it out when I get out of the truck.

Lastly, I figured if I cut up the orange tray & this didn't work, a replacement tray is probably only $20 or so. It was worth a shot to me, and so far is working well.

*** Update after 3 weeks ***

First & foremost, it's still working perfectly after nearly a month! Apparently I used the right amount and type of glue and adhesives, because it's still holding firm.

I installed the plug using my normal phone, so the plug that sticks up is slightly off center to the right. When I go to put my phone on it, I just put my phone up against the right side and slide it down. Fits perfectly. An iPhone 13 Plus won't fit. If I had put the plug in the center, a plus phone could use it too.

For anyone who has 2 different size phones, you'll want to install the plug using the larger one.

To get the plug in the right place, I put the tray in the truck, the wood block in its place, plugged the cable into the phone, put a little glue on the bottom of the cable, put the phone in place. After a minute, I held the plug down with my hand and pulled the phone off and then applied more glue liberally and let sit overnight.

Ford Maverick One handed, decluttered Apple CarPlay/Android Auto F02FCB6C-438F-400E-992C-0E22C95C62D6
Ford Maverick One handed, decluttered Apple CarPlay/Android Auto EB7C13B3-9820-4CBF-A643-EB1C87A63385
Ford Maverick One handed, decluttered Apple CarPlay/Android Auto 364AF9F6-7BB6-4EB9-AF62-50C307A9BEF6
Ford Maverick One handed, decluttered Apple CarPlay/Android Auto 59C4B119-DA87-406F-AF95-D78A3A5F61EA
Ford Maverick One handed, decluttered Apple CarPlay/Android Auto 0E9D8D03-31CA-4519-B191-50631CC90E37
Ford Maverick One handed, decluttered Apple CarPlay/Android Auto IMG_3561
Sponsored

Last edited:

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nice Mod!

OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cool. I'm annoyed at the wired onky Android Auto. Makes wireless charging much less beneficial. I may get the wireless adapter, but that's just another thing to act up and have to mess with.

Sponsored

Lorenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150 XL
Recommend the wireless adapter I'm using for you. named MMB Multimedia AI Box, that enables wireless connection with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The most incredible thing is that it can use streaming Apps on the build-in screen. Because my wife can watch Netflix and it made a irritating time for her go by so much faster and I didn’t have to listen to her complaining, which made for a much nicer 3 hour drive. Highly recommend!
Ford Maverick One handed, decluttered Apple CarPlay/Android Auto 23214324

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Recommend the wireless adapter I'm using for you. named MMB Multimedia AI Box, that enables wireless connection with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The most incredible thing is that it can use streaming Apps on the build-in screen. Because my wife can watch Netflix and it made a irritating time for her go by so much faster and I didn’t have to listen to her complaining, which made for a much nicer 3 hour drive. Highly recommend!
23214324.png
I looked up a YouTube review on that multimedia box. Can the icons in the lower right of the home screen be changed out for a user's preferred common apps?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I find this coiled cable works decently to have full extension but also compact and not messy.

MaverRick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MachE 4EX 2022 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Wife who has wireless CarPlay in her car was annoyed by having to use a cord as well. She ordered a short USB cable for my IPhone. In fact it is so short that I have to place the phone upside down in the holder for it to reach! Lol

Stive

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Lexus RX350, Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
23214324.png
So with this CarPlay adapter, are you able to see the maps navigation on the XL screen?

and the answer is yes. I just received this device, updated it, plugged it into the USB port in the truck, paired it with my phone, and voilà, maps app is on the screen. Nice!

Last edited:
Sponsored

dadd75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.universityofheaven.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2013 Buick Encore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok, as I wait for my Maverick to be built, 'someday', I have a question concerning Apple Carplay. My F150 had navigation, which the Maverick does not. I am not a tech person, but my question is: Will I be using 'data' when I use Apple or Google maps? I have purchased a wireless dongle, and currently we only have 3 GIG of data per month with our cell phones. Will I need to get 'unlimited' data going forward once my Maverick is built?
Thanks!

OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure if all Mavericks come with a 3 month free hot spot (like the router/modem in your home), but my XLT did. After that your phone is the one who provides the data, so if you use the map constantly, you might need to increase your data.

But 3 GB/month might be enough. I’d give it a try before increasing my plan. I currently only get 2 GB/month and haven’t noticed a problem yet.

But my plan, Tello, gives me 2GB at 5G speeds and then unlimited data at 2G speeds for $15/month; so I always have data, it’s just slower if I go over the 2GB. And I always have unlimited talk & text. They use Sprint towers I believe.

If anyone wants to switch to them, I’d appreciate you letting them know I referred you. We both get a $10 credit.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok, as I wait for my Maverick to be built, 'someday', I have a question concerning Apple Carplay. My F150 had navigation, which the Maverick does not. I am not a tech person, but my question is: Will I be using 'data' when I use Apple or Google maps? I have purchased a wireless dongle, and currently we only have 3 GIG of data per month with our cell phones. Will I need to get 'unlimited' data going forward once my Maverick is built?
Thanks!
Apple CarPlay is basically projecting your iPhone onto the car's touchscreen. All data goes through your cellular plan just like if you had Apple/Google Maps running on your phone without connecting it to the truck.

That said, so long as you don't enable satellite imagery, navigation does not use all that much data. You could give it a try and just make sure to keep track of your data usage. If it adds up too quick for you, you'll have to find another option. But I don't think you'll have to. For me, using Waze (another navigation app) with Android Auto only amounts to ~200 MB per month.

OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Apple CarPlay is basically projecting your iPhone onto the car's touchscreen. All data goes through your cellular plan just like if you had Apple/Google Maps running on your phone without connecting it to the truck.

That said, so long as you don't enable satellite imagery, navigation does not use all that much data. You could give it a try and just make sure to keep track of your data usage. If it adds up too quick for you, you'll have to find another option. But I don't think you'll have to. For me, using Waze (another navigation app) with Android Auto only amounts to ~200 MB per month.
Thanks!
jsus is right. I had my phone attached to Apple Carplay all the way to Orlando (From Raleigh, NC) and back, and the phone only used 320MB of data on the Maps app for the whole month. And on the plus side, my phone charges the whole time I'm driving.

pawalsh610

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick 1st Edition Lariat, Mazda 2
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK, what you have shown looks like something I would like to do but where does the other end of the cable plug in? I think I am missing something.
Sponsored