2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If my driving just occasionally needs traction in soft sand, but not off-roading in rough terrain, do I need a true 4-wheel drive off-road package or will the AWD in the Maverick be adequate?
Sponsored

Cullione

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FX4 is a relatively cheap option. It really won't make much of a difference for what you are looking for.

Having skid plates, extra cooling, and front tow hooks make the option well worth it in my mind though. Supposedly the shocks are different or tuned different as well.

OP
OP
ArtP

ArtP

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I agree that the FX4 package is worth the cost, but cost is not the issue. Rather, the issue is finding a built truck that has it. That's why I asked if AWD is adequate for my 4 wheel needs.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree that the FX4 package is worth the cost, but cost is not the issue. Rather, the issue is finding a built truck that has it. That's why I asked if AWD is adequate for my 4 wheel needs.
The FX4 has the same exact AWD system that the normal Ecoboost AWD has. The difference comes in 2 different drive modes that you would have to add with Forscan and hill descent control. Outside of the AWD system, the FX4 has a skid plate under the engine and tow hooks along with different shocks/struts. From what I can tell you'll do just fine with the non FX4. For what it's worth I added the extra drive modes and hill descent control to my XL

B2300

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Abhay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For what it's worth I added the extra drive modes and hill descent control to my XL
Can you share more details about adding hill descent to the XL?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The Tremor has sure treated me well in alot of situations.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you share more details about adding hill descent to the XL?

Thank you in advance.
Got an IPC and console switch out of a salvage yard FX4 Maverick. Added them along with a 12g wire to the console harness and then loaded the IPC module bas built data from the salvage FX4 and voila. Cost me about $150 and sure the FX4 package is only 700 or something but it also requires XLT trim which I had no interest in upgrading to considering that meant another few thousand just to get FX4. XL has better looking interior and I'm cheap.

Gray Goose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Terrain Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If my driving just occasionally needs traction in soft sand, but not off-roading in rough terrain, do I need a true 4-wheel drive off-road package or will the AWD in the Maverick be adequate?
Tires are going to be a much bigger factor than the FX4 package. FX4 does come with tire upgrade, but tires designed for sand added to the stock AWD likely will perform better than FX4 stock tires.
https://www.truckthatbeach.com/blog/choosing-the-best-beach-truck-tires

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The XL AWD is more than capable of doing the Job!

Ford Maverick Off-Road Package or Just AWD? 23 AWD XL

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sand can be tricky and the FX4 wouldn't help you out anymore than the standard AWD. You're likely fine but if you find yourself spinning a wheel uh-oh......

Sponsored
OP
OP
ArtP

ArtP

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks for the answers. I've got an order in with the FX4 package included, but I'm going to look around if I don't get notice by January of a production date. Nice to know that an AWD model without the FX4 package is an option for me. I would still miss the A/T tires and trailer receiver. There are other options to get the trailer receiver but not the tires.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sand can be tricky and the FX4 wouldn't help you out anymore than the standard AWD. You're likely fine but if you find yourself spinning a wheel uh-oh......
Thats why we got that uh-oh button in the Tremor. I spin alot on my driveway with nothing engaged, but 4 wheel lock and rear locker will hault that spinning halfway up the driveway if I forgot.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thats why we got that uh-oh button in the Tremor. I spin alot on my driveway with nothing engaged, but 4 wheel lock and rear locker will hault that spinning halfway up the driveway if I forgot.
I'll go once up the mountain and she'll hop and fuss maybe slide a little but finds her way.

Then I'll lock 4WD and hit the rear locker for the most rutted out section and the Tremor just scoots right up it like a billy goat.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'll go once up the mountain and she'll hop and fuss maybe slide a little but finds her way.

Then I'll lock 4WD and hit the rear locker for the most rutted out section and the Tremor just scoots right up it like a billy goat.
That's what I will do on other people's trail pretty much. On our driveway, simply for its preservation I go for minimum wheel spin. It's been bad enough after a storm that my comanche even needed multiple attempts. That's why it has a winch when it gets bad it goes up first, makes a path and can haul material down to fill ruts as needed. Last time the ruts got as deep as 14 inches. Good thing the Tremor has the traction control to ride the high lines.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks for the answers. I've got an order in with the FX4 package included, but I'm going to look around if I don't get notice by January of a production date. Nice to know that an AWD model without the FX4 package is an option for me. I would still miss the A/T tires and trailer receiver. There are other options to get the trailer receiver but not the tires.
Definitely get the 4k package it's gear ration will make off-road situations easier.
Sponsored