On the fence...help me decide...

Xinnes88X

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
So right now I have a 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x with 74,500 miles on it. Has been a great truck..but I am looking forward to something with better gas mileage. I am considering going with an XLT AWD Maverick...as I still need some type of 4x4 system to get through snow. I have been reading everyone's posts...and find mostly positive reviews.

I guess my biggest fear is getting rid of the rig I have now and going into a first year XLT Maverick...and if it may come out as a disappointment. I should also say...I did purchase a first year model vehicle, a Cherokee when they first came out, and man what a POS that was...almost lemon lawed it. Thoughts would be great! Here is a picture of my Pro-4x below!
Ford Maverick On the fence...help me decide... Truck!
Sponsored

Last edited:

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had mine for two weeks and 800ish miles and so far the only "complaints" I have are 1. totally subjective and 2. incredibly minor. A quick google search tells me you're averaging maybe 20-21mpg. I'm averaging just under 27 overall at about 80 percent city driving and 20 percent highway and interstate speeds. I'm also running upsized (245/65) tires. It's a great "truck" thus far and I have no regrets.

OP
OP

Xinnes88X

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had mine for two weeks and 800ish miles and so far the only "complaints" I have are 1. totally subjective and 2. incredibly minor. A quick google search tells me you're averaging maybe 20-21mpg. I'm averaging just under 27 overall at about 80 percent city driving and 20 percent highway and interstate speeds. I'm also running upsized (245/65) tires. It's a great "truck" thus far and I have no regrets.
Yah... I am averaging about 19 mpg highway...and about 16 mpg around town stock truck....so the mpg increase would defiantly be great!

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If its just for economic reasons, to save money on gas, I doubt it would pay off.

Right now you're likely to pay full MSRP, and the depreciation and other fees over the next few years compared to your current vehicle will most likely exceed your fuel savings. Your current vehicle will depreciate too, but at a much lower dollar level due to its advanced age and mileage. Carmageddon vehicle shortages may persist through 2022, but probably not two years after.

You have to have more reasons to want a new vehicle than fuel savings IMO, as it rarely pays for itself because depreciation is such a huge factor compared to fuel for most people.

For example, data for 21 and 22 models isn't out yet, but here's a 5-year cost of ownership estimate for a used 2020 Ecoboost Escape (relative of the Maverick):
Ford Maverick On the fence...help me decide... Capture.JPG

This is the cost of owning a 2016 Frontier:
Ford Maverick On the fence...help me decide... Capture2.JPG

The depreciation of a new vehicle should be higher than a used one, since depreciation tends to be highest the first year of ownership. You aren't paying taxes and fees, nor financing probably if you own it by now, so total cost of ownership keeping your Nissan would be about $16K cheaper after 5-years.

Even old gas guzzler beaters tend to be cheaper to run into the ground than upgrading to something new and efficient. People usually want something new just because its new and fresh, has newer technology, looks nicer no scratches and what not yet, is different in a way that meets their needs better, and so forth.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I typically buy new and keep my vehicles for about 125k miles. So if your Frontier meets your needs, I'd think you should run her a few more years and get a '24 Mav if it makes sense at that time.

I agree that the fuel savings won't likely offset the financial cost of retiring your Nissan early.
On the other hand, trade-ins are currently off the charts. So if you could get a Mav at MSRP and a good price for the Nissan...maybe.

But I think we've seen that you're not likely to get MSRP on a stock Mav. And by the time you got a retail order delivered (at MSRP), the used market might not be as hot. You could order and then decide what to do when the truck comes in and you negotiate the final deal.

Bottom line, if I were you, I'd run the Nissan for at least a few more years.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Xinnes88X

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If its just for economic reasons, to save money on gas, I doubt it would pay off.

Right now you're likely to pay full MSRP, and the depreciation and other fees over the next few years compared to your current vehicle will most likely exceed your fuel savings. Your current vehicle will depreciate too, but at a much lower dollar level due to its advanced age and mileage. Carmageddon vehicle shortages may persist through 2022, but probably not two years after.

You have to have more reasons to want a new vehicle than fuel savings IMO, as it rarely pays for itself because depreciation is such a huge factor compared to fuel for most people.

For example, data for 21 and 22 models isn't out yet, but here's a 5-year cost of ownership estimate for a used 2020 Ecoboost Escape (relative of the Maverick):
Capture.JPG

This is the cost of owning a 2016 Frontier:
Capture2.JPG

The depreciation of a new vehicle should be higher than a used one, since depreciation tends to be highest the first year of ownership. You aren't paying taxes and fees, nor financing probably if you own it by now, so total cost of ownership keeping your Nissan would be about $16K cheaper after 5-years.

Even old gas guzzler beaters tend to be cheaper to run into the ground than upgrading to something new and efficient. People usually want something new just because its new and fresh, has newer technology, looks nicer no scratches and what not yet, is different in a way that meets their needs better, and so forth.
Very informative....this is great information that you passed on. Greatly appreciate it!

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe hold off and see if they come out with a hybrid AWD one day, if you'd like to get that hybrid MPG.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe hold off and see if they come out with a hybrid AWD one day, if you'd like to get that hybrid MPG.
Good point. That's another reason to hold off a year or two. Nobody here knows, but there's been plenty of speculation that an AWD hybrid will come pretty soon.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good point. That's another reason to hold off a year or two. Nobody here knows, but there's been plenty of speculation that an AWD hybrid will come pretty soon.
And if they don't by the time you're ready for a new truck, that new Frontier looks pretty good....

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And if they don't by the time you're ready for a new truck, that new Frontier looks pretty good....
If you buy a new Frontier, at least you won't feel left behind since they probably won't redesign it again until flying cellphone scooters render them obsolete in 30 years.

Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you buy a new Frontier, at least you won't feel left behind since they probably won't redesign it again until flying cellphone scooters render them obsolete in 30 years.
Funny! But true. LoL

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
Ford Maverick On the fence...help me decide... E0699B8C-8081-4F4C-A16A-74A62BA724C6

It would be a HUGE mistake to compare these vehicles because the Pro4x is a do everything truck.

The Maverick was built for city driving, minor trails, and more car like driving. The Maverick advantage is the MPG, better turning radius, compact size, and smoother ride.

If you are towing, hauling, and need to off road, keep the Pro4x. However, if you rarely do any of the above, the Maverick could be a solid choice for you.

Finally, do not confuse the Fx4 with the Pro4x (or any other Frontier 4x4 trim) because it is not even close because the Maverick AWD system was not designed for that.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
So right now I have a 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x with 74,500 miles on it. Has been a great truck..but I am looking forward to something with better gas mileage.
Hey, we have nearly similar trucks. And similar desires. The gas mileage isn't too bothersome to me; it's the cruising range. I can go about 250 miles before I need to find a gas station. 180 miles if I'm towing the 6x12 U-haul enclosed.

Going up to 500 miles on a tank (FWD hybrid) and being able to carry an additional 200 miles in the form of 5 gallons of fuel in the bed would be nice! Sure beats getting 90 miles from the same 5 gallons!

Yah... I am averaging about 19 mpg highway...and about 16 mpg around town stock truck....so the mpg increase would defiantly be great!
I barely cross into 18mpg if I go no faster than 65mph on the freeway. I have a topper that sticks above the cab a few inches and mud-terrain tires. Suspension is stock and I have the chin spoiler still on.

I agree. I'd consider the gas savings a bonus. It shouldn't be the primary reason that you want a newer vehicle, otherwise it will take a long time to pay off in gas savings.

Same goes for having a "gas saver" commuter. Unless your first vehicle gets really bad gas mileage and your commuter is very cheap and very good on gas, it'll likely never pay off in a reasonable time.

That's what I'm holding my breath for. Going from 18mpg to 27mpg is good, but going from 18mpg to maybe 35+ mpg is even better. Or heck, a PHEV would be nice. I'd be willing to compromise and get a FWD PHEV vs. an AWD hybrid.

That's one reason why I bought a Frontier. Sure, the gas mileage sucks (my V10 F-250 got just two MPG less), but it's been largely unchanged since 2005 with the last major refresh in 2012. Truck is cheap to buy (that tooling has probably paid itself off several times over), problems are known/fixed, parts are cheap and everywhere.

If you are towing, hauling, and need to off road, keep the Pro4x. However, if you rarely do any of the above, the Maverick could be a solid choice for you.
You described me right there. I don't use the extended capabilities of the Frontier. Last nail in the coffin was my race partner buying his own tow rig. Now I just need to move household goods and maybe tow the 5x8 enclosed U-haul, all of which the Maverick can do, some even better, such as hauling 4x8 sheet goods.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you checked your actual speedometer. I have 2018 2wheel drive sv on factory tires speedo off 2.6mph at 70mph

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Have you checked your actual speedometer. I have 2018 2wheel drive sv on factory tires speedo off 2.6mph at 70mph
The speedo is off but the OBD-II readout and the odometer are reasonably close to GPS data.

With factory tires on my SV, the speedo was indicating 62mph-ish (analog speedo as you know) while the OBD-II and the GPS were reading 60mph. The GPS odometer and the dash odometer were within a tenth of a mile over 50+ miles.

I think the rate at which the servo motor that sweeps the speedo gauge is off.
Sponsored